Recommendations on a bolt action 223 under $800?

I personally like the mossberg MVP. It has several variants and barrel lengths, and it takes AR magazines. I've got mags-a-plenty so it's a big selling point to me. Edited by KKing
[quote name="molonlabetn" post="1147151" timestamp="1399583730"]Savage for sure. I personally own a Remington 700 in .223, and I wish I'd gone with a Savage... not that Savage would be any better, overall, but it's at least equivalent, for much much less money.[/quote] I will have to add the caveat with my suggestion. If the extra $200 or so won't hurt you, I'd go with the Savage too. The MVP can be had for under $600, so naturally it won't be quite as refined as the Savage

What features do you want in a rifle?

Do you want a world of aftermarket support, or just a fairly decent rifle out of the box?

Stainless or blued? Synthetic or wood stock?

Blind, flush, or detachable magazine?

What distances do you want to shoot accurately?

Do you already have glass for your rifle? Or will you have to buy glass as well on your $800 budget?

What features do you want in a rifle?

Do you want a world of aftermarket support, or just a fairly decent rifle out of the box?

Stainless or blued? Synthetic or wood stock?

Blind, flush, or detachable magazine?

What distances do you want to shoot accurately?

Do you already have glass for your rifle? Or will you have to buy glass as well on your $800 budget?

good points..I should have stated up them front

no stock preference...

blued or stainless 

detachable magazine

200 yards to 600 yards

glass not part of the $800

sturdy but smooth bolt

I guess reliability and accuracy would be the two main objectives

I don't know much about the CZ but have shot other Savage rifles and they were very accurate. That Savage from Buds looks real nice for the money.

Edited by polecat

A CZ and Savage will be comparable in accuracy, but the CZ will have a better fit and finish overall.  A Savage will shoot, but it certainly isn't the prettiest gun available.  A CZ with wood stock can be an heirloom gun that you pass down.  It will also have a better blue job if you go with blue.  I would be very comfortable with either one.  The only thing I don't like about the CZ's is the way the magazine sticks down.  

I have both and would buy both again. I am personally more partial to fit and finish so therefore I have more CZ's than Savages. 

Edited by Hozzie

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a Remington VLS (Heavy Barrel Varmint, laminate stock) in 308. Also have a Mossberg MVP in .223.

The VLS in in your price range, The MVP is about half the price. In fit finish and feel the VLS is far superior to the MVP. I can’t make a direct compassion on them for accuracy because the glass on the VLS is far superior to the glass on the MVP and I haven’t shot the MVP much.

My question would be why do you want to spend that much on a target rifle that will do 600 yards and then pick .223 for the round? That will be your weak point on accuracy for long range shooting.

Sorry but my recommendation would be a Heavy barrel Remington or Savage in 308.
  • Like 1

I have a Remington VLS (Heavy Barrel Varmint, laminate stock) in 308. Also have a Mossberg MVP in .223.

The VLS in in your price range, The MVP is about half the price. In fit finish and feel the VLS is far superior to the MVP. I can’t make a direct compassion on them for accuracy because the glass on the VLS is far superior to the glass on the MVP and I haven’t shot the MVP much.

My question would be why do you want to spend that much on a target rifle that will do 600 yards and then pick .223 for the round? That will be your weak point on accuracy for long range shooting.

Sorry but my recommendation would be a Heavy barrel Remington or Savage in 308.

Dave is right, even though .223 will do 600, even 1000yd with the right setup, you're better off going with at least a 7mm beyond 500yd. I have a bolt .223 solely for precision shots under 300yd with a suppressor so I can shoot all day without earmuffs on. I wouldn't attempt anything repeatable past 500 with it without better optics and ammo. I guess what we're saying, to get 600yd performance, you're going to spend money either way you go.

I also would steer clear of the 223.  Its cheap practice ammo but it has issues at long ranges.   If you handload, there are tons of options.  If you do not, 308 might be the answer as it is fairly inexpensive but it is a bit of recoil in a bench gun / bolt gun.   I highly recommend picking a different round and then loading your own for it -- a low power 308 or 243 or any of dozens of others would all do better than a 223.  

If you did go with 223, would heavy bullets do better at longer ranges (inertia to resist crosswinds etc?).   Not 100% sure...  but the ammo choice for 223 means the right barrel twist so gotta think about it before buying.

• Like 1
Most bolt action .223s I've seen come with a 1-12" twist, for light >55gr bullets. You can get Savage and Remington in 1-9" for sure though, which mine is, and it stabilizes 69gr very well. I'd love to find an out of the box .223 bolt gun with a 1-7" twist so I can use the same 77gr stuff as my AR, for more serious shooting.
Another vote for the CZ 527. Even the carbine version tends to be very accurate. It is a 1/12 twist. Many CZs still show up on the dealer racks with nice figured walnut. They just don't seem to hit the store racks very often nowadays. You might check out the CZUSA site for details. Excellent customer service is a plus also.

I really like Savage rifles. The wood thumb hole stock is one of my favorites and the accutrigger is one of the best out of the box triggers out there imho. I have not shot a CZ so I cannot offer any comparison, but I don't think you would be disappointed either way.