How do You Shave?

• Moderators

A little backstory:

For years I've been using an old Gillete DE Safety razor. Well, a friend convinced me to try a Braun Series 7 790c. I tried it for about a week. Using it, in my opinion, is unenjoyable and frustrating. It would give a close shave, but I have to go over each area many times because it is so unpredictiable in which hairs it will cut on which pass. Perhaps it is just technique, but I was quite dissatisfied.

Fast forward until yesterday, I decided to treat myself to some new DE gear!

Now, this is my first "new" Safety Razor. So far I've only used vintage razors, many people claim that the old razors are much higher quality than new ones dependent upon which ones you get. I think potentially next month I am going to get one of the stainless Weber Razors that is made in USA! They only produce in batches and are sold out now.

The blades I have used before. I remember being quite satisfied with them. I just got through using a 100 count pack of Feathers. Were they sharp? Yes, but they are not as dangerous as everyone claims as long as you are careful and take your time/use proper technique. The Crystals are not as sharp but I think honestly produced a better shave for me.

The brush I have been using for a number of years (probably around five). It has almost seen its time come and go so I ordered another. It is losing bristles quite badly and once I had to reglue the knot into the base. I have not used a stand before so I just kept the brush in the mug. I think doing so caused moisture to damage the brush sooner than it would have normally degraded. So I figured I would buy another like brush since the first one worked so well over the years.

The stand was just the chepest decent looking stand I could find. As stated above, it should cause the brush to last longer since it hold it in a better, drier position.

The Pre/Post Shave cream is nice! I've used it before, it really makes your face feel nice and tingly. Expensive for the quantity, but I am going to compare results between this and something like EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) or Coconut Oil.

The Proraso Eucalyptus cream I have used before. Granted, they have slightly changed the formula since then but it should not be too different. I usually use a puck of soap but change it up to a cream sometimes because it is different.

The Proraso Sandalwood cream I have never tried but my Wife loves Sandalwood so that is a plus. Good reviews, I hope I like it.

The Proraso Aftershave lotion is something I have wanted to try for years but never got around to ordering it. I hope I like it but I think I will try imitating it with eucalytus and menthol oils in perhaps an alcohol or witch hazel base. It would be much cheaper if made at home, I just hope I can replicate it decently well.

Now, shaving with a safety razor is supposed to save you money. Or, at least, it has the potential to. But then you go and find all sorts of brushes and razors, soaps and aftershaves, blades and mugs, etc. Wetshaving is like turning shaving into a hobby. Using the Braun was like turning it into a chore.

So, the only thing that was a difficult decision was the Merkur. For those with DE experience, what razor do you use and why? If you have never tried DE shaving, I highly suggest you give it a try. How do you shave?

P.S. I have always wanted to try a straight razor I just have not worked up my nerves to try it. Someday I will!

I'm with you on the electric shavers, they just don't cut it. For years I used a similar double edged blade safety razor but went to the disposables when they came out with a multi blade. Currently I'm happiest with the shick extreme III, it contours to my face and works like a champ. I don't like the costs and waste though. I've been thinking of going back to the ol double blade again and might check out what you've ordered.
I looked in to the straight edge and besides the skill needed to use it, the amount of effort to keep the blade shave sharp turned me off. It is a lost art and with what is available today the cost benefit isn't there.
There is nothing like getting an old fashioned shave at a Barber though.
  • Moderators

I'm with you on the electric shavers, they just don't cut it. For years I used a similar double edged blade safety razor but went to the disposables when they came out with a multi blade. Currently I'm happiest with the shick extreme III, it contours to my face and works like a champ. I don't like the costs and waste though. I've been thinking of going back to the ol double blade again and might check out what you've ordered.
I looked in to the straight edge and besides the skill needed to use it, the amount of effort to keep the blade shave sharp turned me off. It is a lost art and with what is available today the cost benefit isn't there.
There is nothing like getting an old fashioned shave at a Barber though.

The thought of slicing open my jugular, and the added necisity to keep the edge maintained, are why I have not given it a try. I would like to go to a barber for a shave sometime though.

As far as what I purchased, I "splurged" because I had been wanting to do that for probably about 2 years. I could have just continued using a $20 vintage Gillete, picked up a cheap puck of soap, ordered the razors, and ordered a new brush if needed. $20 for the razor, a few bucks for soap (Vander Hagen at the drugstore is actually pretty good glycerin soap for about $2), $18 or so for the 120 razors, and $24 for the new brush if needed. $64 intital startup, then you should be around $25-$30 a year for blades and soap. You could go cheaper than that (blades can be found $10/100 and if you order the soap in bulk you can get it cheaper). Definetely look into it!

I use hair clippers with a #4 guard. Works for me. Might give a slightly different result though.

Well that probably would not give the desired results!

I was lucky to learn with a straight razor before my grandfather passed away after which I inherited his which I still use to this day anytime the wife wants to have "date night". It's a little more tedious than a DE razor though so for daily shaving after college I picked up Merkur 180(34c w/long handle) which I've found pairs well with Derby Extra blades(Sweden) that I order a few hundred at a time to get them cheap.(at $5 per hundred I likely won't need anymore this decade) I typically use Prorasso Eucalyptus and Menthol soap but I have several higher end creams I use occasionally that family members have given me as gifts.

I just use a small hair clipper machine since I have worn a beard Since getting out of service to this very day and I trim it once a week or every two weeks. Don't have to impress anyone of anything except and old dog and as long as I keep her food and water full she is impressed............ :up: :up:

I use a 60's vintage gillette tech or a 50's vintage super speed. The super is much more aggressive than the tech.

The old techs are about the softest shave I have ever found. 

For blades, while the feathers are extremely sharp at first, they don't seem to last long. My favorite is the astra superior. I can typically get 3 shaves on one of their blades. 

One thing I have found with safety razor blades. Its possible to get a dud for no apparent reason. I bought 10,000 asta's to hold me over for a while. Occasionally, there is one that just doesn't cut right.  Of course they are only pennies a piece, so its easy to toss and start over. 

I use Prorasso too with a boar bristle brush, but I find the best bang for the buck is good ole barber-sol menthol.

I've tried a a couple electric razors and they're all "tug and yank" instead of "lift and cut" for me.  I guess they work for guys with very fine beards, mine's much too coarse.  Between that and their high price....  :down:

I've always used cheap disposable razors and Edge Gel with adequate results.  Last fall I grew a beard so now I only have to shave my neck and a few random hairs on my cheeks a couple times per week.   I trim my mustache about once/week and my wife trims the beard when she cuts my hair about once/month.  I should've grown a beard years ago.    :up:

• Like 3

Man do I feel outdated or left behind here.

Gillette Mach 3 and Colgate Shaving Cream with Lanolin.

Shaving with a DE razor is much cheaper than the Mach 3's.

Buy you a tech razor and a sample blade pack off ebay and never look back. 

• Like 1

I think the mfg's recommendation is to dispose of the blades after a week or less. BS. I use it till it dulls and pulls. And that's a far bit away from less than a week.

I used the DE till the late 70's or so and got into several of the cartridge type razors. For me they were pretty bad.

Used several electrics and really didn't care for them at all. Just too long to get a clean shave, and continually had irritated skin from them.

Did use a high end Braun electric when I was in chemotherapy, and it wasn't real bad. But just not for me.

I might give the DE systems a chance again, but I shave 1 or 2 times a week so there's no major rush for me.

Twice a week I use a disposable razor while showering.  I like the kind that have the "slick when wet" guide strip; I think its a gillette.   One disposable lasts me over a month usually, which is 6 or so goes.  If you clean them they work for at least 5 times on most people I would guess.    I do not use any specific shaving cream or other products, just soap my face with my standard shower soap. 

For a long time I used my dad's old double bladed razor, the type that you replace the blade and keep the frame.  But that thing will cut you to ribbons if you slip at all, and heaven help you if you run over a bump -- unless you wanted it surgically removed.   I only use it now if I need to remove extremely long hair -- it is the best thing ever for taking off a beard (but I rarely grow one, its been years now since I last went there).

Gillette fusion w Barbasol shaving cream. I've used brushes and mugs w straight edge as well, the fusion gives my 300 grit a good trim in a single swipe. Expensive but it works.i shop for blades wherever I can,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I shave about three times a week.  boss does not seem to mind some stubble. 

I use a twin blade something or other.  they are green and gray in color. Costs about ten bucks for ten of them.  I use them forever.  Probably 8 or 10 months for the pack at least.  I always get the Ladies version,  definitely works better,  dunno why.

No shaving cream,  I have never used the stuff.  I just run the razor under water and have at it.

When done I rinse the blades with cold water and blow on it to get the water back out.

I have been thinking about getting a safety razor and a pack of blades and see how that works.

Edited by Mike.357

I shave about three times a week.  boss does not seem to mind some stubble. 

I use a twin blade something or other.  they are green and gray in color. Costs about ten bucks for ten of them.  I use them forever.  Probably 8 or 10 months for the pack at least.  I always get the Ladies version,  definitely works better,  dunno why.

No shaving cream,  I have never used the stuff.  I just run the razor under water and have at it.

When done I rinse the blades with cold water and blow on it to get the water back out.

I have been thinking about getting a safety razor and a pack of blades and see how that works.

The women's razors work better because the blades are a little thicker and a little sharper.   And same as you, the 10 pack would last me at least 6 months when I shaved every other day.  

You're a man after Einstein's own heart.    He didn't use cream either.   I found the text below on the matter.  

He (Einstein) believed in simplicity, so much so that he used only a safety razor and water to shave. When I suggested that he try shaving cream, he said, "The razor and water do the job. "

"But Professor, why don't you try the cream just once?" I argued. "It makes shaving smoother and less painful. " He shrugged. Finally, I presented him with a tube of shaving cream. The next morning when he came down to breakfast, he was beaming with the pleasure of a new,great discovery. "You know,that cream really works," he announced. " It doesn't pull the beard. It feels wonderful." Thereafter, he used the shaving cream every morning until the tube was empty. Then he reverted to using plain water.

So, the only thing that was a difficult decision was the Merkur. For those with DE experience, what razor do you use and why? If you have never tried DE shaving, I highly suggest you give it a try. How do you shave?

I came to the same point about 6 months ago too. In fact, I bought the same shave stand...I love mine. I also picked up a nice soft badger brush and a stainless steel cup to lather in. I still like my vintage Gillette safety razor. Unlike cartridges, it rinses clean, blades don't cost a fortune, and most importantly...no more bumps and razor burn! I went with those Japanese Feather blades, so I can get away with a single pass (which I'm convinced is why I no longer have bumps and razor burn).

You bought really good stuff. I've been eyeing one of those long-handled Merkur razors for a while.

I can't say enough good things about this shaving soap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048I8GV0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a Edwin Jagger double edge razor with Feather blades. The Derby blades that came with the razor worked well, but I got a deal on a package of 50 Feather blades on Amazon and I love them. Also recently got some Proraso Sandalwood shave cream, and I like the fresh, clean smell. I got started on the double edge shave little over a year ago, after getting tired of paying more for 4 razor blade refills than for a brick of .22 LR.

Went back to double edged about 9 months ago.

Settled in with Edwin Jagger, tried various bulk sample packs, bought bulk packs of my four favs: Crystal (Israeli), Astra (Russian), Wilkinson (German) and Personna Blue (US).

While the Feather is no doubt a great blade, I find it almost a bit too sharp (but not necessary as smooth as some others) will go right through any kind of skin aberration rather than glide over it, so takes a bit more care. Also double or more the price my favs above.

No super fav as to soap, been using Proraso for a while now, but have stash of Williams, Conk, and Arko which are plenty fine also. Finish with witch hazel.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest ddmoit

I use a German safety razor that I bought from Amazon.com.  I use Shave Secret shaving oil instead of shaving cream. Safety razors are the best for getting through several days of stubble that tends to clog modern multi-blade systems.