How do You Shave?

'57 Gillette flare tip

'62 Gillette Slim adjustable set on 7 (my favorite so far)

Merkur Futur set on 3 (this thing is heavy and can be adjusted to be very aggressive,the head is a little bigger so it takes a little finesse close under the nose) I like this one alot. Worth the $$$ to me.

Feather blades

inexpensive Escali badger brush

Proraso Green shave soap then cold water to rinse my face. Alum bar gets rubbed across shaved areas then Proraso Green aftershave is applied.

First pass is always with the grain,Second is across the grain.And once a week I'll go against the grain. I shave every other day.

I found everything I have on Amazon except for the Gillette's and got them on Ebay. I tried the Korean Dorco 301's but they were horrible for me. Egyptian Crown's were a little better. Shark were on par w the Crown's. Been looking to try the Gillette Silver & US Personna's . So far Feather has given me the best results.

Edited by johnnychimpo
  • Like 1

[quote name="CZ9MM" post="1149494" timestamp="1400272229"]hbbqvXd.jpg[/quote] The second one from the left looks just like my adjustable Gillete. If I run it much past 3 or 5, I get awful razor burn.

I have a merck double edge safety razor with a long handle. I prefer it to the short handle ones as they make my hands cramp. I shave like twice a week and I use the DE to get the bulk off then smooth it out with a mach 3.

I'm just getting started with a DE razor.

Razor http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Safety-Razor-Model-LP1822L/dp/B004N77JVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400610595&sr=1-1&keywords=Lord+Razor

Shave Set http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Premium-Shave-Brush/dp/B001A3HPT0/ref=sr_1_13?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400610595&sr=1-13&keywords=Lord+Razor

I need to get or build a stand and try a couple different razors.

I've been rotating through a sampler pack of blades and have a Feather, and Astra and a few Gillettes left to try.

Meh... Dollarshaveclub.com's $6/month razors. I have a beard, but keep my neck and cheeks (the top ones) clean with a dry shave (no foam, soap, or water) before jumping in the shower. I usually shave every 2nd or 3rd day. I like a fresh, clean blade and generally change it out every couple weeks.

I get four new blades shipped every month and have a nice little stockpile in a drawer.
  • 1 month later...

Bringing a thread up from the dead but oh well.  Brush and bar soap here.  Just got a new travel brush and a new bar I had wanted to try.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/IMG_20140624_201649_zps9a640b4c.jpg.html]IMG_20140624_201649_zps9a640b4c.jpg[/URL]

Merkur Progressive

Merkur 34C

Tea tree oil soap

Personna Red blades

I switched to the 34c about 6 years ago. At first, I tried all the expensive soaps and brushes, but I didn't care for them. I've settled on homemade soaps that include some type of oil. I wet my face, wet the bar of soap, run the soap over my face, and the rub the soap into a lather. It's a lot faster than the brush and lather approach and works slightly better, in my opinion.  I get my soaps from a flea market in Florida, but I've seen similar soaps at the Farmers Market in Nashville and at Whole Foods. 

After I realized the double edge was a much better shave, I bought the Merkur Progressive. I use the 3 setting on the Progressive with a 3-4 day growth and the 2 or 1.5 setting for a daily shave. I've tried a half dozen different brands of blades. I cut myself too often with Feather blades and I don't think I get quite as good a shave with them.

I always shave twice. The first time with the grain, the second time across the grain or against the grain to get a closer shave. 

Edited by jgradyc