I really want a DA OTF knife.

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1149226" timestamp="1400193472"]Just a note: not till July 1. Since I've never been in middle of a bell curve in my whole life, I don't ever rely on odds. ;) - OS[/quote] Oh yeah, no worries. July 1
I'd suggest a good hard look at the Benchmade Infidel. They are 3.95" blades and DA. I had a friend with one on my last deployment and it seemed well made and had a very postive action both ways.

Tapatalk ate my spelling
  • Like 1

So now that we can carry them I'm dying to have a double action OTF. I like the Microtech Troodon or combat Troodon but they are very limited in availability.

Any other recommendations or retailers to buy from?

http://www.thehollowgrind.com/hollow-grind-microtech-knives/cat_3.html

Combat Troodon or a Scarab I would recommend, Microtech make great knifes but their customer service and methods are another story. Dave at Hollow Grind is the only retailer I would buy one from Edited by willis68
  • Like 1
[quote name="willis68" post="1149278" timestamp="1400200603"][url="http://www.thehollowgrind.com/hollow-grind-microtech-knives/cat_3.html"]http://www.thehollowgrind.com/hollow-grind-microtech-knives/cat_3.html[/url] Combat Troodon or a Scarab I would recommend, Microtech make great knifes but their customer service and methods are another story. Dave at Hollow Grind is the only retailer I would buy one from[/quote] He has great prices comparatively. I just wish the stock was a little more plentiful

I have a Microtech OTF... I think it's the Ultratech.  Incredibly well built, and an action like a Swiss watch.  Kinda big though, and I wouldn't trust any OTF for really rugged use.

I think I'm going to get one of the little UTX-70s to carry.

[quote name="dcloudy777" post="1149439" timestamp="1400254684"]I have a Microtech OTF... I think it's the Ultratech. Incredibly well built, and an action like a Swiss watch. Kinda big though, and I wouldn't trust [b]any[/b] OTF for really rugged use. I think I'm going to get one of the little UTX-70s to carry.[/quote] Yeah I don't really abuse knives. I just want it for the intrigue and utility cutting.
  • Like 1
I have a Combat Troodon. Honestly, it is pretty neat, but that is about it.For a knife that I am actually going to use, I would much rather have a manual folder. Flippers with good bearings are just as fast as autos IMHO.

I have a Combat Troodon. Honestly, it is pretty neat, but that is about it.For a knife that I am actually going to use, I would much rather have a manual folder. Flippers with good bearings are just as fast as autos IMHO.

For me it is nothing to do with how fast they deploy, I have always been fascinated by Switchblades and automatic knives, the good ones out there just have a mystique to them that I just love
  • Like 6

For me it is nothing to do with how fast they deploy, I have always been fascinated by Switchblades and automatic knives, the good ones out there just have a mystique to them that I just love

Deployment speed doesn't concern me either.  Several years back when I got my Combat Troodon DE dagger I thought it was really cool.  After a week or so it lost its lustre, and I haven't bought another automatic since then (minus the ProTech). 

I am very hard on knives and do things with them that one probably shouldn't do.  I have done stuff with my XM-24 that would make a lot of people cringe.  That said, I want a knife that will withstand that kind of use and abuse.  The Combat Troodon doesn't fall in that category.  It has a very specific function, and that is stabbing (not cutting) soft tissue, which is probably gonna be the last thing I do with a knife.

I still have the knife, and I doubt I will get rid of it.  I carry it from time to time at work and show it off to people because it is cool.  However, when I get beyond the coolness of it, there is just so much more out there I would rather have and/or carry.

Edited by mav

As someone who has never owned one I can't get passed the "coolness" without owning one. So it's just a matter if getting one and moving on down to the next obsession ;)

As partially obsessed with knives as I've long been, it's odd that I really don't care about having a nice auto, conventional or OTF. I guess all the nice assisted openers sort of stood in for them or something, and actually for whatever minor reasons, even an AO has rarely been my choice for daily carry either.

- OS

• 3 months later...

You can apparently get some incredibly good chinese copies from dhgate.com for about $50. They have Benchmade, Microtech, Spyderco, Kershaws, etc... I haven't ordered anything yet but I've been reading nothing but good so far about the website and the chinese clones. There are hundreds of reviews on youtube. Heck, I believe I'm looking at actual Spyderco brand knives shipped for a fraction of what they cost here in the states. Anyone here buy from them?

Save your money until you can purchase the real thing, please do not support these knock off companies that rip makers off. They are the reason people think high end knives are junk, a clone is just that, feel free to buy yourself one and find out
  • Like 1

Save your money until you can purchase the real thing, please do not support these knock off companies that rip makers off. They are the reason people think high end knives are junk, a clone is just that, feel free to buy yourself one and find out

Yep. If you want inexpensive but quite serviceable Chinese knives, there are quite a few choices nowadays,  from Sanrenmu, Enlan, Navy, Ganzo and the like. Indeed, these are the companies that have made various of the US branded PRK editions for the big knife companies like Buck, Kershaw, Spyderco, etc.

You can buy them directly from China via eBay or Exduct.com

Though some may um "share" a general design of certain US brand names, they don't purport to be made by other than themselves, and don't pirate logos/labels/packaging.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I understand what you're saying but do you think $500-700 for an auto knife is reasonable for a production knife? I've owned custom knives and I'm close friends with a very successful custom knife maker. Even he told me, if not for the artistic value/fit/finish, buy the production model for my purposes and I did. Although he did get pissed off at the manufacturer when he sharpened it for me. He ended up refinishing the whole thing, reshimming the blade, and replaced all the screws for free. I thought the dern thing was fine! Lol Although I don't carry a Filipino 1911 (I carry a Glock), it still serves a purpose. I don't see any $299 ATI 1911's rockin the holsters of any law enforcement or military agencies. But I know some carry Wilson Combats and the like. I was going to say I dont see many citizens carry cheap knock off 1911's but then I remembered that I've seen three people open carrying Hipoints within 3 years. Anyway, I hardly think that cheap $50 clones are taking away from their sales as its a completely different market.

I understand what you're saying but do you think $500-700 for an auto knife is reasonable for a production knife? I've owned custom knives and I'm close friends with a very successful custom knife maker. Even he told me, if not for the artistic value/fit/finish, buy the production model for my purposes and I did. Although he did get pissed off at the manufacturer when he sharpened it for me. He ended up refinishing the whole thing, reshimming the blade, and replaced all the screws for free. I thought the dern thing was fine! Lol Although I don't carry a Filipino 1911 (I carry a Glock), it still serves a purpose. I don't see any $299 ATI 1911's rockin the holsters of any law enforcement or military agencies. But I know some carry Wilson Combats and the like. I was going to say I dont see many citizens carry cheap knock off 1911's but then I remembered that I've seen three people open carrying Hipoints within 3 years. Anyway, I hardly think that cheap $50 clones are taking away from their sales as its a completely different market.

All of that is far different point of view than the purely counterfeited knives in your first post. There's a significant diff between "knock off/copy" and outright "counterfeit".

- OS

• Like 2

You can have a Microtech ultratech for $200. I paid $150 for my Benchmade Presidio that is manual. I can't afford $500-$700 on a knife either but I do have an ultratech Edit: ok so $225 https://www.thehollowgrind.com/microtech-knives/microtech-ultratech/cat_10.html

I recently got an MT 120-10 for $230.  I'm sure the $500-700 knives are nice, but the ultratech does everything I expect from an OTF knife.