Letters to the Editor: 05/15/2014

Guest gunmantra

Guest gunmantra

Mr. Myers, legal gun owners need to be able to carry in schools because criminals can bring firearms into schools. And they have on multiple occasions, taking numerous innocent lives without anyone there to stop them. Simple solution -eliminate schools as a pistol free zone and let us carry concealed. Problem solved -no more frightened school officials teaching children to fear guns. This is what an actual "common sense" gun solution looks like. Maybe we can then agree to get back to teaching firearms safety in schools as well.

Leave guns at home

Like most Traverse City Area Public Schools parents, I received an email from Superintendent Steve Cousins regarding the carrying of firearms on school property. It seems there have been inquiries.
Michigan law allows people with concealed carry permits to open carry guns on school property. While acknowledging this, Mr. Cousins asked gun owners to consider the anxiety they could cause to students if they chose to exercise this right, and that a school could go into lockdown if someone entered the property carrying a firearm.
He was very diplomatic about this. I don’t have to be. If you are such an ignorant person that you think your right to carry your gun trumps my children’s right to be educated in a safe, gun-free environment, you are exactly the kind of person who should not be carrying a gun.
You can shout all you want about how you know your “rights,” but you clearly have no idea about your responsibilities — to society, to children and to your fellow human beings. People like you are Exhibit A refuting the whole “an armed society is a polite society” nonsense.
Leave your guns at home and out of my kids’ lives.
Daniel Myers
Traverse City

Talk about your bed-wetter, jesus christ. A right for a child to be educated in a safe, gun-free environment? I don't see that in the constitution. Am I missing something?

• Like 4
[quote name="Pat" post="1149565" timestamp="1400286405"]Talk about your bed-wetter, jesus christ. A right for a child to be educated in a safe, gun-free environment? I don't see that in the constitution. Am I missing something?[/quote] Ding ding - we have a winner!

For an ex-military, this man holds some disturbing views.

It sounds like he is one of those vets that had his appointment push back and hid one to many times by VA and now is a loose cannon that needs to be unloaded and placed where he cannot hurt himself or others around him...............jmho

Edited by bersaguy
And this gun-free school is a safe environment ? How? By attempting to keep kids ignorant of basic safety rules about firearms? Posting signs designating gun-free zones ? Believing in the tooth fairy?

Besides, this fool missed the point completely ......it's not about "rights" it's about protecting the kids from the next nut looking for his exit via infamy.......
  • Like 2
The reaction of the child is going to depend on the environment in which they are raised.

My children see a gun in a holster and have no reaction.

I would be willing to bet money that if I went in my sons elementary school OCing none of the kids would freak out.

I've seen LEOs in there before and the kids managed not to wet their pants so logic would dictate its not the gun.
  • Like 2

Kids are afraid of guns only if they are taught to be. If they are taught proper safety and handling, then they are far more likely to have a healthy respect for firearms.

The paranoid bedwetters are afraid of everything and for some reason want their children to be afraid as well.

• Like 1

My FIL has always said that with a CCP in MI gunbusters have no weight. I just went to pull up the law and that seems to have changed. I am at work and can't copy and paste so I can't put it up. I will get with him and find out which is true or if the law has changed due to idiots like this guy.

Edited by jtmaze

While acknowledging this, Mr. Cousins asked gun owners to consider the anxiety they could cause to students if they chose to exercise this right, and that a school could go into lockdown if someone entered the property carrying a firearm.

1.  When do people EVER make a child's anxiety a key consideration in deciding which rights the adult will exercise?  Is that like saying I won't vote democrat because it might freak out a child?  Or, I won't disparage the current president of the United States because it might cause Little Johnny some anxiety?  On second thought, that's a great idea.  Every time an adult wants to do something, we'll run it by the Child Anxiety Oracle and see if the kid approves.

2.  Apparently Mr. Cousins is a school administrator in a state in which it is legal to carry firearms in a school.  If state law allows this, and a school administrator reacts to the sight of a holstered handgun on an adult's hip by calling 911 and sending the school into a school lockdown... then that school administrator needs to be replaced immediately.  "Swatting" is illegal when 15 year old video game players do it to each other in California; it's just as illegal when a 40 year old civil servant does it to an innocent citizen.   

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

How a child reacts and feels around a gun is definitely all in how they're raised. I was raised around guns and that's how I'm raising my son. I can lay my gun down on the table or on the bed and my son doesn't think twice about it. He has absolutely no desire to touch it and he is not curious about it in the least.....because he's used to it and he's been taught what a gun is for and knows all about gun safety.