Since we are talking about our dogs !!!

I'm gonna ask ya'll to bare with me a little here but I want to talk about another dog. My oldest sons dog. Many folks here know I lost my oldest son to an auto accident. He had the accident in May of 86 and it finally took his life in 90. When Doug Jr. was 6 years old I was sitting out on the front porch when I saw him walking down the road we lived on. He had a rope stretched out behind him and on the other end of the rope was this puppy that looked very much like the Queen in my avatar but it was just a puppy, a very skinny puppy. The puppy's feet were stretched out in front of her pushing backwards as hard as she could. He and the puppy arrived at the porch and my son said " hey dad, look what followed me home, can I keep it"?  I said"followed you home huh" and he said "yep". i thought about it for a minute and figure he  and his 5 year old brother should have a dog so I said yea but you will be responsible for all of it's care and he promised he would. About a day or so later we took her to the vet and got her checked out and all her first shots and de-wormed and all the things you do with puppy's and I was very proud of my son because he did everything right for all the years while he was able to. He trained her to do tricks he taught he how to mind and they became inseparable She went to school with them when they rode bicycles and wanted for them to come home and followed them home. He would take lunch out to her and put water out by the bikes for her (weather permitting) In bad weather she remained at home in his bedroom and he would leave the radio playing on low volume for her. Then as he grew older and got his drivers license and interested in girls like most teenagers do I watched and he never disappointed me. She went in his car everywhere he went just as Kasey does in my jeep. She even went on dates when he would take a girl out to a movie or a dance. ( Oh I have gotten ahead of my self a little)  When I asked him what he named her and he said "Dog" And I said that's not really a fitting name for a pretty little girl dog so he said "ok" Her name is Girl Dog and that became her name.

Now she went for all of her vet visits and shots and to get spayed when the time came and there was good Vet files kept on her. She was 10 years old the night of his accident and she was also injured in the accident which happened about 3 miles from our home. Hi back hips were broke and Doug was unconscious when emergency help arrived and when the ambulance rolled every kid with a  car rolled two and all the kids that went to the wreck knew it was Doug and his car and they all knew his dog. When the EMT went inside the car to help Doug Girl Dog had crawled and dragged herself up on his lap and growled at the EMT and was protecting him. One of the kids said "I will get her" and soon as Greg called her by name he was able to gently lift her of Doug. The police officer told him to put here on the side of the road and he would put her down and Greg said  I'll take care of her and they took her to the Vet that had been caring for her the entire time we had her. She was at the Vets office for 6.5 months and after she was healed and was out of surgery and traction for hip repairs he kept her at his office and fed her. I didn't go and get her till 6 months after the accident which small town everyone knew everything. I told the Vet I had come to get Girl Dog and I told him, "I don't know how much I owe you but what ever it is I promise to pay you." He looked at me and said "You don't owe me anything Doug."Just take care of her and your son." I did to the best of my ability do both. When we were finally able to bring my son home Girl Dog was all excited because she knew he had come home. He couldn't speak but he could pet her and hug her and remember her. She slept under his bed every night until that last night and at 3;15AM she came into the bedroom with Margie and I and laid down beside my bed and I knew my Son was gone. I went into his room and Girl Dog was right. Doug had passed away in his sleep. Now if your keeping track Doug passed away at age 20 and that made Girl Dog 14. She became my dog and as the vet told me to take care of Doug and Girl Dog I did. Doug was gone but I still had her. I fed her just like he did, from the table every night what ever we had for supper was what her plate had on it all the time they were growing up together. She loved Catfish and home fries with a passion...lol. In 1997 I lost Margie to a heart attack. In 1998 I had to have Girl Dog put down because she had developed Uterus Cancer and had a Tumor forming causing her pain. I took her to the vet and got the diagnosis and asked him to put her down because I would not allow her to suffer. He had the nurse pull Girl Dogs file and he opened it up and began to make notes when it dawned on him. He began scratching his head and he turned and looked at me and said "Doug do you know how old Girl Dog is and I replied "yea  22." With that he put her to rest and I took her and buried her on top of my Son with my younger sons help. There's a lot more to this but I don't want to bore ya'll any more than I probably have already. The Vet did ask me several days later when I ran into him at a filling station. He wanted to ask me what kind of food we fed Girl Dog to enable her to have the longevity of life she lived. I smiled at him and said what is it you tell people to never feed their dogs and he said table food and I said except for the time she spent with you table food is all she has ever eaten. The next year he retired and we never spoke again. I cannot explain how she lived that long except by Love and care. I have nothing else I can think of. I hope Kasey is with me that long but what ever God has in store for her I will accept. I have a few friends that have said they feel that when one goes the other won't be far behind. Don't know if they will be right or not. I guess only time can tell that.  If any one feels this should be deleted do to length I will understand. Just wanted to tell ya'll about a very special mutt named Girl Dog. I have some pictures of he somewhere and I will try and dig them out and post them if I can make my old scanner work.

• Like 7

The love of a pet companion is awesome. Sometimes it is very hard to give enough in return to them.

Our mixed breed Border Collie/ Aussie Shepherd is an example for us.

My wife brought her in six week after the loss of our Chow Chow companion, Cody. I really didn't want another dog at the time. I was 8 weeks into chemotherapy, and we'd just moved my mother in with us after a pelvic injury.

I fought and lost. Susan said that Mom and I both needed something or someone to make us move out of beds and chairs.

If I learned nothing else from that time period, it was that these little short furry 4 legged people will not take "no" for an answer.

Molly made me get up and walk her and play with her. She has become such a loving little person that I can't imagine life without her.

While she really doesn't like to fide, she has a whining fit when I go near my old Pickup. I swear she knows the difference in the sound of the keys. If I get the car keys, she will grudgingly go to her House, her pen.

But if I have the truck keys in had, she goes and stands beside the door till we ride somewhere.

Today, we got up and decided to heat to Southern Nursery and Secret Gardens for some new plants.

The people at both know her well. She won't leave till petted by everyone there.

She is totally spoiled, but obeys very well.

Edited by hipower

The love of a pet companion is awesome. Sometimes it is very hard to give enough in return to them.

Our mixed breed Border Collie/ Aussie Shepherd is an example for us.

My wife brought her in six week after the loss of our Chow Chow companion, Cody. I really didn't want another dog at the time. I was 8 weeks into chemotherapy, and we'd just moved my mother in with us after a pelvic injury.

I fought and lost. Susan said that Mom and I both needed something or someone to make us move out of beds and chairs.

If I learned nothing else from that time period, it was that these little short furry 4 legged people will not take "no" for an answer.

Molly made me get up and walk her and play with her. She has become such a loving little person that I can't imagine life without her.

While she really doesn't like to fide, she has a whining fit when I go near my old Pickup. I swear she knows the difference in the sound of the keys. If I get the car keys, she will grudgingly go to her House, her pen.

But if I have the truck keys in had, she goes and stands beside the door till we ride somewhere.

Today, we got up and decided to heat to Southern Nursery and Secret Gardens for some new plants.

The people at both know her well. She won't leave till petted by everyone there.

She is totally spoiled, but obeys very well.

The way I look at it if your pet is not spoiled your not doing something right and it is not the pets fault..................jmho

• Like 1

II just went through the scrap book of pictures and found as couple of Girl Dog at age about 18 and she is almost all white and gray in the face and chest from age. Kasey is getting gray now also.......Like me........Old and gray........... :rock:

Great story Bersaguy, I'm going to go cry now don't laugh at me.....

Didn't mean to make no one cry. Just all talking about dogs and it brought back old memories of a wonderful dog that played a very important roll and touched many lives and never wanted anything but love in return and she got that....... :up:

• Like 1

I said I grew up with guns and I did from age 6 but I was about 6 when I got my first dog named Pal to. I also grew up with dogs. I guess between me and my 3 older brothers and parents we had at least 5 or 6 dogs all the time as kids. We lived on a country road about 40 miles west of Chicago and it was a famous drop sight for people in Chicago that didn't want dog any more so they would drive in the country and drop them. My dad worked in Chicago about three blocks from the Cook County Animal Shelter so it was easy enough for him to take the dogs in when they showed up at our house if we didn't keep them. He made sure he got them gone before us boys got attached to  the mutt or he knew there would be trouble taking it away. I do remember a few times we may have had as many as 12 dogs including our own plus visitors Dad take to work on Monday. It seemed that Friday night was drop night and because we had dogs barking almost all the time the drops found our house pretty quick. I would have kept everyone of them if Dad would have let but I had a two limit when I was young but as I got older and became a wager earner meaning cutting grass or helping an old farmer work his farm down the road a short bike trip away then I was pretty much able to have as many as I wanted but I stayed with 2 most of the time Pal and Bearcat I had for quite some time and then someone stole Pal because he was purebred Springer Spaniel and was great at hunting Pheasants and Quail my buddy Dave and I hunted and He was gone on day about 5 years after I got him but there was something different about Pal when he showed up at our house and that is he was wearing a collar and none of the others were. My dad promised me he didn't take him to the shelter but he did say, you know son when he came here he was wearing a collar and there was a lot of people that hunted around our place because most most of it was farm land and maybe his original owner lost him while hunting and found him on another trip. At the time it made since but today nah!! not 5 years later. My Dad always had a way of explaining things that made sense. Since I had began hunting seriously I got two dogs given to me by my mothers boss where she worked as a cook in his restaurant. He gave me two young Tri-colored Beagles which Hunting came like a second nature to and that was when I name one of them John Henry because of the song about how hard John Henry worked and my John worked just as hard tracking rabbits. When we moved to Tennessee when my Grandfather gave my mother the Ranch/farm if she and her family would move south well here I am still!!! Came here at age 17 senior in high school. Brought Jack and John and oh yea old Bearcat was still tagging along. Don't exactly know what kind of dog he was. He was about the size of a Jack Russell and had a bobbed tail and his ears stood up like a Dobermans but had hair that felt like course bear hair but was as fast as any cat and could jump straight up into an adult arms so i just named him Bearcat. When I left for the military my parents took care of my dogs but both of them passed away while I was on tour of old age. My tour of duty was the first time I could remember not having a dog and I fixed that soon as I returned home............. :up:  :up:  :up:    

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Bersaguy,

I am sorry for your loss and agree that dogs are special. I haven't been blessed with children but do have animals in my life and they provide a love that I think the creator wanted us to feel. No matter what is wrong with the world these little guys stay strong and consistent, I think it's to keep us in check or on the right path. I dunno, may be I'm wrong.

My little guy is almost 15, he's a beagle I got from the pound as a puppy. I didn't want a dog at the time because I was active duty but my ol lady did so we got him. Many moves because of duty and an extremely rough and lengthy divorce provided a pretty unstable home for the little guy. I even found him a better more stable home, 3 times. He came back to me every time. I didn't want him because I knew I couldn't provide the stable life he and all animals deserve but he has sought me out and has gotten me through some tough times.

Your story got to me too and I will have you and yours in my prayers!

Thanks for sharing Bersaguy,

I am sorry for your loss and agree that dogs are special. I haven't been blessed with children but do have animals in my life and they provide a love that I think the creator wanted us to feel. No matter what is wrong with the world these little guys stay strong and consistent, I think it's to keep us in check or on the right path. I dunno, may be I'm wrong.

My little guy is almost 15, he's a beagle I got from the pound as a puppy. I didn't want a dog at the time because I was active duty but my ol lady did so we got him. Many moves because of duty and an extremely rough and lengthy divorce provided a pretty unstable home for the little guy. I even found him a better more stable home, 3 times. He came back to me every time. I didn't want him because I knew I couldn't provide the stable life he and all animals deserve but he has sought me out and has gotten me through some tough times.

Your story got to me too and I will have you and yours in my prayers!

Dogs can be very loyal friends and many times if you get separated somehow your paths cross and your back together again. I do think GOD has a lot to do with things like that because he knows both of you need and love each other and should be together..............jmho

Some one mentioned that GOD and Dog are spelled the same, just backwards. Is that just coincidence or His plan? I think he created dogs for special purposes but that is........... jmho   If folks stop and think about all of the great services dogs offer humanity it is astounding. they help find people buried alive, they help the blind function, they track down lost children, they work with police officers and become a team and the dogs are considered an officer of the law and many have laid down their lives for their partners, They are working in the l military to sniff out IED's and are a very important part of our Military. They are now finding out that they are helping cancer patients both adults and kids but most of all they are mans best friend. I love Mutts for sure........ :up:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:   

• Like 1
Thanks bersa, always something well to be said about gods little creatures. I love mine as well as others. My condolences for your losses. And thanks for sharing that with us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

As much as I love my dachshund, I feel that our time together is far too short. Due to work, I barely have time to spend with him. I just wish their lives where not so short compared to our own.