Haven't looked in a while, curious if it's getting any easier to find .22 ammo

I haven't been on here in a while and haven't been shooting any in the last 3 to 4 months because of working 7 days a week. When I stopped looking for ammo I was finding some .22 ammo at Walmart about once a week. I built my supply up to what I felt good about and quit buying because I didn't have time to to look, not to mention no time to shoot. I'm also curious about 9mm ammo, is it easy to find now? I've always had .45 ACP pistols but I'm in the market for a Smith & Wesson Shield in 9mm so I figured I would start looking for some ammo for it. I'm hoping it's getting easier to find but for some reason I have my doubts after cruising through the armslist ads earlier today while I was looking for a used Shield. 

I think, but don't quote me, that 9mm isn't to hard to come by. I haven't shoot my 9 is some time now, and have a decent amount of ammo for it. The 22's are still absent from any shelves I've seen. Went to WW yesterday to get ink for printer, and walked by the ammo case just for a laugh, no 22's but seems like there were almost everything else, 9, 45, 40. 44. 38, 357as I didn't really look to hard. Besides I reload for everything I shoot except 9mm, but I like I said haven't shot mine that much in the past year so I don't worry about it to much either.

Good luck on the sheild.

Edited by Sidinman
Guest ddmoit

I think the ammo supply is loosening up, but I don't anticipate seeing previously low prices, chiefly because the dollar is worth less now.  9mm has been easy for me to find online and in stores.  I've seen .22lr in stores - probably not at a price that would make anyone happy.  I've seen .22lr on line recently for sub 10 cents a round.  I haven't bought any .22lr in over 2 years.  Through sheer dumb luck, I managed to stock up before prices went up.

Edited by ddmoit

My experience with .22LR within the past two months or so has been this:

I live in Chattanooga, but frequently travel to Nashville.  In Chattanooga, Ive found that .22lr is almost non-existent in compared to what can be found in Nashville.  Sportsmans in Chattanooga always puts some out, but you better be there first thing, or "the regulars" will come in and get it.  The same is true with the Walmart in Ooltewah - I went in the other night around 9:00PM and saw they had 3 bulk packs of Winchester 333s and politely bought all three.  I spoke with the guy running the gun counter, who said its all old men who bring their wives in to buy it everyday at his store  :yuck:

However, on my trips to Nashville, Ive stopped by BPS every time, and been able to get a decency priced bulk pack i.e. Winchester M22 1,000 rounds for $55, and have heard that this is the norm usually if you can get there before noon on a weekday.  

no 22 lr ammo to be found in the chattanooga area.  the butt heads get it all when it comes into wal mart, then they try to resale it for a higher price.  i hope they lose their ass on this.  only fools will buy it form them.  as for other cals, 9mm is easy to find.  but you still have to watch the prices.  the big box stores has the better price.  the local gun stores are still high.  as far as i go i reload.  so the only thing i need is 22 lr ammo.  i stocked up before things went south so i do not have to play the games.  but i do look when i go in to see what they have.  

It all depends on where you live. I'm from a smaller town & we haven't had much of a .22 shortage where I live, but it's impossible to find elsewhere. My local WM had a stack of 550 round Federal value boxes sitting at the counter this morning priced for $23 a box & I was a little surprised there wasn't a single person waiting to buy it, but of course, I didn't buy any either because I mainly shoot 9mm & .45. It's clear that the panic buying has pretty much stopped where I live. Hopefully that's a sign that things will be getting back to normal everywhere soon.

Edited by luvmyberetta

none in the Memphis area either,I look everytime I go to any stores that sell it.I havent seen 22 in our WalMarts in near a year now.But I refuse to get up early on a day off just to beat the non working sector to the ammo counters.Maybe thats my problem,if I did maybe I could retire on what the scalpers are selling it for.I hope a few get stuck with the stuff and end up eating it in the morning like a bowl of Wheaties with milk.

• Like 1
[quote name="krunchnik" post="1150594" timestamp="1400612199"]none in the Memphis area either,I look everytime I go to any stores that sell it.I havent seen 22 in our WalMarts in near a year now.But I refuse to get up early on a day off just to beat the non working sector to the ammo counters.Maybe thats my problem,if I did maybe I could retire on what the scalpers are selling it for.I hope a few get stuck with the stuff and end up eating it in the morning like a bowl of Wheaties with milk.[/quote] If you are looking for some of the match type ammo, I can tell you where you could try here in memphis. I go by there pretty regularly and they seem to always have the higher quality .22. I just punch paper with .22 so I can't really tell you if it is priced reasonably or not.
I pretty much quit looking for it at WM . I guess it will get better one day , so you can walk in and buy it anytime.If not , there's nothing I can do about it.I got a job and things to do unlike all the scum that is there waiting on it EVERY DAY when they bring it out to stock it.

I wish to ammo companies would flood the market with the stuff and catch all these scum bags sitting on a garage full if it and half to hold a garage sale and see it for pennies on the dollar and they all go broke...................jmho

I saw boxes of .22 on the shelf at Bass pro, but the 5 people behind the counter were too busy with two customers for me to buy it.  I didn't see any .22 at walmart but bought a few hundred 9mm and 45 acp.

As others have said, it's BAD in Chattanooga. I haven't sweat it much, as I had what I used to think was all the .22 I'd ever need. Now I watch the supply dwindle and...

Also, since everyone is having this shared experience -, and figuring in likely future scenarios like Hillary announcing (winning?), a few more high-profile mass shootings and the antigun legislation that will be floated - I think it will likely get worse.

Right now, we're doing this to ourselves.