Need Suggestion: .22 Automatic Pistol for Wife

dkd83

I am looking for a .22 auto pistol for my wife. She is uncomfortable firing my XD9sc (too snappy) but liked a mutual friend's Walther P22.

I think this is a better-than-nothing choice but I would like a similar pistol with a higher capacity magazine (around 15 rounds sounds right). Any suggestions appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this going to be a range gun or a self-defense gun? If it's a range gun you could try the Walther, a Beretta Neo, Ruger Mark 3 or 4, and Browning Buckmark models. For self-defense a .22 is not going to cut it. If that is all she will carry then true it is better than nothing, but there are many more avenues to explore before choosing a .22. I have an XD9sc and I assume if she thinks it's snappy she must be a rather petite lady? If so have her try looking at a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Walther PPK. Maybe a larger 9mm to hold the recoil better.

Is this going to be a range gun or a self-defense gun? If it's a range gun you could try the Walther, a Beretta Neo, Ruger Mark 3 or 4, and Browning Buckmark models. For self-defense a .22 is not going to cut it. If that is all she will carry then true it is better than nothing, but there are many more avenues to explore before choosing a .22. I have an XD9sc and I assume if she thinks it's snappy she must be a rather petite lady? If so have her try looking at a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Walther PPK. Maybe a larger 9mm to hold the recoil better.

triple S is right...dead on.

My soon to be wife is NOT a petit lady, but she didn't like the recoil of a subcompact 9mm.

I got her a S&W22A and she likes it..but wants a mosquito.

I suggest a 380 for her as well, until she gets used to the recoil...Julie actually LIKES the browning but its a full size 9mm (its a hipower mkIII)

I suggested a bersa 380 and she liked that idea.

I think the biggest thing is to get her out there and shoot some..get her used to the recoil and learn ways to minimize it..(I had to correct Julie when she held her wrist instead of cupping the pistol with her weak hand.)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Until last weekend, my wife had never fired any weapon in her life. Therefore, I am more interested in acquiring an inexpensive pistol for her to practice with before moving her up to at minimum a .380. I probably should have stated this clearly to begin with but the initial post came at the spur of the moment.

As some have opined, it is more an issue of getting her used to shooting and I think a .22 will prove the most cost effective way to do this. I like the idea of the Bersa when it comes time to move her up and get her carry permit.

Again, thanks all for the assistance.....