Advice needed

Guest REDDOG79

Guest REDDOG79
Here is the situation. I am flying to California at the end of June to move my girlfriend here to Tennessee. I don't want to make a cross country trip unarmed. Can I fly with my handguns to CA and then carry them once I am in carry friendly states. I have looked at CA's DOJ site to find out what handguns can be sold there and I am planning on bringing my Kimber 1911, Kel tec P3 and my NAA mini revolver. My Para P12 I assume is not legal there due to the 12 rd mags. So do i check my firearms in my baggage and leave them locked in the case until i get into carry friendly states and is it legal to do so?

Sounds like you pretty much have it down.  Look on the airlines website for specific information.  IIRC you can pack ammo in your luggage again but check for yourself, don't take my word on it.  If I were you I would print out the airlines poicies and carry them with you when you arrive for your flight, just in case you have any problems.  I'd think it goes without saying but you do have to declare your firearm when you check the baggage.  Also I believe the gun has to be in a locked container inside your luggage, to which you have the key

You aren't bound by what can be sold there (other than no AR's), but you are bound by the 10 round mag limit.  Just put them in a hardcase and lock everything up and when you cross the Nevada line, you should be good to go concealed.  You can put everything in the same locked case, but don't load the mags.  Declare them with the airline and you shouldn't have any issue.

Edited by Hozzie
Pretty much everything said here except if unpack the pistols for HD first thing if you have to stay there any length of time. Don't get caught driving around with one though, they tend to frown on that sort of thing, though. :rolleyes:

What part of Ca are you flying into?
Guest REDDOG79
Flying into LAX she lives in Los Alamitos. She lives in a nice part of town. Spent a week there last month with no firearms. I'm not too worried about the time there.

Good info above. Personally I wouldn't take multiple weapons packed in the same bag. Increases the risk of them "disappearing" in between Nashville and Cali. JMHO.

I would also split them up into more than one piece of baggage/luggage and I  wonder if you are declaring that many guns how much suspicion it will attract to you going to of all places California. Would be like flying in to New York City with that many guns..............jmho                  Hope your trip goes well with no hitches............... :up: :up:

Guest REDDOG79
driving there is not practical. I will be driving a rental box truck back with my son and she will be driving her car with her son

I  wonder if you are declaring that many guns how much suspicion it will attract to you going to of all places California. Would be like flying in to New York City with that many guns..............jmho                  Hope your trip goes well with no hitches............... :up: :up:

No, nothing alike. Flying to NYC with any pistols would be a no-no, save a layover where you did not take possession of your baggage containing your firearms. Flying into LAX with as many pistols as your carrier will allow (some have limits) won't hardly raise any more eyebrows than bringing any.

You're a long way from me or I would offer to let you use my Pelican case.  I can put 4 pistols, each with 2 mags and enough ammo to do what you need.  It actually wasn't that expensive and it is indestructible.  Well worth the money and I like having some comfort that it isn't in a regular suitcase.  I got some of the heavy TSA locks.  In the end, they have to have TSA locks so they can get in them, but I have never had them open my case after checking them in.   

Link to the case I have if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DYV9H/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can take a picture and show you how I have mine setup if you're interested.  For the three guns you mentioned, you could even go smaller, but it's nice to have the room if you need it.  This one isn't so big that it can't be handled easily.

Edited by Hozzie

You're a long way from me or I would offer to let you use my Pelican case.  I can put 4 pistols, each with 2 mags and enough ammo to do what you need.  It actually wasn't that expensive and it is indestructible.  Well worth the money and I like having some comfort that it isn't in a regular suitcase.  I got some of the heavy TSA locks.  In the end, they have to have TSA locks so they can get in them, but I have never had them open my case after checking them in.   

Link to the case I have if you're interested.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DYV9H/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can take a picture and show you how I have mine setup if you're interested.  For the three guns you mentioned, you could even go smaller, but it's nice to have the room if you need it.  This one isn't so big that it can't be handled easily.

Incorrect on the TSA locks. TSA Cannot open a bag with a declared firearm without the owner present barring any other influence (eg; no bombs/drugs in said bag) if they need access, they'll find you.

I actually go out of my way to NOT buy TSA approved locks.
Make sure you have your gun in a case w a non TSA lock. Your ammo must be in a factory box, no plastic cases,not loaded in mags.
The ammo goes separately not in the pistol case.

There is a card you fill out that u get from the airline.fill out 2 and keep a copy on you in case there's a problem.

Bury that bad boy in your luggage, sometimes u can ask TSA to wrap their tape around that bag for safer keeping.

In calif I'd keep your pistol put away unless in a hotel or u get lost in Compton. Once you hit the road, and get out of the communist state u should be gtg.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1
I would ship them to myself at her address or hold for pick-up.

The last time I flew with a gun (prior to 9-11) when I arrived in Orange County my bag came down the conveyor with a big red tag on it that said “GUN”. I don’t know if any of the airlines still do that. I don’t think the legalities are as big a problem as theft.

have your girl go and buy a gun for the trip back.  this way you do not have to mess with all the airline problems and any problems when you get there.  think about it, three guns missing from your bags = problems, police, time and big money lost.   the girlfriend can go to a local gun store/big box and buy a $300 to 400 dollar gun for the trip back.   

have your girl go and buy a gun for the trip back.  this way you do not have to mess with all the airline problems and any problems when you get there.  think about it, three guns missing from your bags = problems, police, time and big money lost.   the girlfriend can go to a local gun store/big box and buy a $300 to 400 dollar gun for the trip back.

Only works if they have enough time to wait out the 10(business) day waiting period. :/

Personally I'd just bring one, and that wouldn't be my favorite just in case. ;)

@Dave: I don't think airlines are allowed to mark baggage as containing a gun anymore. I'll ask and get back to you on that though as I'm not 100% sure.
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1151242" timestamp="1400792587"] @Dave: I don't think airlines are allowed to mark baggage as containing a gun anymore. I'll ask and get back to you on that though as I'm not 100% sure.[/quote] Just flew two pistols last week. Can't remember them ever marking my luggage before as containing a firearm, but I do recall the baggage folks at a few different airports holding weapons cases and not putting them on the belt. I'm not sure if that was because they didn't want to put an obvious weapons case on the belt or if it just wouldn't fit right. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guest REDDOG79
I think my Kimber case that my pistol came is is tsa approved. have to check that. i can fit all 3 in the case but need to see if ammo can just be in the luggage not in the pistol case
I use the same Kimber box for my pistols when I fly. You'll need to secure both slide openings with locks (not TSA locks). If you only lock one side they'll have a fit because you can slide the other side open and wedge open the container to get to the contents. As for ammo, I'm pretty sure that needs to also be in a locked container. Airlines will differ as to how it needs to be stowed. Some say you can't have it in magazines and others say its fine. I only fly United or Southwest and I check their web page the night before just in case there a recent changes. I also keep that webpage open on my phone when checking in, just in case the person working the counter is new and unfamiliar with all the rules of the airline. Usually they are well versed. People fly with guns a lot. Here is Southwest's page which explains proper securing of weapons and ammo: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I also put a small chamber flag in each one of my pistols. A long time ago I had a TSA guy make me open my case to inspect that the chamber was empty after it had gone through X-ray. The chamber flag will leave the slide slightly ajar and indicate an empty chamber. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your ammo must be in a factory box, no plastic cases,not loaded in mags.
The ammo goes separately not in the pistol case.

This info is somewhat INCORRECT ammo can be in the same case as the locked gun and can be in plastic case... I've flown numerous times and carry everything in ONE case....

This from the TSA: Ammunition - Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on

the airline you are flying. If ammunition is permitted, it must be declared to the airline at check-in. Small arms

ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging

specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply.

I would ship them to myself at her address or hold for pick-up.

The last time I flew with a gun (prior to 9-11) when I arrived in Orange County my bag came down the conveyor with a big red tag on it that said “GUN”. I don’t know if any of the airlines still do that. I don’t think the legalities are as big a problem as theft.

No airline today is allowed to mark your bag in ANY way so as to indicate that there is a weapon inside....

• Like 1