Runners on the forum?

mav

A couple of weeks ago I decided to start running again.  Less than a mile from my house we have a nice park with a slightly hilly 0.6 mile (GPS confirmed) running track on the grounds.  My first three mile run was 28:20.  The next day I ran 27:17.  That last run was on 5-7-14.  I did my third run this evening, and I ran it in 26:52.

I will be 40 in less than 3 months.  Tonight was just my third run in over a year and I have already busted the 27 minute mark.  I am feeling pretty good about that.  I am hoping that I will be able to break the 25 minute mark after a couple more runs.  To be fair, I am not going from a couch potato to running three miles.  I do go to the gym everyday M-F, but I never do cardio, so I feel this is still a pretty good accomplishment. :)

Anyone else run or thinking about getting into running?

Unless someone's chasing me, I don't see a need to run.  Actually I find it completely boring.  I need to be doing something, but can't bring myself to run.  I would love to get a group of guys together to play basketball or something to get some cardio without the monotony.  I know some people love it, but I have just never enjoyed it.

• Like 2

good time for someone that is starting back.  i ran for years. started in 75 and ran five days a week. running can get into your system and you just have to do it, no matter what. most days i did two miles, some day more.  i got up every morning by 6 a.m., and was out the door by 630.  like clock work, rain or shine.  no matter how cold or hot.  then in 98 i got plantar fascia in both feet.  it stopped me in my tracks for about one year.   the doctors stopped my running.  it took lots of work and pain to get over plantar fascia.  but with the correct running shoe and hard work i got back into running. but my times were slower.  so i did longer runs, 2 to 10 miles long runs.  then i mess up my knee on the job.  that stopped my running.  i tried but was never able to get back into it.  something was off.  then i jack up the other knee on the job.  after that the running stopped.  now it is treadmill, elliptical, and exercise bike in front of the tv.  get a good running shoe.  get a running shoe that fit the way you run.  use the shoe for running only.  i went to virginia runner in fredburgs virgina for shoes.  they put me on a treadmill and video me running to find the correct shoe.  it came down to two brands and i got to try them on their tract before buying.  the correct running shoe up my running game and empty my pocket.  new shoe every three months.  

• Like 1

good time for someone that is starting back.  i ran for years. started in 75 and ran five days a week. running can get into your system and you just have to do it, no matter what. most days i did two miles, some day more.  i got up every morning by 6 a.m., and was out the door by 630.  like clock work, rain or shine.  no matter how cold or hot.  then in 98 i got plantar fascia in both feet.  it stopped me in my tracks for about one year.   the doctors stopped my running.  it took lots of work and pain to get over plantar fascia.  but with the correct running shoe and hard work i got back into running. but my times were slower.  so i did longer runs, 2 to 10 miles long runs.  then i mess up my knee on the job.  that stopped my running.  i tried but was never able to get back into it.  something was off.  then i jack up the other knee on the job.  after that the running stopped.  now it is treadmill, elliptical, and exercise bike in front of the tv.  get a good running shoe.  get a running shoe that fit the way you run.  use the shoe for running only.  i went to virginia runner in fredburgs virgina for shoes.  they put me on a treadmill and video me running to find the correct shoe.  it came down to two brands and i got to try them on their tract before buying.  the correct running shoe up my running game and empty my pocket.  new shoe every three months.  

I hear you on the shoe.  I will only run in two shoes, Asics Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Runner. 

[quote name="mav" post="1151103" timestamp="1400761890"]I hear you on the shoe. I will only run in two shoes, Asics Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Runner. [/quote] I've been using New Balance for the past decade. The ones I have are really good for low arches. I used to use Asics, but would get blisters all the time on the inside of my foot. I work out but get into a habit of not running for weeks at a time. It can be difficult with traveling a lot and also having small kids. It isn't as easy as just strapping shoes on and going. I inherited high blood pressure, so I have to run or do some kind of cardio to keep it in check. Even with regular work outs, my blood pressure will climb if I'm not doing cardio. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats on getting back on the road!  My body hates distance running, but I do ride bikes with a buddy, and every time we whiz by somebody running, my buddy always points out how miserable they look!  I have a long association history with runners and have always admired distance athletes, so I dismissed him at first,... then after a few rides with him, I was in stitches at the consistency with which most runners look like the universe is coming to an end.  "Why would they do that to themselves?"... I can hear him now, and it makes me chuckle.  

If the emergency is 200m or closer, I'll usually be the first one there.    ... anything farther, and we best be pushing the ePIRB.   :pleased:   - that's why you'll find me on the bike.

Keep it up!

If I was to run from here at my front door to my mail box 35 yards away they would be calling paramedics to a man laying in his driveway not moving and that would not be on the return trip but the trip going.............. :hiding: :hiding:

The time this evening for 3 miles was 25:56.  Almost a minute better than last night.  :)

I've been using New Balance for the past decade. The ones I have are really good for low arches. I used to use Asics, but would get blisters all the time on the inside of my foot. I work out but get into a habit of not running for weeks at a time. It can be difficult with traveling a lot and also having small kids. It isn't as easy as just strapping shoes on and going. I inherited high blood pressure, so I have to run or do some kind of cardio to keep it in check. Even with regular work outs, my blood pressure will climb if I'm not doing cardio. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only sneaker my brother can wear is New Balance.  He has been wearing the same style USA New Balance since the 80s.  New Balance is a great shoe, but not for me.  I have very narrow feet and very high arches.

Getting the right shoe and adjusting it to fit right is critical for a lifetime of running.  I've been a runner for about 35 years. I make my own orthotics  by adding felt squares under the insert in the arch as needed. When I find a shoe that fits "right" I often buy two pair.  Knee problems are the worst, but runners could probably find a solution if they sought out the right sports doctor. I was told... twice... by docs at the Mayo Clinic that I could never run again.  That was 10,000 miles ago. 

Congrats on your sub-26 3 mile. You're already in the top half of 5k runners. There's an active running club in Chattanooga, I think. You should check out their website and go to some of their training runs. With an organized training schedule and someone to train with, your times will continue to come down.

• Admin Team

Very active runners can really increase their shoe life by buying two pairs of shoes at once and alternating days running with them.  Letting the insides really dry out before you put them back on your feet and run in them again really helps increase shoe life.

I can't say enough about the right shoe.  I underpronate, so only about two pairs out of 100 will actually fit me appropriately.  Having a store like fleet feet or similar that understands that is critical.

This post did get me thinking and my daughter has one of those bicycles that you ride but don't move. I guess it is an exercise bike and my son i law is going to bring it over so i can begin to exercise maybe an hour a day......... :up: :up: :up:

I used to run more than I do now. Started doing a little more lately. I much prefer cycling. You get much more exhilaration when you catch some downhills but still get a good burn if you're doing it right. I need to be more balanced I think. Run some, cycle some, yoga some...yes yoga, it's great for post surgery disc herniation!
  • Like 1

I used to run more than I do now. Started doing a little more lately. I much prefer cycling. You get much more exhilaration when you catch some downhills but still get a good burn if you're doing it right. I need to be more balanced I think. Run some, cycle some, yoga some...yes yoga, it's great for post surgery disc herniation!

I need to get back into cycling.  I always found running exceptionally boring.. the scenery just doesn't change fast enough.  That, and having been forced to run miles and miles as a high school wrestler ruined it for me.  And yes, yoga is great for core strength and flexibility.  Need to do more of that too.  Hard to find the time with the kids. 

Nothing wrong with yoga.  I don't care about the meditation aspect, but it is fantastic for improving flexibility. 

The only constant I have is weight training.  I will never stop doing that until I am physically unable to do so.  I also mix in some martial arts, mountain biking, golf, and now, running.  I would absolutely love to add in some rock climbing to that list.

• Admin Team

Nothing wrong with yoga.  I don't care about the meditation aspect, but it is fantastic for improving flexibility. 

The only constant I have is weight training.  I will never stop doing that until I am physically unable to do so.  I also mix in some martial arts, mountain biking, golf, and now, running.  I would absolutely love to add in some rock climbing to that list.

You've got some great places to climb pretty close by.