HELP ME BUILD MY FIRST 308/7.62 AR RIFLE

Sonny

Sonny, I've built 2 CMT ar-15's and I have one of their 308 receiver sets in my safe waiting to be built. The pieces are extremely well built and fit together perfectly. I like the fact that they designed the lower to take one of the 45* selector switches.

Hopefully my barrel will be here sometime next week so that I can begin my build. I can't wait to shoot it against my M&P 10 to see how it does.

I was about to pull the trigger on building a Mega when CMT announced ( or rather, MacGyver...) that they were finishing their design. I'm glad it worked out that way as CMT builds first rate stuff.

Mark
  • Like 1
I have everything except a bolt carrier: (probably should get that ordered)

-Mega Arms upper/lower (came with a charging handle) ~$600
-JP 20" barrel (came with headspaced bolt) ~$500
-JP adjustable gas block ~$80
-JP free float modular handguard ~$200
-Gemtech flashhider ~$100
-Standard A2 stock, DPMS rifle length extension, DPMS .308 rifle buffer (had these laying around)
-assorted small parts like gas tube, trigger (will get upgraded eventually), etc

Just need the carrier and a descent optic...I'm happy with everything I chose but it is unfired so, we'll see. But it will be built for under $2000 not including optics.
I would lean towards a build something like this:

Billet receiver set
JP, Rainier match, or noveske 18" barrel
Matching bolt
Geissele trigger
Magpul Prs for heavy or sopmod for lighter

Many handguards to choose from these days so choose wisely. I'd opt to save weight and $$ on handguard and do your homework on the barrel and bolt.

$2000 is plenty to build high end ar10.

What are you planning to do with it? Mostly a DMR type or bench gun or all purpose? They will be on the heavy side when using a longer barrel and quad rail.

Nothing precision crazy just a good battle rifle 14,5 or 16 barrel something that is lighter with a 308 punch so more of a all purpose rifle
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after doing all kind of research and crunching numbers i got me a rifle - i dint build one this time i ended up buying one from Guns and Leather  and after thinking hard i couldn't get my self to buy a Scar 17  for $2800 - 3000  and ended up purchasing a Ruger SR 762. another nice thing was that the owner from G&L matched Buds online price of $1540 which was very nice and that's why i buy most guns from them, i am very happy with the purchase it is a solid built rifle and surprisingly light for a Piston, plus flip up sights and 3 Pmags came with it, cant wait to get better and get out to shoot it.