Place to get good gun belts

One thing I've learned pretty quickly in my journey into carrying a handgun -- I need to invest in a good gun belt.  I'd really like to get a couple -- one that's more dressy, and the other more casual.  And while I want something of good quality, I don't want to spend any more than I have to.  Just wondering, what should I be looking for?  And, is there a store in the Athens/Knoxville/Chattanooga area that has a good selection at decent prices?

This may sound odd, but are there any Amish communities near you? If so, I would highly suggest paying them a visit. I picked up a pair of 2" & 1.5" wide handmade belts made from 11 oz. bullhide for only $22 each & they're just as nice as any $80-$100 belts I've looked at in outdoor shops or online. The 1.5" is plain & the 2" has a nice basket weave pattern & both came with heavy duty buckles. I've been wearing the 2" belt for a year now & it's still stiff as the day I bought it. I bought mine at "Muddy Pond" near Crossville. You can't beat the quality.

Edited by luvmyberetta
  • Like 2
I was researching these to buy one soon. There were three everyone said were the best. Belt man, A Better Belt, and the Wilderness belt. I'm probably going with A Better Belt. There were also many other good choices, but these were the three I saw the most.
  • Like 1
I bought both of mine at GT's, my dress belt is a G&G($50) and my tactical belt is the 5.11 Double Duty($20). I purposely didn't get an operator style belt because I didn't want the metal buckle. I at first questioned if the Double Duty was strong enough and it is.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/5.11-Double-Duty-1.75-inch-TDU-Belt-/productDetail/Mens-Tactical-Accessories/prod999901360020/cat120607 Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
Another vote for Beltman. I just got my second one because I wanted black, I have a brown one that is about 5 years old and still looks great.

I have not seen this kind of quality in belts since I was buying duty leather. I’ve never seen anything close to these belts in the stores.

But they aren’t cheap, they are basically a hundred bucks shipped. My last one took 7 weeks to get, but they also have some standard belts that are ready to ship.
  • Like 1
[quote name="luvmyberetta" post="1151920" timestamp="1400984448"]This may sound odd, but are there any Amish communities near you? If so, I would highly suggest paying them a visit. I picked up a pair of 2" & 1.5" wide handmade belts made from 11 oz. bullhide for only $22 each & they're just as nice as any $80-$100 belts I've looked at in outdoor shops or online. The 1.5" is plain & the 2" has a nice basket weave pattern & both came with heavy duty buckles. I've been wearing the 2" belt for a year now & it's still stiff as the day I bought it. I bought mine at "Muddy Pond" near Crossville. You can't beat the quality.[/quote] I agree 100% I have 2 that I bought in MI at an Amish store that are over 2 years old. One brown and one black. Paid less that $15 ea for them. I have no a$$ disease so I have to wear my belt really tight and these don't stretch or wear out at all. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1

I know I myself and many others love these:
http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts_ccw_the_gunner.html

I got one in black and one in brown back when they used to be $30. They are still a bargain at $40 compared to the prices charged elsewhere for the same thickness of belt. Mine have held their shape like a champ too.

My favorite is the Uncle Mike's reinforced belt, though. I think it's actually better than most 3X it's price, because almost the entire circumference of the belt is covered by velcro instead of just a small 1" X 3" area. Edited by BigK
  • Like 3

Hey, thanks for all the replies so far.  Definitely gives me something to work with.  Sounds like most of you custom order yours rather than picking them up at a local store.  I may check out Gander Mountain, see what they have, and then make up my mind.  Thanks again!

Tractor Supply has some good looking leather belts. No idea how they will hold up though. I am currently considering a Beltman belt myself.
Not sure why I didn't think about the Amish - I may swing over towards Lawrenceburg this week and see what I can find.
  • Like 1

there are many good gun belts out there these days.  what i have been using for the last 6 years is the 5.11 dress belt.  i got a black and brown model.   it has the plastic incert and works with all type of dress.  if you shop around you can find them for under $30.00 dollars on the net.  

Edited by frankmako
  • Like 1