"You better get that gun registered!"

Guest unreconstructed1

Ok,guys(and gals,too!), I will try to be more specific. I know that we can qualify with a .22 and go on carrying a .44 mag if we want.

I was referring to some advise my carry instuctor gave all of us. He said that if we ever got into a self-defense situation that it would look better for us if we HAD qualified with the firearm we used in that situation. Less for the prosecuting atty to chew on.

I also didn't clarify that I was in the second class when we were ALLOWED by the state to carry a firearm.Yup,it has been a few years.

At that time we were only ALLOWED to qualify and carry one firearm and its serial number was listed on your carry permit.Thankfully that is no more.I was concerned at the beginning that if my firearm had broken down or gotten stolen that I would be defensless.

I am a violent crime survivor and wasn't about to let that happen again.

Like I said in my earlier post,when they ALLOWED us to qualify with another firearm,I did.

My first pistol was a Taurus 92-C. My backup was a Norinco .45. Heh,heh,heh!:eek:

My idea was that the more guns I qualified with the better to vary my carrying dress capabilities. A 9mm in the summer and a 45 in the winter.

Sorry I was as clear as mud in my first post.

Hmmm...,50 posts!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest unreconstructed1

I also didn't clarify that I was in the second class when we were ALLOWED by the state to carry a firearm.Yup,it has been a few years.

sorry for the misunderstanding. I honestly have no idea regarding carry laws as they were before the current laws came into effect, as I've only been a resident here for about 6 years.

Not to beat a dead horse....but you are not qualifing (at least not in the current HCP classes) with the gun. Many instructors stop counting the target once it has the required number of hits.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't it a simple pass/fail on the firing range portion? There is nothing that really shows your degree of compatance with the handgun other than you were able to hit the target at least the minimum number of times.

I admit I have no real knowledge of the permit system in place prior to the current one. But it sounds like I am glad we have the current system, at least in the sense of being able to carry any handgun you have once you have your HCP.

sorry for the misunderstanding. I honestly have no idea regarding carry laws as they were before the current laws came into effect, as I've only been a resident here for about 6 years.

No worries! Back in my day it was so tough I walked to school uphill both ways!:dirty:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't it a simple pass/fail on the firing range portion? There is nothing that really shows your degree of compatance with the handgun other than you were able to hit the target at least the minimum number of times.

caveat: I haven't taught a "permit" class in a couple of years, so my reply is based on something that may have changed.

It depends on your definition of "pass/fail." (unless it has changed) you have to score 70 percent. If you fire 50 rounds, 35 of them have to hit the target silhouette. (although, the actual required number of rounds was 48, not 50, most places I'm familiar with fire 50 since a typical box of ammo is 50 rounds)

caveat: I haven't taught a "permit" class in a couple of years, so my reply is based on something that may have changed.

It depends on your definition of "pass/fail." (unless it has changed) you have to score 70 percent. If you fire 50 rounds, 35 of them have to hit the target silhouette. (although, the actual required number of rounds was 48, not 50, most places I'm familiar with fire 50 since a typical box of ammo is 50 rounds)

....and my point was that many instructors stop counting hits after 35. Also that nothing on any paper work shows 75% or 80% or 95% etc... on how many hits you got, simply that you "passed". (If you got at least 35 hits that is).

I would just think if you are qualifing there would be a more precise record of how you did.

Snow wonder,it was a long time ago!

(badump,bump!)

I remember it as something like 48 out of 50 too.

We also were made aware of where the bullets went that didn't hit the target.Sobering,to say the least.

Guest unreconstructed1
unreconstructed1 you better git that gun registered if ya don't all your Babies are gonna be born nekked !!! lol

you think that's bad? my wife runs a furniture store that is housed in a building that he owns. since I'm not working at the moment, I was helping her. today, she (he wouldn't tell me this) was informed that if I "couldn't leave that damn gun at home, then I could stay at home" :wave:

and this from a gun owner...

I told her that if he was too damn scared to get a permit, he needed to eave me alone>>>:D

....and my point was that many instructors stop counting hits after 35. Also that nothing on any paper work shows 75% or 80% or 95% etc... on how many hits you got, simply that you "passed". (If you got at least 35 hits that is).

I would just think if you are qualifing there would be a more precise record of how you did.

Understood, I was just simply commenting that it depends on the definition of "pass/fail."

Guest slothful1

You need to tell your MIL, in hushed tones, that it is a "ballistic assault gun" that cannot be legally registered in Tennessee at all, then ask her not to tell anyone else about it.

Guest unreconstructed1
I think the best way to handle her is to ask her to make a call or two and find out where you do this gun registration at. Tell her you tried but can't find the answer.

actually, I just let it go, and now that I'm banned from there, they'll be leaving me alone about it.

Or you could not tell her its a gun... and that you've employed as a construction worker... who carries his drill on his hip.

I mean... the resemblance is there.

Guest superdrew4000

Ya know, it's funny. We had some friends of my wife over for dinner the other night (my risotto was outstanding by the way.:D) and the husband of this couple mentions he's thinking of buying his first firearm for home defense. I didn't bring it up, I swear!

So, after dinner, I try to share what little I've learned, and this guy asks if handguns need to be registered in TN. No, no, no, I say, we live in a semi-free state. Before I could even finish, my wife looks at me, and bless her liberal heart, asks me if I'm sure. And could I pllleeeeeasssee find out for suuuure.

So the next day I lied and said I looked it up. :clap: Haven't heard a peep since.