Last battle rifle

RC3

Already have an FAL and finally got myself a G3. Now all I need is an M14 to complete this group. And I probably know the answer (good luck), but what is the cheapest place I can get one at? And compared to the other two rifles, would it be worth it?

Already have an FAL and finally got myself a G3. Now all I need is an M14 to complete this group. And I probably know the answer (good luck), but what is the cheapest place I can get one at? And compared to the other two rifles, would it be worth it?

IMO you already have the better of the 3,the M14 is extremely outdated when compared to the two you already own. Worth all depends on what you want it for,finish a collection of the best known battle rifles sure,want something you can throw in an extremely heavy expensive yet really cool aftermarket chassis that you show off at the range sure,if you want one in hopes of it being better battle rifle than the G3 or FAL then NO. Now when considering price it really depends what you want out of the rifle, a M14 built with all USGI parts from a reputable manufacturer is going to cost some real coin to which I would simply recommend getting a Scar 17, a hit or miss Fed Ord can likely be had for $700-ish however many horror stories leads me to stay away from them I hear the term bad "receiver geometry" as well as the word "dangerous" a lot when they are brought up, another option are the Springfields Ive bought and sold a Socom 16 for $1,000 so they can be had for a "reasonable" price. But I wouldnt expect to find one much cheaper than that. Shopping locally in store would likely be to time consuming unless you have a great relationship with your local dealer where you can tell him what your looking for and at what price and he is willing to call you if one comes in, I would check local listing sites daily and keep a sharp eye on gunbroker current listing seem to vary in price from around $800-$30,000. Just be patient and you will eventually catch the deal you're looking for.

Edited by ~48_South~
I have a great fondness for the M14/M1A rifles and it is my prefered battle rifle. I have two. A full size Federal Ordinance M14A and a Springfield Socom 16.
Springfield is probably the best way to go. Excellent rifles, but they ain't cheap. Used ones can be found for about $1000. I suggest taking a close look at the 18" Scout Squad rifle as I consider it to be the best all around weapon. I'm thinking about getting one of these myself.
The old Federal Ordinance rifles can still be found and are fairly inexpensive. BUT you have to know what you're looking at. The early rifles were made with excellent recievers and all G.I. parts. (Mine has a 4 digit serial number.) However as time passed, reciever quality dropped off and they started mixing in cheap import parts. By the time they finally closed the doors, Fed Ord rifles were little more than cheap chinese junk. If you find one, be sure to field strip it and check all the parts. If there are any non-G.I. parts in it- PASS.
Norinco imported some for a while. Just don't do that. The less said about them the better.
And of course there are the custom builders. They can put together a 1000 yard tack driver for you, but you'll probably have to take out a second mortgage to finance it.

I trained and carried an M14 before the M16 and it will always be my prefered battle rifle.  I now have two rifles from Springfield Armory, a loaded model and a Camp Perry 100th year Anniversary model.  This is an excellent rifle and you will enjoy shooting one.

• Like 1

I suggest taking a close look at the 18" Scout Squad rifle as I consider it to be the best all around weapon. I'm thinking about getting one of these myself.

I have to second the Scout Squad.  I picked one up last year... IMHO, the M14/M1A makes more sense with the 18" barrel.  Great all-purpose weapon.

You said "last battle rifle"....  :rofl:

There is no "last", there is only "next". 

Last one for my collection, that way I have all the iconic .308's.....

Before you call your upcoming M1A/M14 your "last battle rifle", maybe a nice M1 Garand would be a good addition. Despite the CMP backorder situation, the Civilian Marksmanship Program is still a great deal on an all forged steel and walnut battle rifle!

http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

Good luck with the M1A/M14 hunt!

My friend has a M1 garand, I have shot his three different ones. I didnt like any of them. They all fired great, just not my thing.

As for the M14, I would prefer to find one under 1k, but I will probably save up and get it for christmas. Looking at getting a bipod, scope mount and scope for the G3.

There is never going to be a last one, you're always going to find another you want.  I thought I had done the same thing yet I recently bought another one.

My only issue is money. I have a deep sense of regret when I make any and all firearm purchases. Dont know why.

Yes. I cant explain why I dont like the garand tho.

How can anyone not like a Garand?  It is only Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton.

• Like 1

How can anyone not like a Garand?  It is only Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton.

Sorry. Not my thing. I will admit I had a wonderful time with the M1 carbine. And even tho gen patton may have called it the greatest, I am not him. Nor his incarnation.

There is never going to be a last one, you're always going to find another you want.  I thought I had done the same thing yet I recently bought another one.

Nice avatar!  That Karen Gillan is a real looker!

• Like 1

I know we are in America and we are Americans, how ever I will pick up Saiga in 7.62x51 before my FNAL or the CETME.

The Saiga is a get it dirty with mud and dirt and still fire, the FNAL and CETME, I just do not know.

I know we are in America and we are Americans, how ever I will pick up Saiga in 7.62x51 before my FNAL or the CETME.

The Saiga is a get it dirty with mud and dirt and still fire, the FNAL and CETME, I just do not know.

I dont consider the saiga one since its on the ak platform. Same for AR10's. Not true battle rifles, just beefed up rifles.

I dont consider the saiga one since its on the ak platform. Same for AR10's. Not true battle rifles, just beefed up rifles.

Well if ya go there, unless you have the stamp to make the happy switch work it is not a BR.

The FAL is likely more reliable than a Saiga.... it's got an easily adjustable gas system for that specific reason.

Check out "the legend of ol' dirty".... built a FAL, tossed it in the swamp (literally), drained the water out, and started shooting. 16,000 rounds and several years later it still works and has never been cleaned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68486

We have a term for people who don't like Garands - heretic :)

I was honestly waiting for someone to call me a pinko commie. But I guess heretic works. I have shot them, stripped them, cleaned them. Just cant like them.

I was honestly waiting for someone to call me a pinko commie. But I guess heretic works. I have shot them, stripped them, cleaned them. Just cant like them.

Check your birth certificate.  Anyone from America (especially TN) has a place in their heart for the M1/M14 rifles. :usa:

No plastic can ever equal a beautiful wood stock.

Edited by tnhawk

... Same for AR10's. Not true battle rifles, just beefed up rifles.

At least on the international scene the LMT .308 could be considered a battle rifle in terms of its' military adoption- Around 2011: The New Zealand Army adopted the Lewis Machine & Tactical LMT .308 AR-10 rifle as their Designated Marksman Rifle. In 2010 the British Army also adopted the LMT 308 as a designated marksman rifle. (No 3 round burst on the military ones, but rather same as available to the commercial market).

On the M1A topic, maybe you can luck into an earlier one that is chocked full of usgi forged parts. Not personal experience, but it appears that it is not rare for the current M1A extractors to have early failure. Probably best to keep a spare forged extractor. Edited by Djay3

Check your birth certificate.  Anyone from America (especially TN) has a place in their heart for the M1/M14 rifles. :usa:

No plastic can ever equal a beautiful wood stock.

I wasnt born here. So....... I do like the wooden m14...... just not the m1...... Sorry. I guess I will go sit in a corner and think about all my life choices.