Last battle rifle

RC3

On the M1A topic, maybe you can luck into an earlier one that is chocked full of usgi forged parts. Not personal experience, but it appears that it is not rare for the current M1A extractors to have early failure. Probably best to keep a spare forged extractor.

That right there is making me even more uncertain about buying it. I would be looking into the spring fields preferably in a 18" preferably.

That right there is making me even more uncertain about buying it. I would be looking into the spring fields preferably in a 18" preferably.

Fortunately, M1A/M14 and M1s share the same extractor. USGI extractors remain on the market so maybe the extractor failure rate won't become a deal breaker. The extractor failure rate can easily be magnified online, as we all know, since the breakage stories get posted online and not the ones that keep chugging along.
If you are collecting 308 battle rifles, you'll have to add an Argentine FN49 to your collection. Its chambered in 308 and mag fed with a 20 round detachable mag. If you want to include 7.62 bolt guns, you could add Israeli, chilean and Brazilian mausers which were all fielded in 7.62 last century. I would also suggest branching into the french MAS 44, MAS 49 and MAS 49/56 series which are in 7.5 French, which is a .308 bullet, so could fit your collection should you want. These are impressive rifles and the 49/56 is reasonably priced and can be scoped with an original scope.

If you are collecting 308 battle rifles, you'll have to add an Argentine FN49 to your collection. Its chambered in 308 and mag fed with a 20 round detachable mag. If you want to include 7.62 bolt guns, you could add Israeli, chilean and Brazilian mausers which were all fielded in 7.62 last century. I would also suggest branching into the french MAS 44, MAS 49 and MAS 49/56 series which are in 7.5 French, which is a .308 bullet, so could fit your collection should you want. These are impressive rifles and the 49/56 is reasonably priced and can be scoped with an original scope.

I was just thinking about the top three most iconic ones. I do want a brasilian mouser tho. And after looking up the FN49, I want one. WHY did you have to  tempt me!

Guest tangojuliet

Check your birth certificate.  Anyone from America (especially TN) has a place in their heart for the M1/M14 rifles. :usa:

No plastic can ever equal a beautiful wood stock.

no anyone from tennessee should have a soft spot for the model 1917 the gun sgt york used 

[quote name="RC3" post="1153672" timestamp="1401490516"]I was just thinking about the top three most iconic ones. I do want a brasilian mouser tho. And after looking up the FN49, I want one. WHY did you have to tempt me![/quote] Its what i'm here to do 😜 You also will need a semi auto browning 1919 in 308 as well

Its what i'm here to do 😜You also will need a semi auto browning 1919 in 308 as well

Im gonna have to skip the browning. But out of sheer curiosity, how much does an fn49 go for and how hard is it to find?
[quote name="RC3" post="1153829" timestamp="1401531447"]Im gonna have to skip the browning. But out of sheer curiosity, how much does an fn49 go for and how hard is it to find?[/quote] Argie fn49's are 1000-1200 range depending on condition and buyer/seller urgency
Guest tangojuliet

Woudnt that be a springfield 1903 tho? If so, meh. K98 is where it is at.

nope the model 1917 is based on the british pattern 14  which we rechambered do to the british canceling the contract and also low serial numbered springfield had a heat reat issue so the model 1917 was the primary arm the US army used in WW1

I dont consider the saiga one since its on the ak platform. Same for AR10's. Not true battle rifles, just beefed up rifles.

A battle rifle is generally either a full auto or semi auto rifle adopted by a military force which uses a full power cartridge. The Saiga is in fact a battle rifle by definition.

A battle rifle is generally either a full auto or semi auto rifle adopted by a military force which uses a full power cartridge. The Saiga is in fact a battle rifle by definition.

Yes, but its from the Kalashnikov family.

[quote name="RC3" post="1156459" timestamp="1402178181"]Yes, but its from the Kalashnikov family.[/quote] That makes no difference to the definition of the word brother. By that logic, the G3, FAL, and M14 should all be in separate categories as per your interpretation. An AR10 is a battle rifle while an M16 is an assault rifle, while they're the same family, that being the Stoner weapons family they are inherently different just in those two classifications. A Saiga .308 AK is in fact a battle rifle while a Saiga 7.62x39 AK is an assault rifle and the same way a SVD Dragunov or a Mk11(M110) or Mk12 are sniper rifles and not assault rifles nor battle rifles(obviously I'm not talking about our imported sporter versions either). A weapons family does not denote what category it falls under. Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.
  • Like 1

Argie fn49's are 1000-1200 range depending on condition and buyer/seller urgency

When I first got my C&R FFL, FN49's were between 600-700 bucks.  I thought they were too expensive (also didn't realize what they were) so I didn't buy one.  I'm kicking myself now.

When I first got my C&R FFL, FN49's were between 600-700 bucks.  I thought they were too expensive (also didn't realize what they were) so I didn't buy one.  I'm kicking myself now.

So many of us can say the exact same thing for a LOT of things. Not just firearms.

Who runs the Saiga in 308? Ive tried to find information on which military units field or have fielded this weapon and I come up with nothing.

[quote name="~48_South~" post="1156523" timestamp="1402187458"]Who runs the Saiga in 308? Ive tried to find information on which military units field or have fielded this weapon and I come up with nothing.[/quote] Touché, that is a valid point and I concede. I do PERSONALLY still consider it a battle rifle just by the nature of the beast BUT by definition it hasn't been fielded. Sent from the future using a flux capacitor. Edited by whitewolf001

Touché, that is a valid point and I concede. I do PERSONALLY still consider it a battle rifle just by the nature of the beast BUT by definition it hasn't been fielded. Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

Which is why it wasnt on my list. But do I want one, yes. I thing it was more of a publicity move by them. Cant see any other reason.

It has always been my understanding that the cartridge was the difference between a Battle Rifle and an Assault Rifle. Battle Rifles were chambered for "Full Power" rifle Cartridge, such as a 7.62x51 NATO, 30-06, .303, 7.62x54, 8mm, etc,etc. An Assault Rifle is chambered for what is known as an Intermediate cartridge, like the 5.56x39, 5.56x45 and the 7.62x39. 

There are some AK variant weapons  chambered in 7.62x51 NATO, in use in military forces around the world, but they are primarily used as light machine guns.  Israel and South Africa quickly come to mind.