9mm vs 357 read first

bayouvol

I know the 357 is much more powerful but I am talking about shtf type problem. Bug out (or in). The 9 is a military round and from a five inch barrel could kill small deer. The 357 is more powerful and has a better range. Also can shoot 38. Would ammo availability be enough to overcome the other? Also with springs and mags to deal with the 357 is easier to maintain for any length of time and shooting. Which would you choose?
In a shtf scenario I think I'd lean towards 9mm. Faster follow up shots due to decreased recoil, enough power to get the job done, and takes half as much powder to reload. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is no more versatile handgun than the .357 revolver with a 4" or 6" barrel.  A Lee handloader and a bullet mold will allow you to shoot virtually forever.  

Light .38Spl loads can be very quiet (much quieter than a .22lr) and will put bunnies and squirrels in your pot.

Heavier .357 loads will take any critter in TN except an elk (if you are at close range, even an elk is doable).

A revolver will shoot any load you can put in it without worrying about whether it will cycle the action.

As mentioned above, a .357 carbine is an excellent companion piece.  The hot loads will generate almost twice the kinetic energy in a rifle, while a light .38Spl is in airgun territory for noise out of the longer barrel.

If you have cases, reloading for the .357 or .38 with a handloader and mold is easier than almost anything else.  Primers can be recycled with a bit of knowledge, and powder can be made with a bit of practice.  Lead can be scrounged from many sources.

All this is making me want to look again for a good 38/357 lever gun. I know the Rossi is ok, but just a few little things I don't care for on it.

So I guess I'll have to find some money for a better one. Thinking a nice Winchester, or maybe a Henry.
  • Like 1

A .357 revolver with a 4+ inch barrel is a capable handgun...a handgun capable of shooting three calibers, .38, .38+P, and .357, and a handgun capable of taking deer, killing anything else that doesn't require a shotgun or a heavy rifle, and capable of shooting through car doors. On the flip side, a modern 9mm with 9mm loads and 9mm +P loads in the 124 grain and heavier category gives superior capacity. With 16+1, 17+1, on up capacity, it's tough to justify a six or seven round wheel gun. If I had to chose only one, I'd go with the .357. When ammo completely runs out in a SHTF scenario, .357 prevails for reloading, if for no other reason than you don't have to hunt for spent casings on the ground! I'd get either a Henry or Marlin lever action to go with it. I have no personal experience with 9mm carbines but from what I've seen, I wouldn't want to hunt with one.

If you can take a deer in the woods with a head shot at 50 yards, go with the 9mm!  I'd prefer a clean kill in the vitals with a .357.     

Best answer: Get a Glock 34 and either a Ruger or Smith, then stock up on rounds for each!      

I have debated 357/38 vs others for SHTF for years. Honestly I think a 40 with a 9mm conversion barrel is a lot better SHTF BOB. What really interest me about a 357/38 is that I don't need magazines and handloads are easier made.
  • Like 2

All this is making me want to look again for a good 38/357 lever gun. I know the Rossi is ok, but just a few little things I don't care for on it.So I guess I'll have to find some money for a better one. Thinking a nice Winchester, or maybe a Henry.

I've looked at a few and have mixed feelings on them all. The Henry seems to be an all around nice rifle. My only gripe with it is not having a loading gate. Not a super big deal I guess for a range gun, but then I like being able to top it off on the fly.
I've shot a friends Marlin and really liked it a lot. Excellent rifle all the way around. Only issue with these is finding them locally for a good price. Especially if you want an older one, and it seems pretty unanimous that everyone wants older ones.
I like the Rossi, at least on paper. I'd like to see one at some point to see how they feel. If the action was tolerably slick and the fit and finish was clean I could see myself with one.

Realistically it will probably come down to whichever is in stock when I decide I can't live without one. :rolleyes:
If SHTF, I would go with a Ruger GP 100 with a 6" barrell. I can take a deer, hog, and it's a definate man stopper all in one gun. The downside is capacity but the upside is the power factor if you need it, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would practice, practice, practice fast reloads, as fast as you can do with a revolver with a speed loader or maybe have it altered to take moon clips. I like the Ruger GP 100 because it's a tank, a little heavier to absorb recoil and probably the strongest .357 mag revolver there is. If SHTF i'm not worried about weight or concealiblity, I just want a tough accurate, reliable handgun that I can take large game and also protect myself from bad guys.

ammo is non issue --- you can pop either one apart to make the other, if you had cases and a preference.

Not quite true. .357mag powder isnt going to work too well in 9mm. Magnum primers and standard small pistol primers arent the same either. And they use different bullet diameters.

ammo is non issue --- you can pop either one apart to make the other, if you had cases and a preference.

Not quite true. .357mag powder isnt going to work too well in 9mm. Magnum primers and standard small pistol primers arent the same either. And they use different bullet diameters.

I've looked at a few and have mixed feelings on them all. The Henry seems to be an all around nice rifle. My only gripe with it is not having a loading gate. Not a super big deal I guess for a range gun, but then I like being able to top it off on the fly.
I've shot a friends Marlin and really liked it a lot. Excellent rifle all the way around. Only issue with these is finding them locally for a good price. Especially if you want an older one, and it seems pretty unanimous that everyone wants older ones.
I like the Rossi, at least on paper. I'd like to see one at some point to see how they feel. If the action was tolerably slick and the fit and finish was clean I could see myself with one.

Realistically it will probably come down to whichever is in stock when I decide I can't live without one. :rolleyes:

That may be what happens with me, but I'd really like a Winchester. Might go for the Marlin, but the points you made are true for me as well.

Guess I'll have to look out and save for the Winchester.

My Zomie and hunting guns, I have the Ruger Redhawk 7.5" barrel and a Marlin 1894 with 20" barrel both in 44 mag. I also have the Ruger GP100 with 6" barrel in 357Mag/38 spec.  I sold my Marlin in 357mag, for it set in gun safe and I wanted an AR in 5.56. My one goto gun, three calibers in one,  is a Glock 23 Gen3 in 40SW with a 357 Sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel with 9MM mags.

All this is making me want to look again for a good 38/357 lever gun. I know the Rossi is ok, but just a few little things I don't care for on it.

So I guess I'll have to find some money for a better one. Thinking a nice Winchester, or maybe a Henry.

My Rossi, aside from the kindergarten/bb gun sights, is great. Mine has no safety, action is slick, trigger is good, and i can consistently ring an 6" gong at 100 yards with it offhand.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/for%20sale/IMG_2031.jpg.html]IMG_2031.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/for%20sale/IMG_2033.jpg.html]IMG_2033.jpg[/URL]