9mm vs 357 read first

bayouvol

Having a pair of SPs, I have been "eyes open" for a steal on a .357/.38 lever gun...in the interim I do have a 9mm carbine which should be effective on critters out to 75 - 100 yards in the right hands with the right ammo.

How about .30cal carbine? Ruger made a wheelie with a 7" barrel and if you paired it with an M1 Carbine - you're golden (as long as you have a zillion rounds of .30 and reload)

Since I am not a hunter or do long distance shooting, I like PCCs (pistol caliber carbines) to compliment my handguns.

SHTF I'm not gonna worry about a handgun, I'm gonna be packing my rifle!

That said look at the last little shortage. The lesson here is if you don't have it on hand, you wont have it.

I'm going to be packing both. A Glock 21 and an AK-47, that way I wont have to worry about carrying cleaning materials or worry about stupid malfunction drills.  :rock:

Okay, in the interest of not writing a 'novel, I will just say that if you foresee a SHTF situation where you are running around, living off the land and what you can scavenge and only able to carry what is in your backpack - and you really think you would survive long enough doing so that you would have time to wear out a modern firearm - then that is your perspective so whatever.  Me, I'm staying near my home, sleeping in my bed and keeping all my 'stuff' close at hand.  If I have to leave then I'll pile my 'stuff' in the camping trailer and take it with me.  I have no illusions that I would survive very long trying to do the John Rambo thing and I think that most people who indulge in such fantasies are fooling themselves.

These threads always tickle me as well. Everyone wants to grab a bag and run out into the country. Well, myself and my neighbors are already here, and have been here for generations. If you aren't invited, frankly, you won't be welcomed.

• Like 1

These threads always tickle me as well. Everyone wants to grab a bag and run out into the country. Well, myself and my neighbors are already here, and have been here for generations. If you aren't invited, frankly, you won't be welcomed.

But but, I have beer and .22 ammo with me. Can I come on in?

Spots and I briefly talked about that same point in another thread several months ago.  Several others were saying how they planned to grab a bag and head into the country so I said that my plan was to go home, grab a shotgun and tell all these folks who planned to run to the country to get the hell out of my yard.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
Only way I'm leaving my house is in an evasion or disaster evacuation scenario... Otherwise I'll take my chances with every resource at my disposal until I am forced to leave... And if that be with only one pistol, it will be with whichever one I have the most ammo for, remaining.

As far as 9mm vs. 357... Finding ammo will be a crapshoot at best, but if it gets so bad we're still wandering around after expending most of the ammo we started with, you bet there will be U. N. 'peacekeepers' on the ground who will 'provide' 9mm more readily than 357, if it came to that. Edited by molonlabetn

My ultimate "SHTF Unicorn," the FN Herstal Barracuda in .357/9mm! I wish I had enough money to buy the patent for this contraption from FN and start producing it. If it was a current production revolver, the prepper market would be ripe for it.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-action-revolvers/be/fn-barracuda-e.html 

I'd settle for finding a reasonably priced Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 9mm/.357 at a time when I have the cash to spring for it.

I'd settle for finding a reasonably priced Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 9mm/.357 at a time when I have the cash to spring for it.

When I got mine a few years back they were hard to find used and not even all that easy to find new. I had to special order mine from my LGS and they said only one of their distributers had one.

YMMV