Things are beginning to turn around..... for good

For a change, I have an interview with Yates Nissan tomorrow. Wish me luck. I had one interview with Viam today, They offered me a job but i think Nissan might be a better company to work for in the end. It's the Decherd plant.

First interview, then hopefully training, then hopefully i'll be working full time. (Just hoping i get hired on).

• Like 4

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you get on at Nissan but let me warn you.They seldom ever hire on first interview. You may have to go to 2 or 3 before you get hired but if you can hold out that long once you get on they are great company to work for. I have about 10 friends working at the plant in Smyrna and all of them had to have at least 2 and a couple had 3 interviews before getting hired on. I had one of my buddy's tell me that by making you attend a few different interviews if you make all of them you will normally get hired on. They want to see how bad you want to work for them he thinks and he does not regret doing the 3 interviews at all. Loves his job.

• Like 1

The interview went great. I start the pre-training the second friday in June and it goes for 3 total fridays. 7 am to 3:30 pm each day.

I know it's no guarantee of a job but i have also heard the initial training is worse than the job itself. I guess they have to weed out those who want to work and those who just want to goof off.

Just glad they are giving me a chance. Thanks all

• Like 6

Another tip,  get to pre-training early.   I have a friend who works there now.  He said at his first pre-trainiing they had overbooked because usually there is a lot of  "no shows".   The instructor announced that fact and said that this was the first time ever that everyone who was scheduled actually showed up and that they did not have enough room for everyone.  All who had gotten their early and had already gotten a seat could stay.   All who were standing around the perimeter of the room would have to be rescheduled.

If you get third shift, be warned of one of my friends. He can clear the line with one fart.

Oh, i'm hoping for first or second shift. ( i have worked 3rds before and i'm not a late night person). Let's hope i don't encounter your gaseous friend.

• 4 weeks later...

As a re cap.

I passed the tests. And greatly improved my times in the three days. So I'm in the hiring pool. So I hope i get called in for more "actual" training.

After my first day there i got some nuts and bolts (similar in size to what we were testing on) and it made a world of difference. I would also advise anyone else who does the PET thatthey get nitrile gloves or something similar and practice rolling washer nuts and bolts and body screws in your fingers. I still believe i am doing the rolling motion in my sleep.

Just know they won't call until after shutdown has finished.

Thanks all, i hope they call soon, I'm ready to get back to work.

• 1 month later...

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you get on at Nissan but let me warn you.They seldom ever hire on first interview. You may have to go to 2 or 3 before you get hired but if you can hold out that long once you get on they are great company to work for. I have about 10 friends working at the plant in Smyrna and all of them had to have at least 2 and a couple had 3 interviews before getting hired on. I had one of my buddy's tell me that by making you attend a few different interviews if you make all of them you will normally get hired on. They want to see how bad you want to work for them he thinks and he does not regret doing the 3 interviews at all. Loves his job.

I worked for Yates at the Smyrna plant for 5 months in 2011, had to quit because I was back in the paint department and started getting killer migraines all the time. My health was more important than 16 bucks an hour, so I quit. The job was ok, boring as hell like most factory jobs, but I had a job I preferred to be left on, and I walked constantly all night, and no one bothered me. 

I decided to go back to college, and get my chemistry degree. My mind isn't made for dull, repetitive tasks, I have to be creative and constantly solving problems. That said, if you are in a pinch, it is an ok short term job, but I couldn't imagine doing it for years.

Edited by ab28