Things are beginning to turn around..... for good

I worked for Yates at the Smyrna plant for 5 months in 2011, had to quit because I was back in the paint department and started getting killer migraines all the time. My health was more important than 16 bucks an hour, so I quit. The job was ok, boring as hell like most factory jobs, but I had a job I preferred to be left on, and I walked constantly all night, and no one bothered me. 

I decided to go back to college, and get my chemistry degree. My mind isn't made for dull, repetitive tasks, I have to be creative and constantly solving problems. That said, if you are in a pinch, it is an ok short term job, but I couldn't imagine doing it for years.

Dude in literally most of your posts over the past two days you have been negative or dismissive of others life choices, choices in knives, choices in guns, etc. Normally I'd keep my mouth shut but why would you come on a thread about a guy clearly having a hard time turning it around and getting a job that sounds like he has worked hard for only to crap on his choice of job?

• Like 5

Dude in literally most of your posts over the past two days you have been negative or dismissive of others life choices, choices in knives, choices in guns, etc. Normally I'd keep my mouth shut but why would you come on a thread about a guy clearly having a hard time turning it around and getting a job that sounds like he has worked hard for only to crap on his choice of job?

Wasn't crapping on the choice of job. It's actually pretty decent, I would have stayed longer if I hadn't started having health problems. I just couldn't imagine working there for 30 years like some of the guys I met there. If you are on the line, you will get hand and wrist problems using the screwguns. Was just stating factory jobs in general are boring and suck. That probably isn't news to anyone, though. The pay is good, and you get plenty of overtime, so if you are into that, it's a good job. I just personally have to have a job I enjoy, even if I make a lot less.

As far as being "dismissive" of other's choices in knives or guns, it is because I have found better options for cheaper, or other reasons, and have found in life early on that material possessions won't make you happy. Having almost nothing, being light and mobile, and not having to spend your time maintaining possessions is a huge freedom enabler.

If you had found one of the keys to happiness, wouldn't you want to share it with others? Wouldn't you want to let people know that the massive consumerism and materialism brainwashing we have had since birth is a lie? Wouldn't you want to let people know that their time is more valuable than the latest shiny toy? It takes a lot of self discipline to be a minimalist, but the outcome is more than worth it.

Here are a few links to get you started if you are interested in more freedom:

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

http://mnmlist.com/minimalist-faqs/

http://lifehacker.com/5991832/declutter-in-your-life-and-embrace-minimalism-this-weekend

Read over those, it's really an eye opener. Living against the grain and deciding you don't want to own anything is very freeing.

Sorry for the derail Wyldk2. Congrats on the job! Good workers really are hard to find and I'm glad things are looking up for you. They normally do for those that deserve it.

Yeah, the economy seems to be getting better. I was out of work for 5 months when I got the Nissan job, had put in over 50 applications for jobs in that 5 months, with nothing to show for it. The career center on old fort park is good, but some of the jobs are scams, had a landscaping job offering $12 an hour in the description, when I got out there, he said it was for $9 an hour. 

Nissan is good for a factory job, just try not to work on the line if you can help it. I had some friends there get severe carpal tunnel and other wrist and back problems from repetitive injuries. Their dental insurance is pretty good. Your health comes first, I'd quit if you start having bad health problems. The VA had me on migraine medications, and I got one anyway. 

It wasn't really a derail, honestly. It was going more in depth on factory work, and some very important lifestyle changes that would lead to living a more enjoyable life. 

I know it sounds like I am preaching, and I apologize for that, but I see people bumbling around everywhere, constantly buying stuff, and I want to be able to enlighten them and bring them up to my level if I can.

Wasn't crapping on the choice of job. It's actually pretty decent, I would have stayed longer if I hadn't started having health problems. I just couldn't imagine working there for 30 years like some of the guys I met there. If you are on the line, you will get hand and wrist problems using the screwguns. Was just stating factory jobs in general are boring and suck. That probably isn't news to anyone, though. The pay is good, and you get plenty of overtime, so if you are into that, it's a good job. I just personally have to have a job I enjoy, even if I make a lot less.

As far as being "dismissive" of other's choices in knives or guns, it is because I have found better options for cheaper, or other reasons, and have found in life early on that material possessions won't make you happy. Having almost nothing, being light and mobile, and not having to spend your time maintaining possessions is a huge freedom enabler.

If you had found one of the keys to happiness, wouldn't you want to share it with others? Wouldn't you want to let people know that the massive consumerism and materialism brainwashing we have had since birth is a lie? Wouldn't you want to let people know that their time is more valuable than the latest shiny toy? It takes a lot of self discipline to be a minimalist, but the outcome is more than worth it.

Here are a few links to get you started if you are interested in more freedom:

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

http://mnmlist.com/minimalist-faqs/

http://lifehacker.com/5991832/declutter-in-your-life-and-embrace-minimalism-this-weekend

Read over those, it's really an eye opener. Living against the grain and deciding you don't want to own anything is very freeing.

Read the post you made before this one and then come back and read this one. Ray Charles could see that there are no similarities. You told him a job that he is obviously happy and proud to have sucks in great detail. This forum is as great as it is because even when someone buys something that we wouldn't buy, likes something that may not be our choice or is happy to have a new job that others may not care to have, we are still happy that they're happy with their choice a certainly don't go around bashing it. I find the way you've chosen to live, a bit odd but I'm tickled to death that you enjoy it and certainly won't tell you it sucks or that it's stupid, etc. although it does seem to have made you quite negative towards others and their accomplishments.
  • Like 3

Congrats cuz!

Personally, chemistry sounds pretty sh!tty to me.

Not really, if you are good at math. The pay is decent and there are a ton of jobs available in the US and worldwide. 

Read the post you made before this one and then come back and read this one. Ray Charles could see that there are no similarities. You told him a job that he is obviously happy and proud to have sucks in great detail. This forum is as great as it is because even when someone buys something that we wouldn't buy, likes something that may not be our choice or is happy to have a new job that others may not care to have, we are still happy that they're happy with their choice a certainly don't go around bashing it. I find the way you've chosen to live, a bit odd but I'm tickled to death that you enjoy it and certainly won't tell you it sucks or that it's stupid, etc. although it does seem to have made you quite negative towards others and their accomplishments.

They are very similar. I said the job sucks, doesn't mean he does for getting it. 

It's not really negativity, sorry if it comes across that way. I have just found a much better way to live and was trying to share it with people to make their lives better. We can all break free of the materialism that plagues this country. It's a long and difficult road, but well worth it. 

Was just trying to help people out. 

Edited by ab28

Oh it's ok. Factory jobs are not for everyone. I actually was trying to go into law enforcement ( locally) but the fiancee and I decided it would be better if i was working where i couldn't get shot.

I've had my share of retail and could have taken another job in that field but there really is no future in it. Plus if i was to ever be a manager it would require long hours away from family and i just couldn't do that. Not for little pay.

Congrats cuz!

Personally, chemistry sounds pretty sh!tty to me.

Yes, chemistry sounds shitty to me as well. But to each their own.

Good for you man, bottle of champagne is on me (nothing too expensive, don't get excited :rofl: ).  PM me. 

Congrats!!  :up:

Thanks for the gesture, ( Will let you know). 

I am taking this job not just for myself but for my fiancee and her child.( well, soon to be my child). She works too, and works hard( school teacher). Not because of materialistic things but because I'm tired of making only so much only to have the government take it down quite a bit. Double what i was making at Retail and i won't have to deal with irate customers and no more working holidays. Definately don't want to work black friday ever again. ( Bunch of crybaby customers when i worked at Electronic Express).

I don't think you were meaning anything bad, ab28, But some on here thought so.

All I want to do is get out of debt, buy a newer truck( mine is a 1998 with 230000 miles, so i need a newer one) and take care of my new family. Enjoy life, and be able to enjoy life.

• Like 1

I am taking this job not just for myself but for my fiancee and her child.( well, soon to be my child). She works too, and works hard( school teacher). Not because of materialistic things but because I'm tired of making only so much only to have the government take it down quite a bit. Double what i was making at Retail and i won't have to deal with irate customers and no more working holidays. Definately don't want to work black friday ever again. ( Bunch of crybaby customers when i worked at Electronic Express).

I don't think you were meaning anything bad, ab28, But some on here thought so.

All I want to do is get out of debt, buy a newer truck( mine is a 1998 with 230000 miles, so i need a newer one) and take care of my new family. Enjoy life, and be able to enjoy life.

Yeah, I wasn't. Like I said, watch out for some of the work there, you can get hurt easily. Also, be on a constant lookout for forklift drivers, they are insane there. I understand that having a family will limit your options. If I ended up with kids, I'd probably have to severely limit myself on jobs, family comes first. 

Good grief, too much negativity mixed in with the congrats.

Job or career with a name brand company that should offer stability as long as HE cares to work there.

Cause a major foul up like dropping something off your forktruck, yeah you may get gone immediately. Having run a fork in a warehouse there are few legit reasons for losing a load.

nights and shift work? New guy typically get short end of the stick while building seniority.

Dude, happy that you have a job you are looking forward to with stability and a potential future career if you like the work and organization!
  • Like 1

I have 2 Nissan forklift drivers working for me (neither drive), they both got fired for dropping something off their lifts, both were walked right out the door after their instances.
Get ready for night and weekend shifts...

Yeah, I was on nights most of the time, then trained some people on seconds. I didn't mind. I don't know about the rest of the plant, but there were a couple forklift drivers where I was that almost ran me over a few times, and that was with me being really cautious. 

Was pretty scary, those things are heavy as hell, think the battery alone is like 3,000 lbs. 

To misquote Bill Gates "Every job is an opportunity" - glad you are able to provide for the family. Since moving to TN I've met many people that retired from or used Nissan as a stepping stone to other things. Either way, happy for you.....
  • Like 1
[quote name="ab28" post="1176264" timestamp="1407352220"]Not really, if you are good at math. The pay is decent and there are a ton of jobs available in the US and worldwide. They are very similar. I said the job sucks, doesn't mean he does for getting it. It's not really negativity, sorry if it comes across that way. I have just found a much better way to live and was trying to share it with people to make their lives better. We can all break free of the materialism that plagues this country. It's a long and difficult road, but well worth it. Was just trying to help people out. [/quote] Dude - you may consider the feedback people are giving you and realize you are not. Congrats to the OP for landing a job and buying whatever he wants with his income!
  • Like 3
[quote name="LagerHead" post="1176624" timestamp="1407436250"]I didn't think it had been that long since I took one. We used to pee in a cup back in the old days. You know, five years ago. [/quote] Depends on the company. Whiz quizzes only go back a couple months tops for weed and a lot less for harder drugs. Hair samples go a lot further. I did a follicle test for a job 4 years ago, and since my hair was so short they shaved a portion of my chest. Yes, my wife made fun of me, then made fun of me some more when I evened it out by shaving the rest.

Depends on the company. Whiz quizzes only go back a couple months tops for weed and a lot less for harder drugs. Hair samples go a lot further. I did a follicle test for a job 4 years ago, and since my hair was so short they shaved a portion of my chest. Yes, my wife made fun of me, then made fun of me some more when I evened it out by shaving the rest.

I think weed is only active in urine for up to a month. I don't smoke anymore, but I'm thin and athletic, and drink tons of water. I can pass one in a week. 

I have long hair now though. Not sure I agree with a drug test for a job. If someone wants to smoke on their day off, not the companies business. All the smokers I know are responsible and don't smoke on the job.