Jump to content

Tennessee Carry Permit

Recommended Posts

Ok the carry permit class is done. Now I need to go get my licence. One quick question. I need to order a birth certificate from CA but they have two different types one is for Identity verification the other is for information purposes. I thought i had a copy but cant find it. Which one will i need to take with me to get my mug shot taken?

Link to post

As I recall, I just needed 2 forms of identification and proof of residence... I didn't use my birth certificate, but I do remember that I could have used it. It just depends on what you have and prefer to use.

Link to post
Guest Kingfish

I can verify, you need the one for Idientity verification. Last time I had to get a copy of my California BC it took 3 months. Good luck.

Link to post
When did they start this birth certificate thing? I'm sure I didn't have to present that. Of course I'm way over the minimum age.


They started it maybe a year or two ago. Anytime you are getting a new type of ID or moving from out of state, etc you need your birth certificate, etc.

Link to post

This is from the Tn dept of safety:

Effective July 1, 2005, all new handgun permit applicants must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency unless such applicant has already provided this proof and it is documented on their driver license record.

Acceptable Proof of Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status Documents

Remember: No photocopies will be accepted!

* Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Guam);

* U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate

* U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)

* Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)

* Valid or expired U.S. Passport

* Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)

* Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)

* Unexpired U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card (DOD DD-2)

* U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)

* INS I-551 Permanent Resident Alien Card

* Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been "Processed for I-551"

* Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)

* Temporary I-551 stamp on Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with photograph of applicant.

* U.S. Department of Receptions and Placement Program Assurance Form (Refugee) and I-94 stamped refugee.

* Form I-94 Record of Arrival and Departure stamped Asylee, Parolee or Parole, refugee, asylum, HP (humanitarian parolee) or PIP (public interest parolee)

Link to post

Thanks for the information. I actually found it. I was cleaning a few weeks ago and thought i had thrown it away but i didnt just stuck it somewhere i forgot about. Yeah I was looking at the cal. website for certs and i was really glad i found mine. I wasnt sure if it was actually needed or not I work at the Navy base so i have several forms of ID i just wanted to be sure i had everything they might ask for. I appreciate the help.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.