Where do you buy your reloading supplies?

• 2 months later...

Powder Valley is still my go to. They usually have the best price, decent shipping charges,  They do not charge sales tax and they usually ship within a day or two. Sometimes I will check Outdoor Junction for powder. 

Edited by RandyB
  • Like 1
On 8/24/2021 at 7:01 AM, bob cratchet said:

I have not purchased reloading supplies in the past few years. How are prices running these days for powder, primers, and projectiles?

I'm finding powder here and there at something around $35 a pound. And I just bought 1000 Berry's 30-carbine bullets for $100. The last primers I saw for sale at a retail store were insanely priced. Premium bullets continue to fetch premium prices, but plinkers are available. I check Hodgdon and Powder Valley just about every day looking for some Retumbo or H1000, but no luck so far. When a powder comes available you'd better be ready to push the "buy now" button, as it won't be available for long. I've seen Varget at suggested retail price twice in the past couple of months, and it's gone within an hour. 

I cast bullets for quite a few of my handguns and a couple of rifles. I have a fair bit of lead on hand, so I should be able to continue with that for a few years. But finding tin to mix in has become more and more difficult. My local thrift shops probably think I collect pewter pieces, but it gets cut down and tossed in the pot.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Mdunntn said:

Anybody having any luck lately? I recently got into shooting sporting clays and am trying to get material together to start reloading shotshells. I’m in need of some Alliant Green Dot, but can’t find it anywhere online.

These are challenging times for us handloaders. I like Green Dot for 9mm use fwiw.

I was able to pick up some W231, H110, and Clean Shot a few weeks ago at Powder Valley. I just checked and they don't have any Green Dot this morning. So it's hit or miss these days. I check several sites several times a week for 2400...eventually 😉

I was shooting and talking with a friend yesterday, he's an avid handloader as well. He said he struck out on any components he was looking for in the Knoxville area, but ran across and picked up some Bullseye recently online.

Like I said, hit or miss.

Good luck and don't give up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, swiley383 said:

I am running very low on primers. I have not seen any that were not $100 per 1000. 

This is very interesting... When I started reloading back in the mid seventies, a good friend of mine told me to always do business with CCI.  He said CCI was the only non large ammo primer manufacturer who actually wanted to sell primers to reloaders. 

It's now 47 or so years later, and CCI has been absorbed into an ammo holding company.  Now primers are almost non existent.  The ammo makers don't want to sell primers to reloaders, they want to sell em ammo at confiscatory prices. 

Our only primer hope is either foreign primers or a new, independent, primer startup operation.  I'm hopeful that Palmetto State Arms may help this situation in the long run.

leroy...

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Heard a YouTuber of some reputation finally concede the point that the Feds are involved in the shortage of primers.  Apparently they have first dibs out of Win, Fed/CCI plants.  The same person has previously regurgitated the "supply and demand" argument which was the "right speak"  for that channel.  It also explains why non US made primers (Genex/Unis) are more available.  

Good that he woke up.

No, I don't have any proof.  It is what I have suspected from the start.  If they  can't control all the guns, make it too expensive to shoot much.

Don't trip out either way.  It is what it is...no primers at reasonable prices.  I would guess that it's probably gonna stay that way.  

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law picked up 4K small pistol primers for me yesterday. Local store with no purchase limit. $90 per 1000 so that hurts but that will take care of my USPSA habit for at least a year. Seems like Winchester is about all that’s out there but at least they are out there. 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems like $90 is about the going rate now for primers. Our last local gun show was actually higher but that didn't really surprise me.

Bass Pro seems to be the only place that consistently has primers, sizes vary. $90. I have also seen them at Dunham's for $90, CCI number 41's only.

It seems like of all of the stuff you need for reloading the hardest thing to find is still primers.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Target Sports just emailed me that they have CCI small rifle primers at 599.99 for 5000.

Hey, that's only twice what they used to cost before the idiots got control of our supply chain.

Anyway, said they are in stock....sooooooooo reload

Target Sports has been keeping them in stock for several weeks now. Very expensive, I agree.

Midway has been getting CCI primers on a pretty regular basis and the price is high there as well. and IIRC Midway limits you to only 1000 per order.

But... at least we are seeing them staying around for a bit.

Hopefully things will eventually get better. IDK, hope isn't a great plan. Time will tell... 🙂

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

And we thought it was crazy 10yrs ago.....

Anyway, no posts here in 1.5yrs, just curious if any good news lately on components. Haven't bought primers since the last big shortage (2011-12?), 150bucks for case of 5000 Winchester SPP at Dave's in Lebanon. I would like to try some new powder(s) for 300BLK out of curiosity. Been loading the same powders/calibers for so long it's almost boring j/k . Only new caliber added in decades is the 300BLK , really like it, both quieted and loud. Might need some more SRM primers. Merry Christmas and God bless all of you. [anyone seen DLM37015 out and about ?]

2 hours ago, ozo said:

And we thought it was crazy 10yrs ago.....

Anyway, no posts here in 1.5yrs, just curious if any good news lately on components. Haven't bought primers since the last big shortage (2011-12?), 150bucks for case of 5000 Winchester SPP at Dave's in Lebanon. I would like to try some new powder(s) for 300BLK out of curiosity. Been loading the same powders/calibers for so long it's almost boring j/k . Only new caliber added in decades is the 300BLK , really like it, both quieted and loud. Might need some more SRM primers. Merry Christmas and God bless all of you. [anyone seen DLM37015 out and about ?]

You won't find those prices, but Midsouth has had them and various powders throughout the shortages of and on.  

What are you trying to get out of the 300Blk, and what powders have you tried so far?

• 1 month later...