TN Handgun Carry Permit Schools and Instructors

School Name: Critical Incident Strategies, LLC

Primary Instructor: Dustin

Cost: $100

Website: [email="criticalincidentstrategies@yahoo.com"]criticalincidentstrategies@yahoo.com[/email]

Phone number: 615-347-0787

I took his defensive shotgun course yesterday and was very pleased with the course and the way he presented the material. Very straight forward and practical. I would consider this a beginner to low-mid intermediate level class.Saying that, I did come away with a lot of new tools that I didn't have before and that's worth the price of admission.

Joe
[quote name='Rngr888' timestamp='1280712854' post='472808'][B]School Name: SHOOTERS EDGE, LLC
Location: 413 Century Court (TRI-County Industrial Park) Piney Flats, TN 37686
Primary Instructor: Mike Lewis
HCP Class Cost: $110.00 (INDOOR Classes and Range)
Website: [URL="http://www.myshootersedge.com"]www.myshootersedge.com[/URL]
Phone number: 423 538-EDGE
Your Personal Experience: I'm bias, I am the Director of Training.[/B][/quote]

I've taken 3 classes with Mike and the staff at shooters edge. All have been great.
  • 3 weeks later...

School Name:  Unaka Rod & Gun Club, Inc.

Johnson City, TN

Primary Instructor:  Stanley Shell

HCP Class Cost:  $50, cash or check.  Sorry, no credit cards.  Club guns (.22 Ruger semi-autos) are available, but prefer students bring their own guns.

Phone number:  Mike Murray (Club President) -- (423) 926-0221

Your Personal Experience:  I am one of four regular instructors for this course.  Class begins at 8:00 a.m. on the second Saturday of every month and ends at about 4:30 p.m.  Double check on the club's web site to be sure there have been no schedule changes.  Bring your gun and 50 rounds of commercial ammo (unless borrowing a club gun) and your driver's license.  You can purchase lunch in the neighborhood or bring your own and dine in the clubhouse.  Firing range is outside, so dress accordingly.  No pre-registration is required but class is limited to 40 students, so arrive early to assure a seat.

Edited by Tri-Cities Bob
  • 1 month later...
Guest Am mommas
Instructor: Chris Lowe
Clowefirearminst@yahoo.com
Serves: pleasant view and surrounding areas.
Certification: TN HCP and NRA certified
HCP class cost: $55

This guy has been really cooperative with my organizing women's group classes. He does classes at a shop in Springfield. Only downside to that is the range is in pleasant view that he uses. Edited by Am mommas
  • 6 months later...

School Name:                                 Sumner Gun & Supply
Location:                                         526 West main St. Gallatin TN 37066
Primary Instructor:                        Steve Murphy
HCP Class Cost:                            $55 (on sale)
Phone number:                              615-934-9825
Your Personal Experience:          I don't have other TN HCP classes to compare them by, but I liked what I learned and had fun. Their indoor range is nice, too.

School Name:                                 Guy Personal Defense
187 Cutoff Rd or8697 Powell's Chapel Rd Murfreesboro, TN

Primary Instructor:                        Tim Guy
HCP Class Cost:                            $30 (truck says $40 but he charged me $30)
http://www.guysecuritytraining.com/
Phone number:                              615-473-6493
Your Personal Experience:          The class was good. We drove to OK Coral though which was a quite a haul (but a cool range).  

School Name:                                 Morrison Tactical 
Location:                                         631 Old Union Rd. Church Hill, TN 37642

Primary Instructor:                        Buddy Morrison
HCP Class Cost:                            $100.00
http://www.morrisontacticaltraining.com/
Phone number:                              423-817-5649
Your Personal Experience:          Great Classes especially for beginners.  Instructors are very patient, and happy to help. 

• 1 month later...
Guest nhdjoseywales

School Name: RangeUSA
Primary Instructor: Chip Holland (but there are several)
HCP Class Cost: 75.00 (120.00 for two)
Phone number: 901-213-4774
Your Personal Experience: Awesome instructors are very informative and take the time for interaction. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Great personable atmosphere!

Totally Agree. I did HCP and Intermediate Handgun there and am taking more classes there soon. Have loved both my instructors and i came out of Intermediate a much better shooter than when i walked in a few hours earlier.

School Name:                                 Guy Personal Defense
187 Cutoff Rd or[/size]8697 Powell's Chapel Rd [/size]Murfreesboro, TN[/size]
Primary Instructor:                        Tim Guy
HCP Class Cost:                            $30 (truck says $40 but he charged me $30)
http://www.guysecuritytraining.com/Phone number:                              615-473-6493
Your Personal Experience:          The class was good. We drove to OK Coral though which was a quite a haul (but a cool range).  

I had the class on 11/2/13 with Tim Guy of Guy Personal Defense. My experience was exactly in line with the review above, so I will just add my personal experience.

I am a former gun safety instructor. Over the years, I have taken a similar class in a few different states including a previous TN class. This one had 26 people on a Saturday. Classroom information was covered thoroughly without being dry. Shooting was handled 5 shooters at a time, so it took a bit to work through all shooters. However, I think this was a benefit since shooters varied widely in experience level. Some needed more individual attention.

Tim delivers a good class and a good value. He really bends over backwards to make it a good experience. He also does some women-only classes if that is of interest.

Your Personal Experience: Awesome instructors are very informative and take the time for interaction. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Great personable atmosphere!

Let us NOT forget the RANGE USA location in Jackson! Mike is AWESOME!!

Edited by tnhandgun57
  • 1 month later...
Guest thetnchief

Church Hill Police Dept.

302 E. Main Blvd.

Church Hill, TN 37642

Primary Instructor:  Mark Johnson, Police Chief

HCP Class Cost:  $60.00

Phone number:  423.357.3487 (4)

Your Personal Experience:  High emphasis on handgun safety and legal issues.

• 5 months later...
Guest ChattownKA

School Name: Dodd & Associates Training
Location: 2107 Leggett Rd, Sale Creek, TN 37373 (CHATTANOOGA)
Primary Instructor: Ronny Dodd
HCP Class Cost: $75
Phone number: (423) 877-0399
Your Personal Experience:
 Great Guy and he knows his stuff. i highly recommend him. Below is his bio that can be found on his website.

Ronnie Dodd is a 24-year veteran of law enforcement with a wide-ranging background in 
training and operations and extensive experience in the tactical application of firearms. 
He has taught police tactics at the Kosovo Police Service School in Vuchtri, Kosovo and 
at Skopje, Macedonia, where he trained officers for the Macedonian National Police. Mr. 
Dodd was Head of Operational Policing for The Jordan International Police Training 
Center for the new Iraqi Police Service from its inception until April 05. 

Ronnie Dodd is nationally ranked in pistol competition and travels all over the United 
States teaching firearms techniques. He is an instructor certified to teach by the State of 
Tennessee, F.B.I., Heckler & Koch, U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, N.R.A., Orange 
County (FL) SWAT, Dept. of Justice -International Criminal Investigative Training 
Assistance Program and Organization Security Co-Operation of Europe (OSCE). He has 
served as an instructor for several nationally known training facilities and is currently 
working with Bill Rogers at Rogers Shooting School. He is a graduate of many 
specialized training programs, including but not limited to Gunsite, Bill Rogers Shooting 
School, Blackwater Training Center, Heckler & Koch, and the FBI Special Weapons 
Course. 

He is currently Operations Manager for Rogers Shooting School, and their lead 
Instructor, as well as owner operator of Dodd & Associates located in Sale Creek, TN
Edited by ChattownKA

PSA from the Better Business Bureau

Carrying Concealed Weapons Association - BBB Rating: F
(615) 869-8345– PO Box 11543, Murfreesboro, TN 37129

The Right to Bear Arms is one of our constitutional rights that many gun owners take to heart, and with owning a gun comes much responsibility.  Carrying Concealed Weapons Association offers services that could assist with knowing your rights and obligations as a gun owner, such as handgun carry permit seminars and manuals, ID pouches, travel guides, wallets and more, but before jumping too quickly to order that wallet for your gun permit, BBB has a warning for you.

Carrying Concealed Weapons has developed a pattern of complaint alleging failure of the company to deliver products that were paid for in advance. When trying to reach the company to resolve complaints directly, consumers indicate the company was unreachable. Looks like the only thing this company is good at is concealing its customer’s money and products.

• 1 year later...

Use This Format:

Pack 'N Heat
Hangar Lane @ Nashville Airport
Jeff Eady

$65
http://packnheat.net/
615.604-9159

Jeff currently works as a Law Enforcement Training Officer in Middle Tennessee. He is a Field Training Officer, SWAT entry team member, Defensive Tactics Instructor, Post Certified Firearms Instructor, Structural Firefighter, Aircraft Rescue Firefighter, Response to Lethal Threats Instructor, Officer Survival Instructor, Simunition Instructor, OC Spray Instructor, and Medical First Responder.

His class was fun and informative. I especially like the atmosphere. He kept it light and informal, but he was very professional and knowledgeable. On the day I took the class, there were only guys, so he let us shoot at the course where he trains officers for the Airport police. It was awesome, go to his site and check out the pics. There's a jet fuselage there where they practice entry drills.
Your Personal Experience: I too

+1  Jeff was a great instructor.  My class was held at Stones River Hunter Education Center.  We had men and women in the class.  One lady had never even held a gun before, and Jeff took the time to make sure she was comfortable before she went to the range.  He offered some suggestions to her about purchasing her first gun.  You can tell that Jeff enjoys what he does.  I would highly recommend this class to anyone.  My wife is planning to take the his class as well. 

Edited by Aeubanks794
  • Like 2

+1  Jeff was a great instructor.  My class was held at Stones River Hunter Education Center.  We had men and women in the class.  One lady had never even held a gun before, and Jeff took the time to make sure she was comfortable before she went to the range.  He offered some suggestions to her about purchasing her first gun.  You can tell that Jeff enjoys what he does.  I would highly recommend this class to anyone.  My wife is planning to take the his class as well. 

After the permit class, I took 4 advanced handgun training classes with Jeff at SRHEC. The last 2 times I had enough friends and co-workers join me that we were able to fill the class. I learned a lot and enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 1

I agree!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for lack of format as requested above. On an iPhone.

Highly recommend "Condition-1" in Franklin. Took the HCP class and it was excellent. Many other training classes too with special guest trainers. Google them if interested.
  • 4 months later...