TN Handgun Carry Permit Schools and Instructors

Excellent training, decent facility, they also have a women's only class taught by female instructors.

Rangemaster

2611 S. Mendenhall Road

Memphis, Tennessee 38115

(901) 370-5600 - Fax (901) 370-5699

Basic Personal Protection Course

The Basic Personal Protection Course may be the most useful and exciting class you’ll ever take. This introductory course provides hands-on training to ensure that our students become competent, law-abiding handgun-owners. The class is especially suited for men and women who are new shooters, but can be very informative to veteran shooters as well. Instruction includes:

• Informed handgun selection
  • Basic handgun usage
  • Firearm concealment
  • Proper maintenance
  • Safe storage
  • Legal responsibilities
  • Awareness tools
  • Protective tactics

Upon completion of this course you’ll receive the Certificate of Handgun Training required by the Tennessee Department of Safety as part of your application for your handgun carry permit.

Includes certificate, workbook, ammunition, range session, testing, safety glasses, hearing protection, and use of one of our firearms, if necessary.

Course Fee: $99. Eight hours of training - conducted over two four-hour sessions on consecutive days and once a month in a single block.

School Name: Chilhowee Rod & Gun Club

Primary Instructor: TBD

HCP Class Cost: $60

Phone number: Bill Aly 423-263-2806

Your Personal Experience: None -- I'm a member of the club. It's a private club about 5 miles south of Athens, with a clubhouse/classroom and pistol/rifle/skeet/archery ranges.

Edited by enfield

Kristen taught my son in a youth class before Christmas and my wife is taking the "Women Only" class on the 10th of January with Kristen. Clean, Christian atmosphere without the attitude of other local Memphis shops. I heard they were doing more classes than anyone else in Tennessee at one point. +1 to getting the fingerprinting done there too!

***Updated Info w/New Lower Prices***

School Name: HGR Firearms

Primary Instructor: Greg Knox/Len Assante/Danny Dunn

HCP Class Cost: (NRA Basic Pistol/TN Carry Permit Combo) $80.00 + range fee

Phone number: 615-364-4359 or 615-512-6297

Your Personal Experience:

I'm one of the instructors so I'm biased, but I've seen Greg and Len both out out of their way to make each class a fun learning experience no matter what the skill level of the student is.

Also offers a wide variety of other NRA-certified courses,including Personal Protection In/Out of Home, Armed Guard, Instructor training, etc. Greg is USA Special Forces (Green Beret) veteran and offers military discounts.

• 1 month later...
Guest Doodles

School Name: Kingsport Handgun Academy

Head Instructor: Terry Wexler

Instructor: Steve Lawson

Cost of Class: $70

Phone Number: 423-239-7380, 423-246-2030

terry_wexler@hotmail.com

slawson1@chartertn.net

Personal Experiernce: Terry is NRA certified as well as state and POST certified police insturctor. Steve is NRA and state certified.They bring many years of experience to class and makes your time an enjoyable and learning experience.

Edited by Doodles
  • 1 month later...
Guest kg4tyr

School Name: Southern Arms

Primary Instructor: Dan Thomas

HCP Class Cost: $65.00

Phone number: 865 932-1923

Your Personal Experience: Enjoyed the class and all participants (28 in class) Range is first rate and the owners are really great people. The instructor is knowledgeable and seemed to be up to date on all laws. My only problem was the amount of time spent in the classroom portion of the training (I realize this will be the same anywhere the class is taken). After 6-7 hours of sitting there, it took all of 4 minutes to complete the test and I could have passed it when I walked in the door that morning. I know it is required and some people need the info to pass the test but, it would be more fun on the range.:up:

Knox County Sherrifs Regional Trainning Academy

Senior Instructor Sgt. Mike Lett

Climate Controlled Indoor Range

Classes are 1 day (usually Saturdays) for 8 hrs

Snacks are included

Classes $85.00

Call for appointment and scheduling

865-573-5265

865-679-9870

865-659-6451

Please leave a message and a return phone #

School Name: Safety South

Primary Instructor: Bo Alexander, AKA BigPoppa

HCP Class Cost: $75

Phone number: (615) 566-9897

Your Personal Experience: Awesome class. This was my second HCP course and I learned a lot from Bo. This is a 2-day course because it goes above and beyond what the state requires. Bo and Chuck do a great job and if you need some extra one on one instruction, they will give it to you.

• 2 weeks later...

School Name: Safety South

Primary Instructor: Bo Alexander

HCP Class Cost: $75

Phone number: (615) 566-9897

Your Personal Experience: I attended their course this weekend and will recommend their professionalism and knowledge base to every person I meet. To those of you who want more than just the bare minimum of training, this weekend course is for you! Bo is exceptionally knowlegable in every area of firearms training and legality...even the pending legislation making its way through the House and Senate. Chuck is equally knowledgable and equipped to aid in your learning experience. Both provided excellent advice to improve the accuracy and comfort level of myself and my wife. I will be attending their Defensive Handgun Workshop later on this summer. You'll do alot more than watch a video,take a test ,and poke holes in paper with Safety South...and you'll be more adequately prepared for the real world by doing so!!!

Guest Bluemax

School Name Sevier Indoor Range

Location Sevierville Tn

Primary Instructor Mike Voncannon

Cost 65.00

Website www.sevierindoorrange.com

Phone# 865-774-6111

Personal Experience

I can't say enough good things about these folks. The facilities are first rate and very comfortable. Our class was very diverse containing both men and women of varying ages. Mike was very patient with us during both our classroom and range time. He even spent a few moments with us indivdually during our range time to offer pointers on our shooting stance and grip. We were also given a manual which not only outlined Tn laws and regulations governing carry permits but contained ballistic comparisons on various calibers. The booklet is very informative as it contains several reprints of articles on the subject including " The Myths of Gun Control" by Richard Poe

You won't go wrong with these folks, they are top notch

• 3 weeks later...
Knox County Sherrifs Regional Trainning Academy

Senior Instructor Sgt. Mike Lett

Climate Controlled Indoor Range

Classes are 1 day (usually Saturdays) for 8 hrs

Snacks are included

Classes $85.00

Call for appointment and scheduling

865-573-5265

865-679-9870

865-659-6451

Please leave a message and a return phone #

+1 - great facility, excellent learning atmosphere and instructor.

I recommend taking a sack lunch as the facility is about 10 or so minutes form any 'fast' food. (But I only live about 10 minutes away anyway).

• 1 month later...
Guest Synghyn

I read through the thread and unless I missed it, one hasn't been listed.

Can anyone recommend a good HCP location in or near Chattanooga? I've seen a couple around, and can certainly get to one, but I'd prefer to know what the quality of the class is. Any imput is appreciated.

Syn

there are many. Dodds and Associates, Fugatts Firearms (havent heard anything about this one, they run ads in the paper all the time), Carters Shooting Supply is where i took mine and i know there is a place on Hixson Pike up from the Krystal that does the class as well. there are probably others too. just wait for a few other TGO members to read and reply then you can make your own choice.

When i moved back to Tennessee, we lived in Chattanooga, I went to Carters Shooting Supply, in Harrison TN the owner's daughter was the instructor and I highly recommend this class, you should check them out very friendly down to earth knowledgeable people.

Guest Synghyn

Carter's is actually where we bought our gun about a month ago, folks in the shop were good. Wish they had warned me about the complete unavailability of .380 ammo, but that's not really their responsibility.

It's certainly one of the places at the top of the list at this point, but I just wanted to hear folks thoughts on some different shops/ranges. We have no shortage of HCP locations, that's for sure.

I'd hate to go to Carter's and find out there is a world class trainer right down the street :(. We're both new to Chattanooga gunshops, and handguns in general. I've shot quite a few, but haven't owned one for 10 years or so, and a long way from here.

Thanks for your thoughts so far, they are appreciated.

Syn

Guest RISC777
School Name: Small Arms Training School (S.A.T.S)

Primary Instructor: Jim Mauth

HCP Class Cost: $75.00

Phone number: 615-794-3333

Your Personal Experience: I highly recommend these folks. This was an eight hour (1 Day) course, split into two groups. While one group was watching the dreaded video, the other group was outside on the range. Somewhere around luch time (IIRC), the 2 groups would swap.

There were roughly 5 or 6 total instructors, and every one of them did their best to make the day as enjoyable as possible. There was no shortage of humor all day long. They made the 8 hour day seem like a breeze.

Again, I highly recommend these folks.

SATS

+1

Does any Instruction location in middle TN do the fingerprinting also?

mark, not that I know of. I went to a place in Columbia for mine. It was in an end of a school admin place.

Use This Format:

School Name: Fentress County Sheriff's Dept.

Location: Fentress County Courthouse, Jamestown, TN (range at Catoosa WMA)

Primary Instructor: Willie Upchurch

HCP Class Cost: $35.00

Phone number: (931)879-8142

Minimal class at minimal cost:

There will be a Handgun Carry Permit class held at the Fentress County Courthouse. This class in necessary to recieve your handgun permit. It is taught by certified personal with over 40 years of law enforcement experience. The cost is only $35, which includes the class and range. the courthouse address is 101 N. Smith St. call 931/879-8142 with any questions.
Taught monthly (more or less), with range the following week at Catoosa. The instructor is a retired game warden, and does share his experiences, not to mention his opinions! You're mostly on your own at the range, but if you need help, ask! Edited by ttocswob
Cost increase, added format
  • 3 months later...
Guest jjerik1202

School Name:franklin gun shops permit class

Primary Instructor dan Jerik or Don Ryan

HCP Class Cost: 110

Phone number: 615-599-5562

Your Personal Experience: like several on here im Dan one of the intructors so im kinda biased but we have had good feedback so far, class size is small 10ppl which leaves more room for 1 on 1 instruction. we shoot at the former owl hollow gun range in Spring Hill. both myself and Don are state and NRA certified, i myself have several years of handgun experience and have taken several defensive courses myself, as well as Don. we are also going to start offering an intermediate 1 day course within the next few months to continue with handgun training.

Edited by jjerik1202
School Name:

Primary Instructor: Brian Rutledge

HCP Class Cost: 75.00

Phone number: 931-993-6988

Brian is a first class instructor. With prior experience in Law Enforcement, USMC, and law (he is a Judicial Commissioner) Brian has a variety of life experience to draw from.

Very patient and humble, I would have no problem sending my best friend, wife, mother, or anyone else to Brian.

+2 for Brian.

My wife and I took his class in June on a Sunday. He kept the class entertaining and provided a lot of great information based on his experience in law enforcement, as a judicial commissioner and as a paramedic. Class is held at the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office (leave you firearm in your car). The range portion is about a quarter mile away at the Fayetteville City range.