TN Handgun Carry Permit Schools and Instructors

Guest HexHead
Does any Instruction location in middle TN do the fingerprinting also?

Guns & Leather does. But I believe the procedure now is to get them done after going to the DoS and submitting your paperwork. My wife took her class there and liked it a lot.

We went to the Springfield DoS office to submit her paperwork since the Nashville location didn't even have an empty spot in the parking lot. In/out of the Springfield office in under 20 minutes. Then a short drive to G&L to get her prints done.

I see the average price of the class has really come down since I took my class about 9 years ago. Pretty much everyone was $150+ back then. I was really lucky to have found a guy in Centerville that did them for $95.

• 4 weeks later...

Safety South

Murfreesboro tn

Bo Alexander

http://www.safetysouth.net

(615) 566-9897

I just took the Carry Permit class today. Very helpful for beginners. I've been shooting handguns for 15 years, and I definitely walked away with more skills. Bo takes it beyond state requirements. :D

Guest tnvolfan
Ehhh, I really don't mean to derail the topic, I'm sorry. However, I took their (Gunny's) HCP class, and I must say, it wasn't that great. The instructor was not up to date on all the laws and technicalities (to the point that he was teaching flat out incorrect info), and his firearm nomenclature wasn't exactly the best. He would dance around questions he didn't know and usually asked if someone else in the class knew the answer rather than answering it himself or directing them to someone who could answer it.

I was wondering if you addressed your problems with the someone at Gunnys afterwards, or even anonymously. I also have a family member who took their HCP class there, and they were very pleased. My only experience with them is using their indoor range, and that I also purchased a handgun from them. I've had no problems. Sorry that you have.

School Name:

Primary Instructor: Brian Rutledge

HCP Class Cost: 75.00

Phone number: 931-993-6988

Your Personal Experience:

Brian is a first class instructor. With prior experience in Law Enforcement, USMC, and law (he is a Judicial Commissioner) Brian has a variety of life experience to draw from.

Very patient and humble, I would have no problem sending my best friend, wife, mother, or anyone else to Brian.

+1 on above

Brian teaches a laid back class. But he is very informative. I learned a lot from his class.

And I bought my Glock from Hero-Gear in Winchester. Very good people and knowledgble staff.

• 2 months later...
Guest marionandjohn

School Name: Montgomery County Shooting Complex

Instructor: John Wall

Cost: $100

I understand the cost of this class was a little more than most however the instructor and the range guys are volunteers and all the money gets put back in to the range. If anyone has been there then you would know that it is already a great range and only getting better. Mr. Wall knew his stuff and was well hearsed in the local laws and gives you great things to ponder about after the class. I took the Class on Dec. 19 with a total of 9 students. We did have females in the class and he brought up ponder points for them. Mr. Wall even had loaner guns incase yours malfunctioned or if you were planning on sharing with someone. I have been carring for almost a year now (GA permit) and have been studing the laws for TN just as much. I did enjoy the class and fell it was worth the money knowing its being put back in the range. They do a class the 3rd sat of everymonth and its the same deal everytime.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blankman

School Name: Burns Polics Dept

Primary Instructor:Sergeant Tase Sturgill

HCP Class Cost: $45.00

Phone number:Carol @ 446-2851 to register.

Your Personal Experience: Awesome, knowledgeable instructor at a great price!:hyper:

Guest Phantom

Ive scrolled through this whole thread and notice nobody mentioned the HCP course at On Target in Murfreesboro.. Has anyone taken their class there?? And if so what'd you think??

Guest bkelm18
I was wondering if you addressed your problems with the someone at Gunnys afterwards, or even anonymously. I also have a family member who took their HCP class there, and they were very pleased. My only experience with them is using their indoor range, and that I also purchased a handgun from them. I've had no problems. Sorry that you have.

Yes I sent an email to the Gunny himself and pointed out the false info and provided links to the correct info. He said he'd look into it. Whether anything was done about it, I don't know.

Guest BBelle2010

School Name: Plateau Handgun Safety School

Primary Instructor: David Oakes

HCP Class Cost: $60

Phone number: 931-484-4532

Your Personal Experience: Took my handgun certification safety course here. I enjoyed the instructor and the whole experience very much. Felt the fee was very reasonable. They were friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. Would definitely recommend this instructor.

Edited by BBelle2010
School Name: Burns Polics Dept

Primary Instructor:Sergeant Tase Sturgill

HCP Class Cost: $45.00

Phone number:Carol @ 446-2851 to register.

Your Personal Experience: Awesome, knowledgeable instructor at a great price!:cool:

now this isnt bad at all! if i didnt have mine i'd take this calss

School Name: On Target

Primary Instructor: Doug

HCP Class Cost: $65 (They had a deal at gun show for $55)

Website: On Target Training Center, Inc. - Handgun Carry Permit Training - Knoxville, Tennessee

Phone: 865-242-4665

Your Personal Experience: Doug is an excellent instructor. Very informative, knows the law, and kept everything flowing at a steady pace. The 8 hours went by rather quick! The class is held at the John Sevier Hunter Education Center. You can bring your own gun or use a house gun. If you use their gun then you just pay for ammo. This is an outdoor range so dress appropriately. Also, I would recommend bringing a bag lunch.

School Name: Small Arms Training

Primary Instructor: Gene Sutton and Chris King

HCP Class Cost: $65

Phone number: Chris King 865-354-1056

Your Personal Experience: This is a great group of guys, that make you feel comfortable. They hold there class in the back room of Juniors Restaurant and shoot at the Rockwood PD range, which isn't anything more than a gravel parking area with 12 piece's of plywood nailed to some post. It's nothing fancy by any means, but it gets the job done! Notice the price was $55, starting in Jan. he is going up to $65 to cover the rise in his insurance cost, still one of the best deals out there.

JuniorsHandGunClass.jpg

+1 Great course for the money!

School Name: Terry Walden Gunsmith

Manchester, Tn 37355

Primary Instructor:Terry Walden

HCP Class Cost: $65.00

Phone number (931) 728-0223

Your Personal Experience: Very relaxed environment. I took the course two weeks before my wife. She was very nervous about going. After returning home she said she enjoyed it very much.

• Moderators

School Name: Security Academy & supply

Primary Instructor:Bill Howell

HCP Class Cost: $90 (they often run specials, we paid $45 each)

Phone number:(901) 542-9769

Your Personal Experience: Bill is personable and able to transmit information in a way that is fun without lessening the gravity of the subject matter. The class flowed in a manner that helped the mandatory 8 pass without dragging. The range is small yet I actually prefer it to some of the "nicer" ranges in town because the design of the dividers prevents any of your neighbor's casing from entering your lane and bouncing off your head.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent seen it listed so I will list it

School Name: Austin's TN Firearms School

Primary Instructor: Mike Crow (aka Phantom6)

HCP Class Cost: 110.00 for NRA Basic Pistol Practicum and HCP Class.

Phone number: 865-483-1108

Your Personal Experience: I took this course through Mike back in August of 09. He is a very knowledgeable instructor, has a good sense of humor and is good people all around. He was patient and understanding with newbies in the class room as well as on the range. I would recommend this class to anyone in the immediate area. It is well worth the money.

Guest uofmeet
School Name: RangeUSA

Primary Instructor: Chip Holland (but there are several)

HCP Class Cost: 75.00 (120.00 for two)

Phone number: 901-213-4774

Your Personal Experience: Awesome instructors are very informative and take the time for interaction. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Great personable atmosphere!

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but i went here and loved it. I had Chip and he was awesome. and when i went back to do fingerprinting, got some free range time also.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Overtaker

Safety South

Smyrna, TN

Instructor: Bo Alexander

Cost: $75

Safety South Training Systems, LLC

(615) 566-9897

The Safety South HCP course is a great value and I recommend it to anyone looking to take the permit course. Bo injected plenty of humor and interesting tidbits into the classroom session, making it fun for both new shooters and [thankfully] experienced ones alike. The instructors are very friendly and bring a wealth of experience to the course.

I had a good time and got a great value from Safety South. Their HCP course is a good one folks.

Price is now $100.00 + $20.00 range fee, includes all materials and chance to shoot a variety of handguns of different calibers. (The ammo for those is included in the price.) Course is one of the few in the area that teaches TN Carry Permit from the NRA Basic Pistol course.

School Name: HGR Firearms

Primary Instructor: Greg Knox/Len Assante/Danny Dunn

HCP Class Cost: (NRA Basic Pistol) $150.00

Phone number: 615-364-4359

II'm one of the instructors so I'm biased, but I've seen Greg and Len both out out of their way to make each class a fun learning experience no matter what the skill level of the student is.

• 1 month later...
Guest Glock23ForMe

School Name: The Gun Shop

Primary Instructor: Jim Carter

HCP Class Cost: $100

Phone number: 615-305-3653

Jim is an awesome guy. The class is at his house and he has a room upstairs that's the Man Cave of all Man Caves. He keeps all kinds of refreshments and drinks for your pleasure and teaches it where you, the student, will learn a lot. He teaches it pretty much everyday of the week, you just have to call him and set something up and he'll teach you if you're the only one for that day, except for single person Sundays, I believe. The range isn't just going out and popping off 48-50 rounds and going home. He teaches you practical aspects and moving and shooting and things that hopefully you never have to use, but if you do, you have been taught. He's extremely knowledgeable about any type of gun and an all around great guy. Honestly, if anyone that I knew lived around here and didn't go see Jim for their HCP, I would be extremely disappointed because he knows so much and is willing to teach you anything and everything. Great Guy, Great Class, GO HERE!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TnRebel

School Name: Gray Kennels & Security

Primary Instructor: Lester Riddle " Owner "

HCP Class Cost: $50.00

Phone number: 423-477-2810

Your Personal Experience: The class is first rate, they teach Armed and unArmed Guard, HCP and the Indoor range is great for bad weather shooting and its open to the public except the last weekend of the month when classes are in section. for $10.00

School Name: Knox County Sheriff's Handgun Carry Course

Primary Instructor: Sgt. Mike Lett

HCP Class Cost: $85.00

Phone number:

Your Personal Experience: Took this over the weekend with my fiance. Great information was provided in the course as related to use of force and basic firearm handling. There was no particular 'agenda' pushed about armed civilians like you occasionally read about on the internet, in fact they were very positive about armed civilians. Up to date and current on the changes in the law, including the current restaurant issue. The firing range is indoor and top notch. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to take a handgun carry class.

• 1 month later...
School Name: RangeUSA

Primary Instructor: Chip Holland (but there are several)

HCP Class Cost: 75.00 (120.00 for two)

Phone number: 901-213-4774

Your Personal Experience: Awesome instructors are very informative and take the time for interaction. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Great personable atmosphere!

Several places meet the requirements to get a permit, RangeUSA makes it fun!

I've read through the entire thread, and I've either missed these guys, or I'm the first (I'm guessing I missed them):

School Name: Guns and Leather

Primary Instructor: Mark...I've forgotten his last name

HCP Class Cost: $65

Phone: (615) 643-4865

My Personal Experience: Mark is awesome. He corrected all the falsehoods in that awful video, was up on current legislation, and was personable and entertaining, to boot. No tacticool stuff, no lectures on hardware, ammo, tactics, etc., and the G&L indoor range is very nice. Solid value.

Guest rsgillmd
Excellent training, decent facility, they also have a women's only class taught by female instructors.

Rangemaster

2611 S. Mendenhall Road

Memphis, Tennessee 38115

(901) 370-5600 - Fax (901) 370-5699

Basic Personal Protection Course

The Basic Personal Protection Course may be the most useful and exciting class you’ll ever take. This introductory course provides hands-on training to ensure that our students become competent, law-abiding handgun-owners. The class is especially suited for men and women who are new shooters, but can be very informative to veteran shooters as well. Instruction includes:

• Informed handgun selection
  • Basic handgun usage
  • Firearm concealment
  • Proper maintenance
  • Safe storage
  • Legal responsibilities
  • Awareness tools
  • Protective tactics

Upon completion of this course you’ll receive the Certificate of Handgun Training required by the Tennessee Department of Safety as part of your application for your handgun carry permit.

Includes certificate, workbook, ammunition, range session, testing, safety glasses, hearing protection, and use of one of our firearms, if necessary.

Course Fee: $99. Eight hours of training - conducted over two four-hour sessions on consecutive days and once a month in a single block.

I would second Range Master. I took my HCP class with them on the recommendation of a colleague. They took me from clueless/nervous to comfortable and busted several false preexisting beliefs. The lead instructor for my class was Cecil (I forget his last name). He works with the Sheriff's Department. He was good about answering questions, but still kept the class flowing. He also kept it lively, mixing in humor while discussing several possible real life scenarios/situations. The didactic portion was a combination of Cecil talking/discussing a topic and watching a video, I think by Tom Givens. The video provided the objective element, and Cecil provided the human element.

For the shooting portion of the class Cecil served as the range master. The class was divided into two groups -- one shooting, one sitting. When shooting there were enough instructors that you can essentially have one on one guidance/instruction if needed. I know I needed a lot of help on the first day and really appreciated that it was available. Steve Terelli, one of the instructors for the shooting portion, saw that the Glock was not the best fit for my hand and had me try a Springfield XD at the end of the class. I didn't realize the difference fit could make until I held the XD. Whether it was due to a better fitting handgun, less nervousness, or a combination, I don't know. However, I did shoot better on the second day.

So in summary, I definitely feel I got what I paid for. At the end of the class they offered a $50 discount on the level 2 class so I signed up for it. You just have to commit to the class -- you don't have to commit to a date. I took the class in February, but didn't pick a date until last week because I didn't have all of my gear. I will be taking their level 2 class in mid-June. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

If you guys are interested, their website address is RANGEMASTER - Proven techniques, tactics, and thinking for the real world.

Class information/schedule can be found in the left column on their website.

Hope this helped.