Looking To Buy A SKS

Personally, I'd avoid one that has been tacti-cooled.  Some of the mod's work, some are a disaster. 

The triggers are known to be somewhat heavy with lots of creep.  A home trigger job can result in an unsafe rifle.  It's relatively easy to check....  Unload the rifle.  Cock the rifle.  Bang the butt on the ground several times and verify the hammer doesn't fall.  Cock the rifle.  Remove the dust cover.  Pull the trigger while watching the hammer.  If it moves at all prior to falling, it should move rearward.  If it moves forward, that's bad.  Either problem is fixed relatively easily. 

Check for a stuck firing pin.  It should be free to move in the bolt (there's no spring).  A stuck firing pin can result in slam fires. 

Edited by peejman

Some tips on bubba parts:

I would avoid one with a scope mounted to the receiver cover (unless it comes with the original). I had one for a time, the fit seemed good but the scope would never hold zero. It also catches a lot of the force from the bolt flying back... it actually broke the windage off a leapers 3x9 i had on it. They make a buffer to stick in there, but.. meh.

The draganov style stocks are worthless. It moves the weight of the gun so far forward of your shoulder that you'll have to extend your other arm fully to hold it up. Not worth it.

Duckbill extended mags just make the gun heavy and impossible to shoot from prone without a bipod.

I got an adapter that allowed me to use AK47 magazines at one point, that worked well... but again, it was heavy and unwieldy.

At the end of the day it shot best in the original stock with the original parts. 

• Like 2

An SKS is a great rifle. Just get one in it's unabused, unbubbaed original condition, and you'll likely enjoy it. Unless you are a collector of military arms, a Norinco is a good one in my opinion.

They chamber inexpensive, easy to find ammunition. They are quite accurate, and reliable.

Edited by gregintenn
[quote name="patrickkntn69" post="1155150" timestamp="1401823657"]Once again thanks for the input I believe I will just stick with my AR.[/quote] Dont get me wrong, I like my sks. Its clunky and rattles like marbles in a tin can, but its reliable. If you like 7.62x39 maybe take a look at a saiga or an ak. They make an AR chambered for it as well but I hear they dont like steel ammo...and the brass stuff was pricey last I checked.

SKS are a fun rifle.  I use to call them a poor man's AK.  I respect them, rather have a AR platform.  20 years ago, you could buy one $39 retail, and these were early 1950s Chinese. 

I paid $189 for my Yugo in 2002. Ordered it through SOG magazine. My first gun in fact! I almost sold it not long ago seeing how much they had come up in value. But it's hard to let that first one go.......

I have an AR as well. I figure if SHTF I would just give my wife the AR and tote the SKS myself.

I paid $189 for my Yugo in 2002. Ordered it through SOG magazine. My first gun in fact! I almost sold it not long ago seeing how much they had come up in value. But it's hard to let that first one go.......

I have an AR as well. I figure if SHTF I would just give my wife the AR and tote the SKS myself.

SOG use to my source of SKS when I was FFL.  I use to order anywhere from 20-100 per order, 1x to 2x a month.  Oh, how I miss that!