Texas open-carry gun groups threaten to leave NRA

Good to see Negotiating Rights Away did the right thing and backpedaled on this one.

Officially standing by these cretins is tantamount to "negotiating our rights away".

Campaigns are not necessarily won with brute frontal assaults, especially in the PR wars.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The news media really dislikes guns for the most part.  These guys in Texas are making all responsible gun owners look bad to the general public that watches the news.  Good luck getting any improvements in carry laws when these fools are put on TV.  The minute a pro gun group say tries to legalize carry in schools for licensees, you will see images of these idiots on TV.   

Just e-mailed NRA a copy of the article along with my comments.  As a life member my dues aren't at risk but my donations sure are.  I fully support our right to carry open or concealed as allowed by the laws but I can't support deliberate confrontations with companies and individuals that were, at least tolerant and at best supportive of these rights.  I don't agree with the Texas law but it's their state and their laws.  I can't see any upside to NRA pandering to this and spreading the negative perceptions nationwide.

We'll have to agree to disagree...  I've seen what a lot of the protesters in TX are doing, and I commend them.  Now, I'm sure there are some idiots running around just like we have here...  but I honestly think open carry of firearms is a good thing, and does help the cause...  it might shock the sheeple some, but they'll get use to it and their level of concern will go down.

Just remember, it's bad laws in TX that allow you to open carry a rifle, but prohibit open carry of a handgun that are causing this mess...  otherwise these 'protesters' would be carry handguns to these events.

Officially standing by these cretins is tantamount to "negotiating our rights away".

Campaigns are not necessarily won with brute frontal assaults, especially in the PR wars.

- OS

• Like 1

The people will never get used to seeing goobers walking around with "assault rifles".  Ever.  Not gonna happen.

It is indeed the absurd laws in Texas causing this problem.  If they do not start allowing open carry of handguns I firmly believe they will outlaw the open carrying of rifles if these shenanigans continue.

• Like 1

The NRA is probably right this time. Sometimes the best way to preserve our gun rights is to not rub the other sides noses in it.

Yes and no.  I think both sides have very valid points.   Scaring people is bad, and making businesses (like the recent chipotle incident) close their doors to guns is bad.  However I also think the occasional, well organized and carefully orchestrated visual "in your face"  "protest" or "rally" is a good thing too.  The trouble is, people go all dumbass on these, and fail to do the background and legwork required to "get it right". 

You want to do an AR/AK visual "protest/rally" thingy?  Some ideas...

- how about making sure the "host" knows about it and is willing to allow it...!

- how about making sure the general public knows about it as well, at least a little in advance, so those who want can stay away and the curious can have a listen?

- how about informing local LEOs of the "event", allowing them to help out or just be "present" -- work with them.

- keep it calm and informative as to our stance. 

and those are just the most basic starters, there are probably 10 or 20 more things that need doing/enforcing to have a smooth, peaceful, informative demonstration.  Yea, sure, someone will still be offended, but if the public was warned in advance, the police are there, and so on, there will be LESS panic and confusion amongst the sheep.  No one wants to stagger out of bed, head over to the XYZ to buy something, and encounter 50 people dressed in camo and armed with rifles without any warning.  Even *I* don't want to run into something like that.   If I knew it was gonna be there, though, I could join in or avoid it as I see fit. 

Edited by Jonnin

The people will never get used to seeing goobers walking around with "assault rifles".  Ever.  Not gonna happen.

It is indeed the absurd laws in Texas causing this problem.  If they do not start allowing open carry of handguns I firmly believe they will outlaw the open carrying of rifles if these shenanigans continue.

I also think that's where this is heading.  Along with public statements that we "don't bring our guns" from Target, Walmart, Publix, Krogers, Big Lots, Home Depot, Lowes, McDonalds, Burger King, . . . Pretty much every place Moms Demand Action snaps a pic of somebody sporting an AK/AR variant in the check-out line.  Which seems to be fashionable these days.  I'm getting my AR duracoated in purple tiger stripe for this very purpose since I'm a Prince fan and all. :cool:

A public relations expert would probably label this "Nightmare Scenario # 243."  With Nightmare Scenario # 242 having been the Catholic Church's handling of child molestation charges.

It's a good way to lose political support on a national level while, simultaneously, making an excellent point about 2nd Amendment rights. 

The people will never get used to seeing goobers walking around with "assault rifles".  Ever.  Not gonna happen. ...

Yah, I agree that's pretty much a given. Even in Texas, most folks in populated areas are never gonna just shrug off an AR or AK just slung over the shoulder, let alone held in the hands. Not anywhere else in the US either.

Might as well try to educate folks that walking around naked shouldn't be out of the ordinary, nothing to see here. Right. 

But the big diff is that the firearm elicits real fear for personal safety, especially when toted by folks who look scuzzy in the first place.

- OS

Personally, I think the NRA shouldn't have said anything about it in the first place, and certainly shouldn't have called the TXOC group a bunch of weirdos. They gave MDA even more ammo against gun owners with their first statement. If the NRA just had to say something, it should have been about safety/trigger cover/muzzle control issues when carrying rifles, and suggesting that gun owners carry in a safer manner. 

Edited by Q-tip

...Just remember, it's bad laws in TX that allow you to open carry a rifle, but prohibit open carry of a handgun that are causing this mess...  otherwise these 'protesters' would be carry handguns to these events.

And if that's the case, and I'm not disagreeing that it is, then the real WORK of getting the laws changed will be by engaging in the political process.

It's easy to carry an AR or AK into a restaurant to have a confrontation and get on the news but damn hard and a lot of work to actually engage in the process so real improvements can be made.

Guest GT_Rat

At the rate they're going by the time they get open carry law changed in TX all the private businesses will have prohibited carry on their premises. Pyrrhic victory anyone?

We'll have to agree to disagree...  I've seen what a lot of the protesters in TX are doing, and I commend them.  Now, I'm sure there are some idiots running around just like we have here...  but I honestly think open carry of firearms is a good thing, and does help the cause...  it might shock the sheeple some, but they'll get use to it and their level of concern will go down.

Just remember, it's bad laws in TX that allow you to open carry a rifle, but prohibit open carry of a handgun that are causing this mess...  otherwise these 'protesters' would be carry handguns to these events.

While I think you are in left field, I respect you for being consistent.  I can't say the same for some others.  Some who are condemning these rifle open carry types have previously griped that we should fight for the rights of all who carry, no matter the method or manner.  These TX rifle guys are no different than those who carry handguns openly. 

[quote name="deerslayer" post="1155902" timestamp="1402020928"]While I think you are in left field, I respect you for being consistent. I can't say the same for some others. Some who are condemning these rifle open carry types have previously griped that we should fight for the rights of all who carry, no matter the method or manner. These TX rifle guys are no different than those who carry handguns openly. [/quote] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="deerslayer" post="1155902" timestamp="1402020928"] These TX rifle guys are no different than those who carry handguns openly. [/quote] Yes they are. They aim to intimidate. There is no question of that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I agree with most everything posted here. With that being said...I was considered extreme and maybe not normal by the NRA and probably by 90% of gun owners 25 years ago because of the evil black rifles that I owned.  NRA and the elmer fudds threw me under the bus out without thinking twice years ago.

I was uncool before it was cool to be uncool.  :)

Edited by Static_USMC

While I think you are in left field, I respect you for being consistent.  I can't say the same for some others.  Some who are condemning these rifle open carry types have previously griped that we should fight for the rights of all who carry, no matter the method or manner.  These TX rifle guys are no different than those who carry handguns openly. 

There is a big difference in handgun OC and rifle OC. Most people don't OC handguns to make a scene. If they did, there would be thousands of Youtube vids on it instead of a few dozen. Handgun carry is safer in nature because of how the gun is secured to the body, the trigger is protected, and the muzzle is always pointed downwards. It's also perceived better by the public. Only die-hard anti's will throw a fit about an OCed handgun, but even gun owners will rail on an OCed rifle. 

Not trying to stir anything up, but I have seen this many times in Wyoming.  Obviously ranchers and trappers aren't doing it to make a political statement.  It wasn't uncommon to see 3 or 4 guys sitting in a cafe in Pindale or Riverton with a couple carbines setting next to them.  No one ever looked twice, other than maybe tourist. 

It all comes down to ones intent and the public perception of their intent. 

Again poor execution of exercising rights,  but, I bet if someone was planning on robbing smash burger that day, they changed their mind.

Edited by Static_USMC
  • Like 2

I'd be happy to show you hundreds of youtube videos where the police freak out over an open carried handgun.  They treat it the exact same way...  and in TX if you open carry a handgun you go to jail.

There is a big difference in handgun OC and rifle OC. Most people don't OC handguns to make a scene. If they did, there would be thousands of Youtube vids on it instead of a few dozen. Handgun carry is safer in nature because of how the gun is secured to the body, the trigger is protected, and the muzzle is always pointed downwards. It's also perceived better by the public. Only die-hard anti's will throw a fit about an OCed handgun, but even gun owners will rail on an OCed rifle. 

• Like 1
[quote name="JayC" post="1156859" timestamp="1402321599"]I'd be happy to show you hundreds of youtube videos where the police freak out over an open carried handgun. They treat it the exact same way... and in TX if you open carry a handgun you go to jail.[/quote] Freak out or just question folks? I've seen many of these videos and the vast majority are folks who bait LE so they can record the encounter while they argue with LE about what their rights are. Sometimes they get lucky and get a cop that isn't well versed on the law. I would be interested to see all the encounters that don't get posted, because the cop simply didn't care. I watched 4 CPD officers having lunch at a Chinese buffet with an OCer sitting only a few tables away. They most certainly noticed his firearm. None of them approached or even seemed to care. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freak out or just question folks? I've seen many of these videos and the vast majority are folks who bait LE so they can record the encounter while they argue with LE about what their rights are. Sometimes they get lucky and get a cop that isn't well versed on the law. I would be interested to see all the encounters that don't get posted, because the cop simply didn't care. I watched 4 CPD officers having lunch at a Chinese buffet with an OCer sitting only a few tables away. They most certainly noticed his firearm. None of them approached or even seemed to care. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some folks will eat their own poop to get on TV.

Well, thing is they have made their point and by law they are totally legal to carry their long guns to a store to shop or a food joint to eat.  This has been going on for a month almost and no one has been shot in Texas as far as i can tell. I have not heard ay facts as to whether any of the food joints have actually barred them from entering the business to eat of any stores told them they cannot come in and shop. If I am wrong please let me know. in all honesty I think this will eventually fade away because many of them will get tired of taking a rifle everywhere they go to eat and shop. They have like I said proven their point and now it is up to the Texas Legislature to look at the laws and see if they can fix it. To date I have not heard one word out of Governor Perry or any of their legislators on this issue. Maybe we will hear soon.............jmho