Gun dealers in TN?

Guest cynical brit

Guest cynical brit

Hi all, first post, and it's taken me a while to find the right place to ask this question after trawling google for hours trying to answer my question.

Basically I'll be heading over to the States in a couple of months, and while I'm there want to look at getting a replacement barrel for my Remi 870 magnum. Almost impossible to get the barrels in England. I see ebay is literally swimming in them, but nobody is willing to post to the UK for some reason.

I'll be staying in Pigeon Forge, is there anywhere local that would stock such barrels? Or could you recommend someone to go that would stock them? New or second hand doesn't bother me, just looking for a 28" or 30" barrel with interchangeable chokes (remchoke I believe it's called?)

Cheers in advance for any help! 

Guest cynical brit

Why Pigeon forge of all places?

Girlfriends parents own a cabin there and let us have the place to ourselves for a week. Would have been rude not to really :D

At one time BassPro in Sevierville had them.

You may also check J. Floyd's. as well. They may not have one in stock but they might be able to get you one before you leave.

Bass Pro Shop

3629 Outdoor Sportsman Pl, Kodak, TN 37764

(865) 932-5600

J. Floyd's Golf and Gun

539 Winfield Dunn Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37876

(865) 453-5010

Edited by TnShooter83
Guest cynical brit

Thanks all for the replies, been running around like a blue arsed fly so didn't get time to sit down and reply to this thread. Plenty of options open to me and looks like there's lots of places to inquire about it. Far too much here to quote every person!

I've got no problems importing one, already gone through all the relevant people, all I have to do when I come back into the UK is go through customs and declare it showing my shotgun license. Customs have already been informed of my flight so there will be someone in the red channel waiting for me.

Careful guys, something just dont feel right about this.

Just my $0.02

Yes be afraid...I'm hell bent in conquering the world blowing 12g spitballs from a loose barrel at anyone that tries to stop me  :shrug:

There's absolutely nothing sinister here, it's just the Remington brand isn't very big in the UK, I don't even think there is a UK distributor at the moment as Edgar Brothers let the franchise go. Barrels for this gun are literally as rare as rocking horse ####, and it breaks my heart when I look at the US ebay and see the place is flooded with them  :(  

I use the 870 for wildfowling, and putting steel 40gram 2's through 1/2 choke is a bit too much, which is why I want to get one with interchangeable chokes so I can still use 1/2 for pigeons/crows and put something like a 1/4 for duck/goose.

Edit: Here is the email conversation with customs if anyone is interested/bothered.

Dear Mr,

As Mr Smiles stated if you can provide details of the date and flight of your arrival I will notify the relevant Red Channel Officer to expect you so that you do not need to hang around waiting for someone to come from another area as we don't always man the Red Channel and passengers needing assistance often have to use the Red Channel phone to contact someone to attend. If the officers know which flight and time you are arriving they will be awaiting to facilitate you through our controls and this can save a good deal of time clearing through Customs Controls. If you have any issues or concerns regarding your arrival into LHR in respect of UK Border Force please do not hesitate to ask and I will endeavour to assist you.

Kind Regards,
Dorothy Watson
Higher Officer

Outdoors Division
Custom House | Nettleton Road | London Heathrow Airport | Hounslow | Middlesex | TW6 2LA
Tel: +44 (0)20-3014-5652
Fax: +44 (0)20-3014-5818

-----Original Message-----
From: Smiles Roy (ITEC) [mailto:Roy.Smiles@bis.gsi.gov.uk] On Behalf Of Import Licensing Branch Enquiry Point (. E) IMLB01
Sent: 15 May 2014 15:46
To: 
Cc: Watson Dorothy (Border Force)
Subject: RE: Import License Required?

Ben

Thanks. I have copied Dorothy Watson of UK Border Agency at Heathrow Airport in on this e-mail as she will be able to offer further guidance to you. She will be able to pass on all relevant information on to her colleagues and this will enable a smoother transition through customs.

Regards

Roy Smiles | Import Licensing Branch | Department for Business, Innovation and Skills |
Queensway House | West Precinct | Billingham | TS23 2NF | enquiries.ilb@bis.gsi.gov.uk | | Fax: 01642 364269 | www.gov.uk

Sent: 15 May 2014 15:40
To: Import Licensing Branch Enquiry Point (. E) IMLB01
Subject: Re: Import License Required?

Thank you for the swift reply.

I will be flying into Heathrow on either the 20th or 21st of August.
Can't 100% remember the date off the top of my head.

Thanks,

Ben

On 15/05/2014 15:34, Import Licensing Branch Enquiry Point (. E) IMLB01
wrote:

Dear Mr

You will be permitted to import the barrel yourself provided that you declare it to customs and present your Shotgun Certificate when you do so. Please can you confirm which airport you will be arriving back in the UK?

Regards

Roy Smiles | Import Licensing Branch | Department for Business,
Innovation and Skills | Queensway House | West Precinct | Billingham |
TS23 2NF | enquiries.ilb@bis.gsi.gov.uk | | Fax: 01642 364269 |
www.gov.uk

Sent: 15 May 2014 15:22
To: Import Licensing Branch Enquiry Point (. E) IMLB01
Subject: Import License Required?

Hello, was given your department details regarding something I'm intending to import in August and customs wasn't sure if I'd need to apply for an import license.

I'll be travelling over to America for a holiday, but while out there wanted to purchase a shotgun barrel as they are near impossible to obtain in the UK for my particular gun. I have a full shotgun license, and it's a standard barrel I'll be looking to purchase (nothing illegal such as rifled/too short).

Will this be fine to just bring in through customs and declare it along with my shotgun license, or will an additional import license be required?

Many thanks,

Edited by cynical brit
Guest cynical brit

Wow so rifled shotgun barrels are illegal in GB? Can you own rifled slugs? 

Laws are really, really tight on guns over here. Hand guns are totally illegal, even to the extent that the British shooting squad has to travel to Switzerland to train with their .22 free pistols... :D

Rifled slugs are a big no no for shotgun certificate, although you can get a firearms certificate and then you can buy slugs or something like that. Got a feeling SSG is the biggest you're allowed to use on a shotgun certificate. It's a minefield, and I don't really know that much about firearms licenses, and quite honestly there's loads of different variations of that. Put it this way if you want an AIR RIFLE over 12ft/lbs you need a FAC and they're not easy to get :D

Look here to see how tight the laws are: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262215/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v6_Nov_2013.pdf

Sounds depressing.  Be sure to meet up with some ppl to try out anything you can't do over there.   Get some trigger time on a pistol or modern rifle, perhaps, if you are interested.   TN is a decent state and most things can be found to play with if you ask around.   Ive had a lot of fun with the VW folks,  showing them a few from my collection. 

• Like 1
[quote name="Garufa" post="1155547" timestamp="1401925140"]How's that? You reckon he's a spy trying to figure out how to bust the international Hillbilly shotgun barrel cartel?[/quote] Five minutes later and I'm still laughing over that one....Thanks I needed that.
Guest cynical brit

Now there's some offers I won't be able to refuse, thanks a lot! 

I was already looking at local(ish) ranges and Sevierville has a pistol range. Would be absolutely awesome to try some "proper" guns :D

Struggling to find any public clay shooting grounds though, as the girlfriend loves it as much as me thought I'd try and find somewhere we can enjoy ourselves.

Now there's some offers I won't be able to refuse, thanks a lot! 

I was already looking at local(ish) ranges and Sevierville has a pistol range. Would be absolutely awesome to try some "proper" guns :D

Struggling to find any public clay shooting grounds though, as the girlfriend loves it as much as me thought I'd try and find somewhere we can enjoy ourselves.

Clay targets near where you'll be...  

http://www.gatlinburgsportsman.com/#!skeet/c1oc5

http://www.chilhoweesportsmansclub.com/