HK VP9 - might have to give this striker fired thing another try

hlb14

I placed an order with them yesterday. It's shipped already and should here Wednesday...can't wait!

Congrats! This was the first firearm I've ordered from CDNN, and I was impressed with the ease of the transaction (they had Bill's Outpost's FFL on file) and how fast they shipped.

I want to give one of these a try.  I really liked the P30s... except for the lackluster trigger.  Getting a good trigger on striker-fired gun is really easy... 

And the "ears" on the rear of the slide are brilliant... a loooong overdue idea. 

Edited by dcloudy777

This pistol looks very promising. The internet has been abuzz about this pistol since the info was released yesterday. I think I will give one a try.

BTW, sell your Glocks now boys and girls, while you still can get something for them.  :pleased:

Costs a lot more than a Glock, but doesn't seem to do a lot more. I can hit a 20 ounce coke bottle from about 30 yards with my G19, plenty accurate for handgun use. Hell, I hit a coke can from 15 yards with an LCP, most firearms seem to be a lot more accurate than the shooter. I don't even consider myself to be a great shot, there are plenty of people that can do better.

They cost about 10% more than a glock (~$50). They have a better trigger (arguable) and certainly a more customizable grip. To each their own. I suspect they will come down in price. I really like mine.

Hmm, one guy quoted $719, new Glocks are around $500, but I haven't checked the price in awhile. I like all guns, and you can't go wrong with any handgun from any of the major manufacturers out there, but a Glock is a simple tool that works. I just like simple, no frills gear. 

$719 is the VP9's msrp. Not sure what the going street price is, haven't seen one in the wild yet, but they can be found online for around $600.

Haters are always gonna hate I guess Edited by hlb14

$719 is the VP9's msrp. Not sure what the going street price is, haven't seen one in the wild yet, but they can be found online for around $600.

Haters are always gonna hate I guess

I don't hate it or care. I don't look at 2 different hammers and not like one. Guns to me are tools, I get the best one I can for the least amount of money. HK are good weapons, but they have failed tests that Glock passed. I just don't see the point in paying more for a weapon that performs similarly. 

Any handgun from any major manufacturer is fine and will get the job done. They are all accurate enough and reasonably reliable. 

Gotta be careful not to fall into the greed and consumerism trap that many people in this country have. 

I don't hate it or care. I don't look at 2 different hammers and not like one. Guns to me are tools, I get the best one I can for the least amount of money. HK are good weapons, but they have failed tests that Glock passed. I just don't see the point in paying more for a weapon that performs similarly. 

Any handgun from any major manufacturer is fine and will get the job done. They are all accurate enough and reasonably reliable. 

Gotta be careful not to fall into the greed and consumerism trap that many people in this country have. 

If you don't realize  what the VP9 offers over a Glock, then I won't be able to enlighten you.

But I can help you with the cost aspect, because the VP9 is actually cheaper than a Glock. 

I got my VP9 for $587.50 out the door, that included the TICS fee as well. 

So by the time you replace the barrel, slide release, mag release, put a butt plug in it, and change the sights on a Glock, you will be out well over $587.

And we haven't even got to the trigger yet. 

Additionally, even with all of the above modifications to a Glock, it still will not be the equal of the VP9; however it will cost more than a VP9.

• Like 1

If you don't realize  what the VP9 offers over a Glock, then I won't be able to enlighten you.

But I can help you with the cost aspect, because the VP9 is actually cheaper than a Glock. 

I got my VP9 for $587.50 out the door, that included the TICS fee as well. 

So by the time you replace the barrel, slide release, mag release, put a butt plug in it, and change the sights on a Glock, you will be out well over $587.

And we haven't even got to the trigger yet. 

Additionally, even with all of the above modifications to a Glock, it still will not be the equal of the VP9; however it will cost more than a VP9.

All those mods on a Glock are optional, I've owned 2 and never bought any accessories for them, and they were fine. Nothing wrong with the trigger either. 

For the slide "release", you grip the slide and pull back and let go to do a reload anyways, not pressing that button. Same with sights, you only need them for aimed shots, for close range, you will be moving and point shooting anyways. You should be able to make center mass hits out to 7 yards without using sights. 

Nothing wrong with the barrel, either, unless you shoot lead bullets, which I haven't seen in years. 

It's pretty much the equal, because when it comes down to it, it is more than accurate enough to hit someone at whatever range you need for a handgun.

Glocks don't need any of the modifications you mentioned, they are fine straight out of the box. If you really want a butt plug for it, shove a wad of duct tape in there. This goes back to the consumerism thing, people buy something, including a gun, then think they need to purchase a bunch of accessories for it. I've owned a few firearms over the years, and all of them were perfectly fine straight out of the box.

The reliability doesn't need to be mentioned. I don't hate H&K, they make some beautiful, functional weapons. But being more accurate, if it is, isn't necessarily useful in a handgun. My friend has a Kimber he paid 2k for. It'll shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards, it is a fun weapon to shoot, we pick off empty shotgun shells with it at the range. But, the extra accuracy isn't needed for a handgun, so the money is almost wasted. Every factory handgun I have shot is more than accurate enough to make fight stopping hits at any range you would care to use it at.

Edited by ab28

Do tell?

I pre-ordered it through one of the HK dealers on the HK forum 2 months ago. He is maxed out now, no longer taking orders. 

It was $550 shipped, the other $37.50 was transfer fee and TICS.

I think the price on these will settle around $500 to 550 after the initial rush on them is over.

• Like 1

So, it's pretty well a push between a g19 and a vp9...unless you hate the glock grip angle, which I do.

Picking what you shoot best and are most comfortable with is probably the most important factor in picking a handgun. 

Well, someone just transferred one in. About the size of a Glock 17 with the capacity of a 19. :shrug:  Trigger was ok; nothing close to PPQ quality. It is new, so I'd give it a break in period. Probably smooth out after a while.

Wait; the PPQ is awesome out of the box. Never mind.

I believe I'll pass. :snore:

• Like 2

Any of you with guns in hand able to compare it to the P30?

It's pretty much a striker fired P30.  The P30's grip texture is a bit more abrasive, and the slide is a little taller.  P30 doesn't have the slide racking "ears" towards the back.  Quality wise, despite the lower price, the VP9 seems to be every bit an HK.  No corners have been cut.   The P30's  slide release rattle has been eliminated.  The VP9 takes the same mags and sights as the P30, so there's some accessory compatibility there.  Most P30 holsters do not seem to fit the VP9.

The trigger on the VP9 is much better than both the LEM and V3 versions of the P30.  The VP9 trigger is lighter and breaks further forward, with less take-up and shorter reset.  

• Like 1