Carry options for use while running/exercising

My wife carries an 3" 1911 and wants some advice on the best way(s) to carry while running or exercising. We were thinking a belly band or carry shirt type thing. She's open to pretty much any method as long as it's on her person. I'm convinced she needs an XD-S .45 for this type situation...but she's not quite on board with that just yet. She wants to stick with her 1911. Your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

• Like 2

I got one of these for my wife... http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-2-concealment-holster/

Honestly, she doesn't seem to like it a whole lot but she hasn't worn it a lot either.  She says it's very comfortable but concealment leaves something to be desired with her Shield.  I will say I've had a hard time convincing her to wear it low, almost like the SmaryCarry holster.  She takes the term "belly band" literally and wants it up higher around her natural waist.  It's pretty obvious when worn there.  It seems to be best for a tall slender build.  My wife is 5'3". 

Hill People Gear Kit Bags - OUTSTANDING piece of gear.  

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/KitBags/tabid/922/Default.aspx

I was going to say the same thing.  Sounds like the Runner's Bag would be a good fit.  With this, not only could your wife carry the 1911 you mentioned, but an extra mag, keys, cell phone and quite a few other things.

I own a multicam Recon Bag (essentially a Runner's Bag with PALS/MOLLE on the front) and added the elastic stabilizing strap.  It's just about perfect.

The Hill brothers have a great company.  Buy with confidence.

Edited by Spurholder

Gone... 

I like the Nate Squared (...N82...) holster... Link here: https://www.n82tactical.com/holster-options

I've got an "original" and it works like a charm... The deal is that they need a belt to pull them against the body a bit... It's very comfortable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg... I carry my Glock 33 and a Sig 238 in an "original"... It costs about $40....

I also really like the Hill People Kit Bag... It's a helluva idea... Tools hidden in plain sight...

leroy

Gone... 

I like the Nate Squared (...N82...) holster... Link here: https://www.n82tactical.com/holster-options

I've got an "original" and it works like a charm... The deal is that they need a belt to pull them against the body a bit... It's very comfortable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg... I carry my Glock 33 and a Sig 238 in an "original"... It costs about $40....

I also really like the Hill People Kit Bag... It's a helluva idea... Tools hidden in plain sight...

leroy

That's a pretty good looking holster as well!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

For others looking, I personally bought a PistolWear PT-2 awhile back for my Sig P239. I liked that it kept sweat away from my gun but I didn't like how hard it was to access the gun and I found it hard to find a spot where it didn't look painfully obvious I was wearing what is essentially a fanny pack under my shirt/pants.

I've since switched to a generic belly band with a Ruger LCP. It disappears at the cost of the gun being covered in sweat after running. That will probably be the case with any belly band if the gun isn't fully encased.

• 4 months later...
Guest gunner2286

I bought my mom a belly band for excercising.  She likes to jog around her apartment complex.  I got her's from https://www.daltechforce.com.  As far as carry shirts, I've had some personal experience with trying to run in them and there is way too much bounce in my opinion they just aren't secure enough.  The Daltech belly bands can be custom ordered with a bunch of different options I just got her an extra mag pocket but they make them without to I think.  I know my mom washes hers pretty often in the machine and it has held up for a year or so now jogging almost daily.

• 10 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! She ended up going with the PistolWear rig. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Yes, please do!

Not only would I like to get a similar product for my wife, I jog occasionally, and worry about the 'bounce' as well.

I was going to say the same thing.  Sounds like the Runner's Bag would be a good fit.  With this, not only could your wife carry the 1911 you mentioned, but an extra mag, keys, cell phone and quite a few other things.

I own a multicam Recon Bag (essentially a Runner's Bag with PALS/MOLLE on the front) and added the elastic stabilizing strap.  It's just about perfect.

The Hill brothers have a great company.  Buy with confidence.

Like the bag, but it screams GUN. They need colors not military related.

I jog occasionally, and worry about the 'bounce' as well.

I have tried several methods and the only way to minimize bounce is to minimize the weight of the weapon. A Ruger LCP is perfect as a work-out carry.

Edited by JReedEsq

Yep, and PSA has them now for $199

Hmmm... and I was just talking to a holster-manuf. who turned down a sale to me suggesting I get a pocket-carry .380 for the summer!

And the wife's having trouble limp-wristing the 9mm LC9s

And it's Christmas!

It's like someone's trying to give me a sign or something?

-K

There is a technique to avoid limp wristing.  You can probably find a youtube video on how to do it. It's necessary with almost all the LCP-sized handguns.

It starts with a basic two hand grip. Then, you pull towards your body with the weak hand and push back with the trigger hand to prevent the gun from moving. The isometric movement "locks" the wrists and prevents limp wristing.  It looks like a normal grip, but the push-pull interaction is what prevents the gun from moving when fired and thus prevents limp wristing.

EDITED:  I didn't find a good video on avoiding limp wristing on youtube.  I did look at a half dozen or so. 

Edited again:  It's not just the grip. You can grip the gun really tight and still have a limp wrist malfunction. 

Edited by jgradyc