Cousin killed a 175lb Mountain Lion

A cat the size of the one in that picture going 175lbs you can almost bet it didn't get that big eating eating Prairie Dogs and Chipmunks and deer are not as easy to catch as a young calf would be so with not knowing the big cats diet I'm not going to judge if the cat was a nuisance or not but will make a nice rug for fireplace mat and i am sure if he locates a family or two of orientals they will be more than glad to have the meat..............jmho

OK, prepared to be dropped from the board for "evil" comments but...

Did he eat the meat?  Was this cat a known problem for ranchers?  Had it eaten a child? 

Trophy hunting is in such POOR taste.

Fire away but you know it's true!!!

To each his own.

What gives you the moral standing to criticize someone else's hobby?  Who made you the arbiter of taste?

Agreed with Enfield, and for what its worth, I'm not a hunter at all of any kind. The thing that most people don't seem to think about in regards to trophy hunting is that the object is to go for trophy animals. Trophy animal is another way of saying old animal. When animals get old it means two things;

1. They have done their job. They have contributed to the gene pool, helped balance the population of their prey/food, and are in their last years.

2. Old animals die. In nature death is ugly, typically brought on by infection, starvation, or "removal" via younger/aggressive/mating members of the population. One thing is guaranteed, it's not going to be pleasant or pretty. Most likely much more unpleasant than being harvested.

I used to have a dislike for the idea of trophy hunting, then I talked to some trophy hunters and read a book on trophy deer, it opened my eyes.
  • Like 2

i am sure if he locates a family or two of orientals they will be more than glad to have the meat..............jmho

:Shake: :slap: :stick: :rofl:

Psst, Bersa, they're called Asian these days, and I don't think over met one in America with the taste for cat. :rofl: you're behind the times.
They are predators, with no enemy to combat them except us any more. I don't like killing anything that I won't eat either, however predators are different. If the wolf population was where it would need to be to keep the balance that would be one thing but it's not.

I lived in California for 4 years and there were frequent cat attacks on joggers. Once I was in the forest and came across some fresh tracks and heard the cat close by, think he was looking for a cheesesteak? Me neither. It is what it is and we have to do what we have to do. Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1

OK, prepared to be dropped from the board for "evil" comments but...

Did he eat the meat?  Was this cat a known problem for ranchers?  Had it eaten a child? 

Trophy hunting is in such POOR taste.

Fire away but you know it's true!!! 

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's poor taste but I see where you are coming from. Every time I think I want to go hunting I realize that I have no desire to kill something just because I can. I have no moral objections to others doing it though. 

Regardless of this animals past history I have no problems with him killing it. It's probably not something I would do though just because I think they are awesome animals.

Congrats to your cousin...nice cat. Just curious, will your cousin sell the hide, or have him mounted? What would a hide like that bring?

I cannot answer those questions. He's a distant cousin(my mom at 17 siblings, I have over 100 cousins). 

OK... harvesting generally is a process of gathering food....

Trophy hunting, I guess I'll have to read the book...

Guess I'll have to live with the conservationist hat for the mean time....

I CERTAINLY respect everyone's right to legally hunt...

But, harvesting makes a lot of sense to me... trophy, in my opinion, nah

:shake: :slap: :stick: :rofl:

Psst, Bersa, they're called Asian these days, and I don't think over met one in America with the taste for cat. :rofl: you're behind the times.

Sorry Nick but I grew up calling the Chinese and Japanese orientals and their elders will still tell you they are from  the Orient and not from Asia because neither one of them want to be connected to Koreans or TAI countries like Cambodia Vietnam or Thailand. and they still eat cat but cannot serve it in their restaurants and quit hitting me or I will get out my............... :taser:

• Like 1

OK... harvesting generally is a process of gathering food....

Trophy hunting, I guess I'll have to read the book...

Guess I'll have to live with the conservationist hat for the mean time....

I CERTAINLY respect everyone's right to legally hunt...

But, harvesting makes a lot of sense to me... trophy, in my opinion, nah

If you are going to harvest for population control and food it is always wisest to take the oldest and the largest of the species so  most likely it will end up being a trophy.

• Like 1

Sorry Nick but I grew up calling the Chinese and Japanese orientals and their elders will still tell you they are from  the Orient and not from Asia because neither one of them want to be connected to Koreans or TAI countries like Cambodia Vietnam or Thailand. and they still eat cat but cannot serve it in their restaurants and quit hitting me or I will get out my............... :taser:

:rofl: I'm only teasing ya, I think they were still Oriental when I was a young kid, or I just spent a lot of time with grandpa that might be coloring my memories. He was a great guy, couldn't pronounce the word Italian to save his life, came out like Eye-talian and I've caught myself saying that way from time to time. He also referred to Asians as Orientals long after it "changed", I've caught myself doing that too. ;)

Agreed with Enfield, and for what its worth, I'm not a hunter at all of any kind. The thing that most people don't seem to think about in regards to trophy hunting is that the object is to go for trophy animals. Trophy animal is another way of saying old animal. When animals get old it means two things;

1. They have done their job. They have contributed to the gene pool, helped balance the population of their prey/food, and are in their last years.

2. Old animals die. In nature death is ugly, typically brought on by infection, starvation, or "removal" via younger/aggressive/mating members of the population. One thing is guaranteed, it's not going to be pleasant or pretty. Most likely much more unpleasant than being harvested.

I used to have a dislike for the idea of trophy hunting, then I talked to some trophy hunters and read a book on trophy deer, it opened my eyes.

Very well stated. I wish I could be so articulate. :up:

Damn Erik! When I first read the title, I was under the impression a mountain lion killed your cousin! I was relieved to open the thread. Dyslexic I may be. :squint:

Edited by gregintenn

I can't say for sure but it looks like they used dogs ( like the one in the picture)

These dogs typically tree the cat. The cat wants nothing more to do with the dogs. It has no intentions of coming down to attack you or the dogs.

There for a bow is sufficient to kill the cat. So the .223 no doubt has what it take to kill a treed cat.

and YES, I've seen a cat just like that one killed with a bow. Not in person but in video. My cousin as well killed a cat and yes, it was with a bow.

Yes, it was a guide hunt.

Now I got that out of the way. I agree that if you place the shot right even a cat on the ground can be killed "safely" with a .223.

And last but certainly not least. NICE CAT. Tell your cousin congrats. 

Edited by TnShooter83

This^ is the best way of explaining it as I have found. It generally creates an "ah-ha" moment with the anti trophy hunter crowd unless they have just made their mind up and have decided that even when faced with a perfectly logical they are going to stick to their way of thinking. I rarely hunt for anything that i'm not going to eat unless it's a predator but certainly have no problem with those that do. I would not have a problem taking a trophy animal for just the reason you've highlighted Trickynicky but I don't typically have the opportunity to do so. 

Guest Lester Weevils

These dogs typically tree the cat. The cat wants nothing more to do with the dogs. It has no intentions of coming down to attack you or the dogs.

There for a bow is sufficient to kill the cat. So the .223 no doubt has what it take to kill a treed cat.

Pretty much ends the debate in my mind as to whether .223 can be used on hogs.

I'm a complete idjit on hunting, always was. When attending high school in valdosta in the 1960's, the local farm boys would hunt hog and tell me about it. I never went along to watch. That was way before hog hunting was kewl or ted turner ever bought a big hawg hunting estate down in them parts.

I just recall that they would use shotgun slugs, and they made sure to be purt close to a tree to climb. And it wasn't unknown that they would have to climb a tree. The pine trees down there in them parts don't hardly have any limbs lower than 10 or 20 feet, so I always imagined that a feller would have to be real motivated to climb a tree like that. :)

Just wondering, hunting hawgs with a .223, maybe the human would be the one who ends up a tree?

This^ is the best way of explaining it as I have found. It generally creates an "ah-ha" moment with the anti trophy hunter crowd unless they have just made their mind up and have decided that even when faced with a perfectly logical they are going to stick to their way of thinking. I rarely hunt for anything that i'm not going to eat unless it's a predator but certainly have no problem with those that do. I would not have a problem taking a trophy animal for just the reason you've highlighted Trickynicky but I don't typically have the opportunity to do so.

I was skeptical on it for a long time. There was a Far Side comic with a bear drinking peacfully out of a creek and a hunter taking AIM from behind a tree. The next panel showed the hunter at home in his den reading a book on his chair with the bear standing stuffed in a corner looking mean and ready to attack.

That about summed up my thoughts on predator hunting as well. Keep in mind I grew up in a suburb where livestock was rare and predators who would take livestock were even rarer. The worst we had was a few cats going missing. :rolleyes: it wasn't until my late teens that I learned that predator hunting served a purpose beyond killing stuff. Now its one of the few forms of hunting I have any interest in participating in.

poor kitty. Only thing that should be hunted is human

Yes because slaughter houses are so much better. :rolleyes:
If it makes ya feel any better, I'd bet poor kitty has done some purt savage things to poor Mr. Bunny and about anything else slower/ weaker than him. ;)

Regulated hunting may be distasteful to some, but the population HAS to be managed with ever dwindling wildlife habitats. If you want to cast a stone, look at developers , not wildlife population control experts , aka hunters.
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1159662" timestamp="1402964432"]Yes because slaughter houses are so much better. :rolleyes: [/quote] That's why I go to the store where the meat is made. That way no animals have to die. I also dabble in cannibalism. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ummm. What? You do realize hunting is about the only population control a lot of species have now right? You think the problems with road kill and predators harrassing live stock are bad now, try it after a couple of years of nobody hunting.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

Yes because slaughter houses are so much better. :rolleyes:
If it makes ya feel any better, I'd bet poor kitty has done some purt savage things to poor Mr. Bunny and about anything else slower/ weaker than him. ;)

Regulated hunting may be distasteful to some, but the population HAS to be managed with ever dwindling wildlife habitats. If you want to cast a stone, look at developers , not wildlife population control experts , aka hunters.

That's why I go to the store where the meat is made. That way no animals have to die. I also dabble in cannibalism. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ummm. What? You do realize hunting is about the only population control a lot of species have now right? You think the problems with road kill and predators harrassing live stock are bad now, try it after a couple of years of nobody hunting.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

aa.jpg

• Like 2