S&W Shield 9mm or Glock 19

Cpeg

I'm goin to buy my first handgun soon and I can't decide between a S&W Shield or a Glock 19. Since I plan on carrying it a lot I don't know which to go with. I'm 6'3 250lbs so I know I can conceal both easily and I'm leaning towards appendix carry. I'm just torn between the two. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Sounds very similar. I am 6' 3" and 250 pounds also. I also love both guns and am in the market for a Shield 9. I carry a Gen 3 Glock 19 though. I would say for a first gun I would go with the Glock. And I can't really back that up except for it is more versatile if it is gonna be your first and it's reliability of course. It is more suiatable for home defense. I have a 33 round mag that gets put in at night before I go to bed for a "bump in the night" situation. But also you can take into account your soon to be attained duty gun can take on that role so any one would be good. I was in LE for a while. Sound just like me. You wouldn't happen to be 27 and drive a Jeep too huh? :P Edited by glowdotGlock

Also I'm in school to be a police officer, hopefully I'll be hired within the next year or two. Do departments look down on HCP holding applicants?

I would sa the majority of applicants have HCP and no I don't think they look negatively towards them. The chances of you going to a department in TN using a 40S&W Glock is so great you would be wise to get a Glock 22 or 23 in 40S&W. Take my word that it is smart to have an extra gun similar to your department gun. Not to mention the fact that you will probably be given a crap load of department ammo and mags. If you go to a small department or put yourself through a police academy you will use your own weapon for duty. You will be one of only a handful using a Glock in 9mm in the entire state.
I own M&P’s in various sizes. As a former Police Officer I would recommend that you get whatever the department you want to work at carries. The Shield is a good carry weapon, but it’s not a duty or target weapon. If you can only afford one right now I would recommend a full size M&P in .40.

I don’t know why a department would care one way or the other about an HCP, but different people doing the selection on different departments sometimes have their own ideas about things. That’s why it’s good to find a contact in the department you want to work (preferably someone that’s been there a long time) for and get the inside scoop.
Just picked up a shield myself and love it. I'm torn though as I've hade both. The glock platform would probably be what you end up carrying on duty however the shield is my favorite carry gun I've ever owned. Just a matter of compromise really. For carry though id go with the shield. After all they are similar platforms. Point and shoot.

depends on weather you wants a double stack or single stack

I prefer the slimmer single stacks no matter what the brand myself because they are easier to carry for me

and I dont feel I need 15 rounds to defend my self on a day to day basis so I prefer not to carry the extra weight 

In my opinion M&P's are fine weapons and I would have no concerns about utilizing one for a duty weapon. The only thing to consider is building a holster collection, mag collection(you will need 5 for the academy), and the difficulty of becoming familiar with more than one weapon platform. You will notice that Glocks are used a duty weapons among about 60% of agencies in TN. Sigs are used by about 20% of them and M&P's are probably about 5%.

Where do you want to work? We will try to find out their duty weapon. PM me if you do not want everyone to know.

I think if your probably going to be carrying a glock as a duty gun in the near future, a 19 or better yet a 23, makes really good sense.

But I would also try them both out if at all possible, shooting them would be much better than just holding them.

Lastly, lots of gun folk agree everyone should have at least one glock, and lots recommend the g19/23 because of its versatility.

Best part is, you can't really go wrong with either.

Wish you were closer to me, I'd happily let you try out my G19 and Shield.

As far as the choice for first gun, especially in light of your possibly going into LE; I definitely would suggest going with the Glock platform. For all the reasons the guys have stated, and that for a first and only gun, you really want something with all the ease of maintenance and versatility of the Glock.

Although I personally would opt for the 9mm, I have had a 23 in 40 and it is a fine weapon. And since the LE community seems to favor the 40, that would be my pick for you.

Now I do like my Shield, and it is a fine carry piece, but for all around use under your outlined conditions....go Glock.

You're really comparing apples and oranges here.  The G19 is a significantly larger gun, and thus is going to be much easier for you to shoot well. The S&W M&P Compact is a closer analog to the G19 than the Shield (but even it is a bit smaller).  

Your first step needs to be to find a range where you can rent some different gun types and shoot them.  You'll find out very quickly what you like and what you don't.

The dept's in the Memphis area will give you a weapon. The 19 and the shield are my favorite carry guns. I carry a 23 on duty because my dept issues .40 ammo and I can't turn down free ammo. That said, I would carry a 19 on duty and not feel undergunned. As far as HCP's, I don't think any dept would be against you having one. My dept regs actually state that the dept "prefers" you to obtain a HCP.
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the Shield for now then get the 19 during the winter. I'm not to concerned with the duty weapon part since all the departments in my area issue your weapon and most issue sigs.

Thanks guys for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the Shield for now then get the 19 during the winter. I'm not to concerned with the duty weapon part since all the departments in my area issue your weapon and most issue sigs.

The good thing about your problem is that you only have two right answers!

Well, you can not go wrong with a Shield in either 9 or 40.  In fact I believe they shoot every bit as well as a compact Glock. It will make a great backup and off duty gun.

While most departments issue duty weapons it is very wise to have an extra duty weapon.  Besides the best way to get hired is to already be POST certified and you will end up having to use your own weapon in the academy before you get hired. If you switch departments you can carry that extra, personally owned duty weapon with you that you are qualified on and start work quicker.  Some smaller departments it may take them a month or more to get you qualified on their weapon.  You also never know when your agency weapon may need to go in for service or in worst case scenario get taken or stolen(I have seen this happen too often).

I would buy the Shield and keep some money set aside to buy a duplicate to my duty weapon or something similar to serve as. A duty weapon(a compact version of issued dug weapon).