S&W Shield 9mm or Glock 19

Cpeg

[quote name="Patton" post="1156195" timestamp="1402097124"] Besides the best way to get hired is to already be POST certified and you will end up having to use your own weapon in the academy before you get hired. If you switch departments you can carry that extra, personally owned duty weapon with you that you are qualified on and start work quicker. Some smaller departments it may take them a month or more to get you qualified on their weapon. ).[/quote] Unfortunately this is not an option in West TN. You have to be hired first. I know there is a community college in middle/east TN that runs an independent academy.

Isn't there a requirement to own both? Stop slacking off. :)

Very true ! They are two awesome pistols ! Even though I hate roll-pins , the Shield is NICE . The Shield's thinness and reliability is a strong point. The Glock's strong point is , well , the whole gun ! It can be disassembled and reassembled with a nail or pen or pencil . I mean COMPLETE disasemby , not just field stripping. 

• Like 1

I wish I could get both but I'm a broke college student.

Glock all the way if you are a broke college dude. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. The shield is great but the Glock rules. I'd try and get a Gen 3 or Gen 2 . Get a used one and then study a video on youtube on how to disasemble the GLock all the way . You'll love it !!!!!!

My first pistol was a 3rd gen glock 23( and I still have it). I was advised by a friend on the Tullahoma PD what to get. I still love my glock, but had to have something smaller for sumer carry.

So I have a Shield 9mm for summer carry. Love both, am more accurate with the shield, but the fiancee likes the glock better( but no, she don't like the safety on the glocks).

If I were you, I'd go with a G22 or G23 as most PD's are using .40 cal ammo anyways. You can probably find a used g22 or g23 first, then go for a shield for later on.

I would say a 2nd gen police trade in Glock 22 from Centerfire Systems, or JGsales, would be just right for a broke college student. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]

I wish I could get both but I'm a broke college student.

A G19 is a better first handgun, carry gun, duty gun, and also can (with little effort) be a great CCW gun.  I carry a G19 year round (when I'm not carrying a G17, that is).

Shields are great, and make for a superb second gun. 

Put another way - if I could only own one handgun, it would be a Glock 19.

Nothing wrong with a G19 but why not go with a G23 if you are wanting to be a police officer? We don't have a single LE agency in Tennessee using 9mm. There are only a few agencies in TN that will allow you to carry a 9mm. Some do not even allow 9mm off duty or for a BUG. Several departments around here will give you as much 40 ammo as you want. A friend trades his .40 ammo for .45 ammo with a neighboring county officer who gets .45 ammo. He has to buy his own 9mm ammo since the only way he can get rid of the .40 ammo is to trade with another officer. If you went somewhere using .357 Sig (very likely in TN) you can just drop in a barrel.

The only 9mm I own is a Shield(other than one of my grandpa's guns). In law enforcement around here it just doesn't pay to own a 9mm like it does a more common service caliber like 40/357/45 in TN. In fact I can buy .40 cheaper through law enforcement supply channels than 9mm there or at Walmart. If you did have to buy any of your own service caliber it will be a tax deduction if you itemize. Edited by Patton

Nothing wrong with a G19 but why not go with a G23 if you are wanting to be a police officer? We don't have a single LE agency in Tennessee using 9mm. There are only a few agencies in TN that will allow you to carry a 9mm. Some do not even allow 9mm off duty or for a BUG. Several departments around here will give you as much 40 ammo as you want. A friend trades his .40 ammo for .45 ammo with a neighboring county officer who gets .45 ammo. He has to buy his own 9mm ammo since the only way he can get rid of the .40 ammo is to fade with another officer. If you went somewhere using .357 Sig (very likely in TN) you can just drop in a barrel.

The only 9mm I own is a Shield(other than one of my grandpas guns). In law enforcement around here it just doesn't pay to own a 9mm like it does a more common service caliber like 40/357/45 in TN. In fact I can buy .40 cheaper through law enforcement supply channels than 9mm there or at Walmart. If you did have to buy any of your own service caliber it will be a tax deduction if you itemize.

If he gets hired by a department that gives him .40S&W ammo, they'll likely issue him a gun that shoots it as well. 

If he's spending his own money, the 9mm is the better choice.

• Like 1

If he gets hired by a department that gives him .40S&W ammo, they'll likely issue him a gun that shoots it as well. 

If he's spending his own money, the 9mm is the better choice.

If he is at a department that gives him .40 ammo why would he want a 9mm.

If it were me I would buy a Shield because they can be found for less than $410 OTD now. When he gets hired or is in the Academy he can get a new Glock for as cheap as $430 OTD(Blue label plus tax, no TICS fee for LE).
[quote name="Patton" post="1156973" timestamp="1402339980"] If it were me I would buy a Shield because they can be found for less than $410 OTD now. When he gets hired or is in the Academy he can get a new Glock for as cheap as $430 OTD(Blue label plus tax, no TICS fee for LE).[/quote] This sounds like the best idea. I recently bought a blue label glock. I didn't realize how easy it is, even with having to get it shipped.

LEO-priced S&W Shields can also be had for as little as $335.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=LEMI

Thanks, I looked for and never found a S&W LEO dealer. I was told that S&W was trying to do all of their own LE sales. I wonder how much shipping would be on one of the Shields?

Actually, these guys are not true Blue Label LE distributors but I think what they call Blue Label Dealers. This is why the Glocks are $425 instead of $398. Blue Label Shields are $309 for Law Enforcement if you can find a distributor. Edited by Patton

Thanks, I looked for and never found a S&W LEO dealer. I was told that S&W was trying to do all of their own LE sales. I wonder how much shipping would be on one of the Shields?

Actually, these guys are not true Blue Label LE distributors but I think what they call Blue Label Dealers. This is why the Glocks are $425 instead of $398. Blue Label Shields are $309 for Law Enforcement if you can find a distributor.

That's some good info - thanks!

Guest glock2723@gmail.com
Not biased owned and shot both guns. I actually carry a 45 acp 1911 daily. I think the glock is a better gun than the shield. More accurate and durable Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk