Puleo's Knoxville

The first Puleo's in the area opened near the Strawberry Plains exit back when I was still the branch manager of the Carter branch library.  I went there a few times - the first time it was great.  When we went back a few months later, it was not very good and the service was bad.  Gave them another chance a couple months after that and saw no improvement so swore off of Puleo's for a long time.  Eventually, they opened the locations in Maryville (Alcoa?) and Knoxville.  I have been to those a couple of times each and had good experiences.  I haven't been back to the original one (haven't worked in that area for several years.)

Yeah, their shrimp and grits are pretty darned good.  Not the best I have ever had but darned good.

I was duly impressed with the service as well as the food quality, selection
and portions. Maybe I was lucky I don't know. Being a water or unsweet tea drinker my glass was never empty, the server was a pro, not annoying with baby talk or pushing deserts. Even left the check when we were done eating. The whole experience was phenomenal. I went to the one by merchants in Knoxville. I was apprehensive at first kind of eyeing outback but the ol lady spotted it and there we were.

As most of us will bust out a bad place or person, I just had to give kudos on this one. Being well travelled I put this place on my top 10 in the us until proven different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Well there always has to be that guy that comes in and poops on a thread, I'll be that guy for this thread.  I've eaten at several different Puleo's, I've found their food to be mediocre and their prices to be quite high.  Service has been so-so.  One in Alcoa seems to stay empty, O'Charleys and  Texas Roadhouse next door will be packed and there will be 3 cars in the Puleo's parking lot.

Well there always has to be that guy that comes in and poops on a thread, I'll be that guy for this thread.  I've eaten at several different Puleo's, I've found their food to be mediocre and their prices to be quite high.  Service has been so-so.  One in Alcoa seems to stay empty, O'Charleys and  Texas Roadhouse next door will be packed and there will be 3 cars in the Puleo's parking lot.

Hey no worries, sometimes its a timing thing or luck. Comparing Puleo's to Mortons Steakhouse here in town, Id still take Puleos based on that last experience. All in all it doesnt take much for an eatery to nose dive. Mortons is supposed to be the bomb but last time I went it just sucked, food was waffle house comparable, and this was before they booted the cancer patient out......I think the pricing is why u saw what u saw, reasonable so! but thanks!

• Like 1

I am a simple guy, if I am going out to eat, and I want to spend a penny, I go to Texas Roadhouse. Every time. I have eaten steak all over the country and Texas Roadhouse is the most consistent 'best' steak. I don't even bother looking anymore, if I want steak, I find a Texas Roadhouse wherever I am in.

My brother, however likes to eat at different places. Puleo's was one that he liked to mix it up with. He loves their prime rib. So every couple of months I would find my backside warming a seat at their Cedar Bluff location. Never had a complaint, was rather fond of their Shrimp and Grits, as mentioned a time or two above.

If you're in driving distance of the 'Boro, we've got about a zillion places to eat here! We run the gamut from dedicated burger places like Red Robin up through top line steak and seafood places...then there's another zillion fast food places! Hungry? We've probably got it somewhere in Murfreesboro...and for the most part, the prices are pretty reasonable. Heck, come by "The Avenue"...Belk's parking lot on Friday night , and see lots of classic cars presented by The Murfreesboro Hot Rod Club. A Friday evening for the whole family. They even sell food there too!

All you guys that like Puleo's shrimp and grits need to visit the low country and see what real shrimp and grits tastes like. Not saying Puleo's is bad, it's quite good, but shrimp fresh off the boat, yellow corn grits, and some andouille sausage... That's where it's at.
  • Like 2

You must have eaten there the same nights I did. 2 chances, bad food and horrible service. They are now crossed off the list

If you're in driving distance of the 'Boro, we've got about a zillion places to eat here! We run the gamut from dedicated burger places like Red Robin up through top line steak and seafood places...then there's another zillion fast food places! Hungry? We've probably got it somewhere in Murfreesboro...and for the most part, the prices are pretty reasonable.

We were just joking to ourselves the other day at the office, seems Murfreesboro has turned into mostly used car lots, restaurants, and beginning to be the mattress store capital of the south.... LOL