LG101 Pictures!!!

I will say this, my Pro Tech knives all hold the edge better than my ZT knives, so in my opinion the CPM154 is pretty damn good steel as they are wickedly sharp as well

I only have 2 knives with 154. Neither has been used. I'm just going by what I've read. 154 is cheaper. We are probably splitting hairs anyway, when it comes to better blade steels. I'm not gonna be killin' any Taliban with this knife anyway.

Not sure it's valid to compare across brands though, since the manufacturers control heat treatment (biggie). My money says that our friend at Pro Tech is gonna recommend the D2. That may have even been a Les call

154 is a true stainless.  D2 is semi stainless and will most certainly rust.  However, that really isn't an issue with these since they are coated.  

Right. I'm like Leroy... gimme the carbon. If I let my knives rust, I deserve what I get. :)

• Like 1
Here is the answer from Dave

Steven -

I have not updated our website in a while, sorry if I didn't mention it somewhere in our discussions about this knife and the blade steel.

A lot of customers like satin or stonewash blades and the tool steel is not really compatible with those finishes. So we will switch back and forth between different production groups.
The first run was D2 / this current production run is 154 stainless. Both TOP quality Crucible USA made blade steels.

The stainless allows for more finish options. The CPM powdered 154 material is actually more expensive than the D2 steel per pound, but we kept the pricing the same.

Thanks,

Dave
  • Like 2

Here is the answer from Dave

Steven -

I have not updated our website in a while, sorry if I didn't mention it somewhere in our discussions about this knife and the blade steel.

A lot of customers like satin or stonewash blades and the tool steel is not really compatible with those finishes. So we will switch back and forth between different production groups.
The first run was D2 / this current production run is 154 stainless. Both TOP quality Crucible USA made blade steels.

The stainless allows for more finish options. The CPM powdered 154 material is actually more expensive than the D2 steel per pound, but we kept the pricing the same.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you very much, I didn't doubt the quality details like that just nag at me. Since I posted the question I have been doing a lot of reading on it including Crucible's web site. My Pro-Teck Monaco is 154CM, and takes a wicked edge. The CPM154 is suppose to be the same steel except it's made with Crucible's powdered steel process making it finer grained and can get a bit harder in heat treatment. BTW I just repeating what I have read, no expert here. Thank you for taking the time to ask, and thanks to Dave for taking the time to answer.

Joe W.   

Edited by bronco302
  • Like 1

Well soon enough you all will have them, he shipped them Today!!!

This is great news, very glad to hear it. You know you've set all this up, you're going to take the shipment repackage it, redistribute it including special attention to those of us who ask for our pick of serial numbers. This is just a job and I have say again THANK YOU.

Joe W.

P.S. And fielded all our questions.

Edited by bronco302
  • Like 1
I must admit that I don't know anything about knives, blades, steel or knife sharpening, but I thought that these knives were an excellent idea. So, thanks to Willis and the TGO staff for making it happen. I am looking forward to future runs and something smaller that I can carry in my office. Great job guys!
  • Like 2

I must admit that I don't know anything about knives, blades, steel or knife sharpening, but I thought that these knives were an excellent idea. So, thanks to Willis and the TGO staff for making it happen. I am looking forward to future runs and something smaller that I can carry in my office. Great job guys!

Honestly, I think you will want to carry this one in your office, the Rockeye makes an excellent carry knife

Yup.  The clip is on the other side.  And the great thing about these is that they are a standard emerson style three hole clip.  Which means you have options for customization!  

Do you like skulls or crosses?  Dog paws or lions?  Steel flame has you covered with some badass clips.  

http://steelflame.com/knife-clips/

And I think Les George even has some stamped clips (much cheaper) that have his dagger logo on them.  You could contact him about getting one. 

My customization option will be none, at those prices.  I'd prefer to put those $ to another knife.

Honestly, I think you will want to carry this one in your office, the Rockeye makes an excellent carry knife

With a gun, holster, extra mag, flashlight, wallet, keys, and a phone what an extra couple of ounces?  :rofl:

My wife laughs every day when I "unload".

• Like 2

With a gun, holster, extra mag, flashlight, wallet, keys, and a phone what an extra couple of ounces?  :rofl:

My wife laughs every day when I "unload".

Gun, spare mags (2x M9 15 rounders), keys, knife, light, wallet, toothpick knife, screwdriver set, some other assorted junk.  Couple ounces doesn't matter.

My customization option will be none, at those prices.  I'd prefer to put those $ to another knife.

I understand that.  But thats only one company.  And steel flame merch is well worth what they charge.  But they do have heavy discounts if you know where to look.  Their show prices were way below what is on their site. 

[quote name="gjohnsoniv" post="1158109" timestamp="1402596199"]Gun, spare mags (2x M9 15 rounders), keys, knife, light, wallet, toothpick knife, screwdriver set, some other assorted junk. Couple ounces doesn't matter.[/quote] If I carried all that where would I put my candy bars and gummi bears? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm limited to a two inch at my job. At the moment I'm reduced to parking on the street, locking my pistol in a safe and carrying a two inch blade. On my trek to my building I carry two Spyderco Tenacious knives and a Surefire E2D. The TGO knives will definitely be carried when I'm not working.
  • Like 1

I'm limited to a two inch at my job. At the moment I'm reduced to parking on the street, locking my pistol in a safe and carrying a two inch blade. On my trek to my building I carry two Spyderco Tenacious knives and a Surefire E2D. The TGO knives will definitely be carried when I'm not working.

That sucks.  You need a ProTech Runt.  

• Like 1