.22 1911

RC3

Finally caved in and decided to buy a .22. What is the best and least expensive .22 1911 you  can find. I know best and least expensive dont go well together, but I want something to start plinkling with. And I am sorry, but I am set on it being a 1911.

Is suggest a Ruger 22/45 as well. If you're can come to terms with the fact that it won't look like a 1911, you'll be getting a gun that lasts a lifetime and a half, is very accurate, and will make anything that fits in its chamber go bang. If your looking for a lifetime rimfire companion that you can use for everything to tin can plinking on up to competitive shooting, go Ruger, if you just want to have fun and plunk a bit, the GSG fits the bill.
  • Like 2

I have a Ruger 22/45 feels like a 45 in my hand and after I did the mods, it is easy to take apart and clean and it has eaten every brand of ammo I feed it.

what is the point of taking it apart and cleaning it?  Don't see myself ever doing that, a second time.

• Like 5

Says it has a threaded barrel, but doesn't stick out past end of the slide, how do you screw anything on to it?

You have to get an adaptor. The GSG and the Sig 1911-22 are the same except for the slide and some markings. My Sig 1911-22 is my go to suppressor host for my 22 can. The GSG for $200 is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

what is the point of taking it apart and cleaning it?  Don't see myself ever doing that, a second time.

Because I keep all my guns clean and check for wear. That my thing and have done it for 40 years. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks ;)
  • Like 1

Is suggest a Ruger 22/45 as well. If you're can come to terms with the fact that it won't look like a 1911, you'll be getting a gun that lasts a lifetime and a half, is very accurate, and will make anything that fits in its chamber go bang. If your looking for a lifetime rimfire companion that you can use for everything to tin can plinking on up to competitive shooting, go Ruger, if you just want to have fun and plunk a bit, the GSG fits the bill.

As the owner of both the Ruger 22/45, and the GSG; I'd have to agree with TrickyNicky. Both are fun. But for dependability, accuracy, quality construction and materials; go with the Ruger.

And why does it have to be a 1911 for the 22? Why not a Glock with a conversion kit. Even a P220 with a kit?

And as far as a Colt, I had a Colt Ace for years. It was fun to look at, but a pita to shoot. Undependable and had to be scrupulously clean to function. Maybe a good match gun(maybe), but for a range toy or a just fun shooter...no.

I've done it a few times to my mkiii but only once to my 22/45. I'll probably clean them both again some time before 2020... Maybe.
  • Like 1

As the owner of both the Ruger 22/45, and the GSG; I'd have to agree with TrickyNicky. Both are fun. But for dependability, accuracy, quality construction and materials; go with the Ruger.

And why does it have to be a 1911 for the 22? Why not a Glock with a conversion kit. Even a P220 with a kit?

And as far as a Colt, I had a Colt Ace for years. It was fun to look at, but a pita to shoot. Undependable and had to be scrupulously clean to function. Maybe a good match gun(maybe), but for a range toy or a just fun shooter...no.

Why can't we have a single thread in the handgun section without someone bringing up the "G" word?

The OP said he wanted a cheap 1911. In no way does a Glock fit that criteria.

This isn't aimed at you alone, but at all the Glock fanboys out there. THERE ARE MORE HANDGUNS AVAILABLE THAN JUST A GLOCK! Everyone doesn't like them. :wall:

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I feel much better now. :hat: :D

• Like 2

Greg, while I usually agree with you; I can't in this instance.

I offered the option of a Glock pistol with a 22 conversion kit as an alternative. Many of us have Glocks. Get over it. The AA kit allows the shooting of 22 when we can find it. But you know that.

Others offered options to the 1911 format as well. That didn't illicit a response from you.

If you didn't agree, that's fine.

But since I've had dealings and conversations with the OP, I offered a suggestion and opinion to him.

Nothing more than that.

• Like 2

Greg, while I usually agree with you; I can't in this instance.

I offered the option of a Glock pistol with a 22 conversion kit as an alternative. Many of us have Glocks. Get over it. The AA kit allows the shooting of 22 when we can find it. But you know that.

Others offered options to the 1911 format as well. That didn't illicit a response from you.

If you didn't agree, that's fine.

But since I've had dealings and conversations with the OP, I offered a suggestion and opinion to him.

Nothing more than that.

Sir,

I did not mean to offend you, and should have kept my opinion to myself.

It does seem that on this board, the answer to any and all questions is a Glock.

"I need a new kitchen sink."

Answer: "Why don't you just buy a Glock?"

:shrug:

I'm not picking on you. Your post just happened to be the latest example I saw.

My pick for a 22 handgun would be a model 17 or 18 Smith and Wesson, but the OP asked for a 1911.

Edited by gregintenn

Sounds like a bunch of chickens around here:

"Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock..................." :shake:

:rofl:

No harm..no foul. We are all pretty opinionated around here. Sometimes it gets in the way of conversation. My apologies, Greg. 

• Like 1