Finally got the nerve to camo my AR

Thanks Luke for all the tips....and for trying it first  :rofl:

I was more worried that once I got started, I would go with the wrong color for base coat, not like the design half way through, or have an image in my head and hate it on the rifle. So! I just started painting with no idea whatsoever in my head and went with it.

I used Rustoleum flat camo in the following colors: Sand, Army green, and Dark Earth.

Sprayed the crap out of it with brake cleaner and let dry.

P5250090_zpscaf71c87.jpg

P5250091_zpse8f5175d.jpg

Tape over the trigger and serial number (Not sure why, but I did).

P5250092_zps64e5ac39.jpg

First light coat of OD green

P5250093_zps4d8fa6a5.jpg

P5250094_zps6b4b0866.jpg

After 2nd coat of OD green

P5250095_zps859d8a3a.jpg

P5250096_zps4df96946.jpg

P5250097_zpsaca4a84a.jpg

And here is the part where y'all get to cuss me for skipping pictures. (I know, I hate it too) But I got into it, and moved back and forth so many times, I would have had 100 pictures and probably forgot what I was trying to do in my head. So, I apologize in advance. :ugh:

P5250098_zps5f431e4c.jpg

P5250099_zps2edea830.jpg

P5250100_zps202e91bf.jpg

P5250101_zpse603c817.jpg

P5250102_zps51a66c65.jpg

20140611_140654_zpsf1d5qdlb.jpg

All that said, I am extremely happy. The finish is NOT shiny, which I did not want. The dull, flat look is great! Since I didn't take pictures of the leaf procedure (you can see them laying in the box), I will try to explain a little. Probably not much different than anyone else does though. 

I started with the two base coats of green. Then laid several of the little branches pretty much covering most of the rifle on one side. I sprayed several lines of the brown in different directions depending on how the leaves laid. I need to add that light leaves CAN be moved by the spray! GRRR So I had to adjust once I figured that out. I let that dry, flipped the rifle and repeated as close as I could remember on the opposite side.

Then I grabbed the sand and laid about half the amount of leaves I used for brown on the rifle and sprayed 5 or 6 lines mostly vertical and a few on top and bottom of the rifle.

I wasn't keen on keeping that much sand color although I love it, just thinking about my area colors. I wanted more green and brown. So I made one more trip around the whole rifle with brown (to break up some of the larger areas of sand color) and then green (A blending type action of all of the designs) again. 

I decided at the point above that I would stop where I was. Let me know what you think, and if you're pondering it, give it a shot!!

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 10

Looks good though some of the pictures nearly gave me vertigo.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was using my camera instead of my phone and hadn't used it in a while. Forgot how to work the dang thing.

And thank you, I'm happy with it for my first time.

Looks really good! I'm not usually a fan of spray paint on guns but, you did very well.

I appreciate that. I keep looking at it and thinking "Did I do that?" I really want to try another one and see what else I can come up with....just gotta get another AR lol

Looks really good! I'm not usually a fan of spray paint on guns but, you did very well.

Same here. I have a camo AK that was done when I traded for it. I like it. But I have a Sig that I'm about to remove the camo job on.

Some just seem to fit...while others don't.

I think yours does. Good work.

• Like 1

Same here. I have a camo AK that was done when I traded for it. I like it. But I have a Sig that I'm about to remove the camo job on.

Some just seem to fit...while others don't.

I think yours does. Good work.

Thank you! I was hoping I didn't end up wanting to remove my "mess" if I hated it. Thank goodness, it worked out. I am really happy hearing so many people say they like it. Especially since sometimes the owner sees beauty that nobody else can :)

You did a good job.

Thanks Ted!

I think a factory could not have done a better job. Looks great for sure.................... :up: :up: :up:

Thanks Bersaguy!! I appreciate the compliment. If I would have went in to this thinking "I'm going to make this look awesome!" it would not have turned out this good. I think what helped me was not having anything in mind and just making it up as I went. Which also could have turned out bad I guess lol.

Man it looks even better on the computer screen than it did in pics you sent to my phone yesterday. It should definitely blend well.

Thanks, I hope so. I meant to paint the bipod at the same time. Isn't it a rule that you have to forget something? Yep! Oh well, I'll lay it out when I do the magazine practice.

Thank you links2k and Grand Torino!

I am very impressed with how it turned out. A first rate job and I love the look. Congratulations!   :woohoo:

Thank you! I should have known that I did pretty good when my wife said "Don't lie to me, that's a new gun!" :rofl:
  • Like 3
Alright, Ruger! You reminded me I wanted to do this! You up for letting me come over and walking me through it? I also really like your "paint box." I've been wondering what I could use here at home in that capacity.

My wifey will be out of town for two weeks immediately after the 4th of July. I'll need something to do! :-)

Alright, Ruger! You reminded me I wanted to do this! You up for letting me come over and walking me through it? I also really like your "paint box." I've been wondering what I could use here at home in that capacity.

My wifey will be out of town for two weeks immediately after the 4th of July. I'll need something to do! :-)

Yeah, no problem. Just PM me whenever you're ready. I just had mine out tonight just looking it over again since I'd put it away so I wouldn't keep handling it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks great!

There are a ton of guys on another forum I am on doing it and some of theirs are SICK. I cant work up the nerve to do it. Might do it to an old sporterized Mosin I have first. 

Check some of them out!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/outdoor-sports-recreation/630635-home-done-camo-pattern-thread.html

Thanks Rocko!

I've been on Pirate for years, but never saw the camo thread, thanks for the heads up. There are some nice ones on there. 

Guest 04 Rocko Taco

Thanks Rocko!

I've been on Pirate for years, but never saw the camo thread, thanks for the heads up. There are some nice ones on there. 

Glad I could help!
I basically live in the OSR section on Pirate, and venture out to GCC and the Toyota section occasionally.