"What are you so afraid of that you have to carry a gun?"

Just tell them you're afraid of three headed monkeys. If they have any follow up questions just point over their shoulder and yell " there's one now!" They'll probably look because based on the fact that they asked you that question, they're probably stupid. While their looking for Bingo the three headed monkey you should be able to egress.

If you really want to screw with them tell them its doctors orders and walk away while they try to figure that one out.
  • Like 5

I guess I'm looking for an answer that will stop them dead in their tracks 95% of the time. I couldn't care less if I educate them, I just want to shut them up.

In that case "none of your f'n business" is pretty universal for getting people to shut up. As with my previous reply I like to curse to emphasize my contempt for their stupid question.
  • Like 2

In that case "none of your f'n business" is pretty universal for getting people to shut up. As with my previous reply I like to curse to emphasize my contempt for their stupid question.

While that would certainly be effective....I don't think that will help out the reputation of gun owners. It's bad enough there are Pseudo-Liberals walking around calling anyone with much more than a musket an "Ammosexual".

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1

When people I don't like talk to me, I'll usually not say anything, but stare at them intently until they begin to fidget and nervously walk away. They usually make it a point to avoid me after that, and I haven't said anything I regret.

No one had ever asked me.  But if they did I would mention something about keeping my options open,  fight or flight like has been mentioned before.

One answer I never will give,  and no offense intended to those of you who think  they are this.  But I am not a sheep dog, I have no intention of using my carry gun to save anyone who is not a loved one of mine.  I DO NOT carry to protect anyone else.   You are on your freaking own.  If you get shot and maimed because I did not pull my gun to save you then Oh Well.  Too bad for you.

• Like 9

The biggest reason I carry is I have a relative that has tried to kill me in the past. This is also why I as have a gun close by at all times. And that is what I tell anyone who asks and I have had people ask. I do not carry to protect others but I might depending on the circumstances. 

No one ever asks me this.  They know people hate lawyers.  Especially their husband or wife's divorce attorney.  

It's just to bad I've been doing this just long enough that I've forgotten how to do any honest work.... 

I've heard some pretty interesting stories from a family law attorney regarding divorces and child custody cases.  Like standing at the border b/w the US and Canada with police to prevent a parent who has "kidnapped" their kid from the other parent from taking said child across the border.  Definitely stuff I wouldn't have thought was part of the job.

Edited by wipfel

I've never been asked this question either, but I'd be inclined to be polite and informative, if possible. I care a lot about the "vibe" folks get from the gun community. That being said, some are just looking for an argument and no amount of common sense will disuade them. These types deserve any smartass answers they get.

I like the quote from Clint Smith. "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

I like ol' Clint Smith...watch him on some videos and TV shows from time to time.

I carry a watch to keep up with time. I carry my keys to operate my vehicle. I carry a knife because I may need to cut something. I carry a flashlight because I may need light. I carry paracord because I may need some rope. I carry a gun because there might be crazies.

tools, tools, tools.

[quote name="NoBanStan" post="1158055" timestamp="1402587944"]I carry a watch to keep up with time. I carry my keys to operate my vehicle. I carry a knife because I may need to cut something. I carry a flashlight because I may need light. I carry paracord because I may need some rope. I carry a gun because there might be crazies. tools, tools, tools.[/quote] And we have a winner here!!!! JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

There are many reasons one could use to explain why they carry a gun but I like the universal language one best......"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language.

I see it like this..I don't put on my seatbelt everytime i drive because i expect to get into a accident...I put it on "just in case" i happen to get into one..Same with my side arm..It's a life preserver, just like a seatbelt, or a life jacket...

I usually ask if they carry a spare tire or jumper cables.  They aren't necessary untill you need them.

Edited by tnhawk

Reminds me of a joke:

A cop pulls over an old lady who had been speeding.

He asks her if she has any firearms in the car.

She responds: "Well, I've got a .38 on my hip, a .32 on my ankle, a .45 in the glove box and a double barrel 12 gauge in the trunk.

The cop looks at the old lady in surprise and asks: "Ma'am, what are you so afraid of?"

She smiles and says: "Why son, not an f#@%ing thing."