Warranty on a Ruger American 270

Angus

So the wife bought me a NIB American in 270, as requested. This was my Christmas 2012 gift. I didn't ge to shoot the rifle much, but the shooting I did do made me un happy. The bolt on the rifle was getting stuck, and I could not extract the spent cartridge. I thought it may have been ammo choice, so when I was able to get to the range, I had several different brands of ammo, but kept them all at the 130grain wt.

After a quick googling back in April of 2014, I found that I was not the only person to have this issue. I figured I would have to ship the gun back, so I went to the store I originally purchased the rifle from, in Hendersonville, Tn., to ask for a box to use for shipping. I told them of my problems with the rifle, and was met with a blank, unconcerned look. I was given a box to ship the rifel, a huge box, but a box no the less.

I contacted Ruger, and was given an RMA, but then found out that UPS will only pick up from the house, and does not give a specific pickup time...ie: I would have to wait at home until they came to get the package. I was told to contact the store of purchase, and they should be able to ship the gun for me.........and so it begins (or continues depending on how you read about the box).

On Tue. May 27th, I brought the rifle, unboxed, to the affiliate store up in Greenbrier, Tn., since the store of purchase told me over the phone that they could not ship the rifle for me. I was given a receipt for the rifle, and was told that it will be shipped.

Now, 2 weeks later, said store does not have my rifle. I cannot get any shipping info from them for the nice lady in charge of such things is not "in" today. She was not in yesterday, or the day I dropped the rifle off. I called Ruger, and they do not have my rifle. I spoke with Mark at Ruger, and he called the Greenbrier store, and called me back with no other information other than, he can understand my frustration with the store employees. I called the store of purchase, and left a message for the owner to please call me with any info they have with regards to my rifle. That was 5 hrs ago.

Soooooooooooooo, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go from here? Any one else have this type of experience with getting a gun repaired by the manufacturer?

Thanks

John

Edited by Angus

I don't think the manufacturer is your problem here.  Ruger has a good reputation with dealing with these things.  If it were me I'd go down to the store you dropped it off at with your receipt, ask to speak to the manager and tell them that you want your gun or proof that it has been shipped to Ruger NOW.  I would then seek legal action.

• Like 1

I contacted Ruger, and was given an RMA, but then found out that UPS will only pick up from the house, and does not give a specific pickup time...i

You lost me right off the bat. One question might help understanding:

The RMA apparently included a UPS shipping label since you say UPS would have picked it up, is that right?

- OS

No sir. UPS now issues the tracking number when they come to pick up the weapon. Since I let G&L ship it back for me, they would have the tracking number. I have talked to those folks, but they are unable to give me a tracking number for some reason?

No sir. UPS now issues the tracking number when they come to pick up the weapon. Since I let G&L ship it back for me, they would have the tracking number. I have talked to those folks, but they are unable to give me a tracking number for some reason?

Oh, okay I see.

Most companies send you a shipping label via email attachment or in regular mail anymore. Didn't know Ruger was still using the "call tag" option through shipper. I did a lot of those when I was FedEx Ground guy. We had to try three times, though, just like a delivery, and leave notice each time with time of day on it, so you'd get an idea of time span I was at least somewhat likely to be back by the next time.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I used the email method with Remington a few years ago, but apparently UPS will not allow this anymore?

Pretty sure I've sent stuff back with email generated UPS tags, but not a firearm, so maybe either UPS or Ruger insists on that with actual firearms, dunno.

- OS

Damn bro, I thought a shop losing a firing pin on me was bad but this is wrong. I agree with 10 ring, if he manager doesn't remedy this when you get there I would contact L/E and treat it as a stolen firearm. L/E will point you in the right direction from there. Good luck!

I'll check on this and have an answer for you today. I do most of the shipping at Greenbrier, dunno why no one has asked me about it.

Me either, but that is a conversation for another time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so a delayed end to this story. I was called on July 25, to tell me my gun was finally in. I called Sat am, July 26th, and was told they do not have it?!? After a couple of phone calls, it was determined that, in fact, it was in and I could come pick it up. Very sad to say my dealings with that retailer have come to an end.

The rifle shoots great, and still likes Federal ammo. I still have some work to do with it, as I am not the most proficient rifleman around. I can tell you, at 100 yards, I can keep groups at 1 inch and less. But again, I have some work to do on my mechanics to become a more consistant shooter.

• 6 months later...

Anyone else have any issues with an American?  I am really thinking about picking one up in 243 stainless for deer season this year.  I love my old .270 but I think a stainless light weight bolt gun would be a better work horse for what I demand out of a deer rifle.  I bring this up because besides the OPs issue my dad bought an American in .308, I was sitting beside him when he fired on a deer this past season and the gun did not go off.  Could have been a fluke, could have been an ammo problem and not a gun problem.  I like the way the American handles but I don't want to buy a problem.

I picked up a left handed one in a 308 recently. Never had a problem with it firing, but straight from the box, the bolt was missing the extractor and spring. Had to send the whole gun back to Ruger, which was annoying, but they fixed it up. Haven't shot much since, but it has not had any more problems as of yet.

They did have some problems,but have straightened them out. They added two full shifts to catch up on a few hundred thousand backlog thanks to Obama

and they had some quality control issues. The new plant in NC is also up and running.

I sent a revolver back to Ruger in January this year. They emailed me a FedX label, it also had the RMA number printed on it. Dropped it out at the FedX store. Being the revolver was replaced I had to receive it at an FFL.

Maybe different operation states have different rules? I know revolvers go north, semi pistols go west and rifles go east I believe.j