The Blue Angels just flew by my window

I was driving down I-40 towards Dickson yesterday and a Chinook was doing an aerial refueling from a MC-130 tanker overhead. Really neat to see. Wonder if they are participating in the air show as well.

Edited by xjsnake

Just a note for your information.  If you are ever in Pensacola, their "home" is the Naval Air Station Pensacola and they have practices that are open to the public and free if they are not out on the road.  You will also get to meet them at the (I highly recommend it) museum after the show, er, practice.  It's all free and the museum is something to see even if they are not there.

Here is a link for more information:

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/blue-angels/

• Like 1

Just a note for your information. If you are ever in Pensacola, their "home" is the Naval Air Station Pensacola and they have practices that are open to the public and free if they are not out on the road. You will also get to meet them at the (I highly recommend it) museum after the show, er, practice. It's all free and the museum is something to see even if they are not there.

I spent 4 months at NAS Pensacola for a school when I was in the Marines. I love the blue angels, but listening to those F-18's thunder overhead everyday constantly gets old lol. It was awesome seeing them constantly though.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

Just a note for your information.  If you are ever in Pensacola, their "home" is the Naval Air Station Pensacola and they have practices that are open to the public and free if they are not out on the road.  You will also get to meet them at the (I highly recommend it) museum after the show, er, practice.  It's all free and the museum is something to see even if they are not there.

We attempted to plan our vacation around that very thing.  Unfortunately they're doing a show somewhere the week the kids have off.  :(

I spent 4 months at NAS Pensacola for a school when I was in the Marines. I love the blue angels, but listening to those F-18's thunder overhead everyday constantly gets old lol. It was awesome seeing them constantly though.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

And yet, when you jar heads get in a jam, who comes in with suppression and robust flavors of ordinance?

Don't hear you guys whinin' about the twins then, even when we light em up.  :)

VFA-25  The Fist of the Fleet.  

Let's see who can remember seeing the Blue Angles in their different kind of aircraft. Early in my Navy career, I was stationed at Sherman Field (Pensacola) in the training squadron VT-4. At the time, our squadron had T2J-1 Buckeyes. We had one half of a large hangar. The Blue Angels had the other half of the same hangar. At that time, they were flying the F-11 Tigers. Beautiful aircraft, and it looked good in the air. Usually, when they would come back home, off the airshow circuit, they would put on quite a show! They would rip the place up quite a bit...I guess so everyone would know they were back in town. I'm sure they could get away with a lot more in those years than they can now!

They have flown some interesting aircraft over the years.

• Like 1

Let's see who can remember seeing the Blue Angles in their different kind of aircraft. Early in my Navy career, I was stationed at Sherman Field (Pensacola) in the training squadron VT-4. At the time, our squadron had T2J-1 Buckeyes. We had one half of a large hangar. The Blue Angels had the other half of the same hangar. At that time, they were flying the F-11 Tigers.

I must be just a few years younger than you. When I was in the Navy they were flying F-4 Phantom's.

If the show next year is like this one, I won't go back.

No coolers, no backpacks.... $4 waters. There were very few ground exhibits. The Angels ended early. I probably spent $125 today between tickets, bouncy castles for the kids and hydration.

I remember as a kid, we got to go into ALL KINDS of military vehicles. I even remember playing with an M16 and an M72 LAW at an airshow. Maybe it just seemed grand as a child.

Regardless, at least my kids got to see some ace flying. Next year though, we'll see it from afar for alot cheaper :D

• Like 1

I can recommend this museum, it's awesome...even if the Angels aren't practicing and it doesn't cost a dime!!!

Missed them by a week last time we were out there.

Guest ChattownKA

im going to the show in Pensacola, the week after the 4th of July. nothing better than sitting on a boat with good beer and family watching the blues soar above you

No coolers, no backpacks.... $4 waters. There were very few ground exhibits. The Angels ended early. I probably spent $125 today between tickets, bouncy castles for the kids and hydration.

I remember as a kid, we got to go into ALL KINDS of military vehicles. I even remember playing with an M16 and an M72 LAW at an airshow. Maybe it just seemed grand as a child.

Regardless, at least my kids got to see some ace flying. Next year though, we'll see it from afar for alot cheaper :D

The "no coolers, no backpacks" weighed significantly into us not going.  That's just absurd.  I'm not gonna spend a week's pay trying to keep my family hydrated when you're stuck out in the sun with no shade all day long.  The lack of ground exhibits pretty much puts the nail in the coffin.  I too remember seeing all kinds of stuff there.  Even a separate area for people who flew their own airplane there... dozens and dozens of every type of kit plane imaginable. 

I must be just a few years younger than you. When I was in the Navy they were flying F-4 Phantom's.

DaveTN, do you remember what they went to after the F-4 Phantoms and why? If you'll remember back then, there was a lot of chatter about gasoline shortages. The media really bashed the Blue Angels for flying such "fuel guzzling" aircraft. Political pressure built to the point that the F4 was replaced with the A4 Skyhawk. Remember the F4 had two big J-79 engines, with afterburners...and the little "Tinker Toy", as it was called aboard carriers (or Scooters), only had one much smaller engine, and no afterburner.

I am probably a couple of months older than you!

I guess they are just being cautious...to try and avoid another "Boston Marathon" incident.