Which 1911 would you buy under $1500?

Hunter24

I dove into ONE Wilson Combat once; don't remember the model, but it was horrible. I know, I know the reputation. But this ONE was a piece of junk. It fed NOTHING. I took a helluva beating on it just to get rid of that monstrosity. Swore I would never do THAT again. Over tight ain't right; not for a "trust your life to" gun, anyway.

That is a big disappointment but I suspect rather a rare occurance.

The thing is, as it currently stands, Wilson Combat will perform a courtesy repair of any Wilson firearm (not user abused) that it has produced regardless if it is owned by the original buyer or even if a pre-owned Wilson. Their customer service reputation is extraordinary. It is not a stated warranty but rather what they simply do for Wilson owners. Edited by Djay3
Guest Fred W

For me it would be kind of a toss up. I have an old Dan Wesson I purchased a couple of years ago. It had certainly been "rode hard and put up wet." Got it for $599 and as it was an older model it was actually called a Dan Wesson Experimental. Anyway I was lucky as the barrel was in good shape but the bluing was in bad shape from holster wear and a few scratches here and there (well actually more than that). But ended up replacing all the springs with extra power springs: recoil, main spring, firing pin spring, new firing pin, a tad of trigger work. Put fiber optics on it and some really nice Cocobolo double diamond grips. Sent it up to Kentucky Gun Coating and had it cerakoted. You would not believe how it looks now. And it shoots great! have shot Pointman's, Heritage and a Valor and my old Dan Wesson is just as good as any of them. So if you go Dan Wesson and take care of it, it will last much longer than you will!

Now with all that said - I also have a really nice STI Duty One and that sure is nice too. It would be hard to chose one of these over the other. I think if you chose either you certainly would not go wrong.

I would probably take the $$ and get a trigger job on the ones I have. 

get something well made, plenty of suggestions here, and spend the rest on getting it tweaked by a half decent smith.   Those $700ish guns shoot great out of the box, a quick/cheap trigger job (DIY parts or the like, not a $1k custom fit job) and a fitted bushing will go a long, long way on the cheap...

If you are going to spend $1500.00 go $200.00 more and get a Government 1911 Les Baer, the UTC or TRS

Do this and you will thank me, I promise!

This. Or a nice used one. Dan Wesson is one I would like to own too. For every day my buddy has a Rock Island officers that has been outstanding. I don't like tossing my Baer around.
Guest gearedandready

Any competent gun smith can take a $400 to $600 1911 and make it run circles around the big boys.

Now what to get under $1500.00? If you want a real competition gun, and if you can find one, a Norinco, not imported into the U.S. since 1992. There is no stronger frame or slide. Find one for around $500 to $600 then spend around $300 at a reputable gun smith and you will have the best 1911 around. Keep the barrel have it crowned. Add a 16.5lbs (will shoot the widest range of ammo) progressive spring, a guide rod, do a trigger job, get some good mags, polish the feed ramp, add a big beaver tail if you like beaver. You will not be sorry. For less than a grand you will have one of the best. After that Tisas (yes of course I did), Springfield, Rock Island, and then ATI. Lastly the Remington R1 for the money is not bad.

I will apologize ahead of time for those I am about to offend and turn red faced. Unless you are purchasing a classic colt with great collectability or perhaps you find the rare 1911 made by singer sewing machine, there is no reason to spend more than $900.00 on a 1911, and that is after it is completely tricked out. You can take a $450.00 1911 and invest $450.00 in workmanship in it and have a firearm that “No High End Retailer” can touch. Don’t waste your money on them. There is no reason an entry level Colt Gov 1991 Series 80 should retail for $1100.00, none there are 1911’s out there that are less than ½ that cost and are equal to or better in quality, that includes accuracy, fit, and finish.

In my opinion they have priced themselves out of the market. Everyday more and more people are realizing that the major brands have nothing over the minor brands. Don’t get fooled.

I am a big CZ fan they make great firearms, ever since they bought the Dan Wesson brand they have done very well with it, I have not shot one but spent quite a while at the CZ-USA booth at Shot Show this year examining them. What I saw was very nice out of the box.

I still like Norinco’s though!

Edited by gearedandready

In that price range Dan Wesson hands down.  My CCO that I got from Larry has to be one of the smoothest 1911s I've ever handled.  I have a few that cost twice as much that I don't like as much as the CCO.

And I still question my reasons for that deal. LOL

No, not really. I just didn't for some reason I can't explain, warm up to the gun. But very glad you did.