Weed and Guns Conflict

Guest Lowbuster

Medical marijuana will still get you high, actually it gets you higher than regular pot.  With true MM you will know exactly what strain you are consuming as opposed to "bubba pot" that God only knows the contents of.  MM also tends to have higher concentrations of THC.  Different strains will give the user different effects.  Some strains will make the user really hungry, these strains have been known to really help out chemo patients who don't want to eat.  Some strains will relax the user, these have been known to work in the place of heavy drugs used to treat anxiety.  Other strains will cause the user to concentrate, users can use pot instead of dangerous amphetamines.  These are just a few examples of things that marijuana can treat, not to mention daily issues like insomnia, and aches and pains.  Think what you want but I'd rather use a natural plant to treat myself than synthetic chemicals made in a laboratory.

Thanks, it sounds like I'm missing out on a lot. Lol
It sounds like MM is good for some people to help with health problems.

I have been drunk once in my life. I've been high on pot once in my life.  I'd say both were about the same felling/impact on my mentally and physically.  However, I'm nearly 60 now and my experience was nearly 40 years ago so I might be wrong. ;)

Frankly, I've never truly seen any logical or societal reason for alcohol to be "legal" and pot to be illegal...as with most everything in life; it's when used in excess that the problems occur and that's true of just about any thing or any activity you could name.

Several years ago my mother was in the hospital near death, during the recovery the DR gave her something to gain an appetite. The DR was chuckling when she told me Ma and me it was a derivative of marijuana. It worked!
It was in pill form and she didn't have any other effects. Edited by Ugly
Never used an illicit drug ever in my life... And have no interest in doing so. But as far as I am concerned, possession and private use of marijuana should have no more bearing on gun ownership than alcohol does. Penalties for causing harm to others while under the influence should be stiffer than they currently are, however, and public intoxication charges should still apply when not on private property.
Any drug or substance that alters or impairs your mental / emotional / physical function is not a good mix with firearms possession or use. If you ignore this and use firearms while under the influence of such substances to any degree, whether legal or not, then you are taking a risk. The degree of the risk is debatable, but you can bet that nearly all LEO, attorneys, judges, juries, and average-joe citizens will have a very different view of it than you do, and it won't be in your favor.

I'm 65 and smoked bales of it. People do believe me. :) :)

- OS

50 here and while I've not touched the stuff in close to 20 years one thing I'm never afraid to tell anyone is that I indeed smoked me the $H!T outta some weed when I did partake.... When I retire and no longer have to worry about passing this test for the USCG I'm gonna buy me a big ass bag of weed and remember me the good old days....

• Like 1

Any drug or substance that alters or impairs your mental / emotional / physical function is not a good mix with firearms possession or use. If you ignore this and use firearms while under the influence of such substances to any degree, whether legal or not, then you are taking a risk. The degree of the risk is debatable, but you can bet that nearly all LEO, attorneys, judges, juries, and average-joe citizens will have a very different view of it than you do, and it won't be in your favor.

I don't think that anyone here will disagree with that.

I'm 43 and never smoked it. People don't believe me.

41 here, and same. The only thing I've smoked was half a cigarette swiped from an uncle when I was 16. I hated it, tossed it, and never looked back. My experience with "illegal" drugs was a few underage alcoholic beverages. And now I work in an industry where random drug tests are the norm, so I've pretty much missed the boat on MJ experimentation.

That said, I see no difference between MJ and alcohol or nicotine. And MJ in pill/oil/food form is much safer than cigarettes. I would never consider drinking alcohol while carrying, same with MJ or any other drug.

[ETA]

I forgot I also smoked half a cheap cigar once when a friend had a baby. It was like I had my face stuck in a burning pile of leaves; not even remotely pleasant. I didn't finish that one either.

Edited by JWKilgore