Walgreens Pharmacist Fired

Just curious if anyone else has seen this and what they think. I'm sure they had the legal right to fire him, but at least you know where not to get your prescriptions filled.
http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/news/court-upholds-walgreens-firing-pharmacist-using-handgun

Hope the link works
There maybe a better version on the web, I just came across this in my emails Edited by spikehunter

The court disagreed, citing Hoven’s status as an at-will employee who could be fired at any time, for any reason. - See more at: http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/news/court-upholds-walgreens-firing-pharmacist-using-handgun#sthash.REQw1B24.dpuf

If he agrees to the policy, there really isn't much to consider. If he was in a life or death situation that violated the businesses non-escalation policy and he wanted to defend himself rather that die, then unfortunately that choice violates company policy. It is then up to the company to decide whether or not to enforce their own policy, and being an at-will employee, he agreed by working there that they have the right to terminate his employment for any or no reason at all.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with with the decision. Just kinda sucks to be that situation.

Yup, sucks all kind of undesireables. I hope that guy gets a job somewhere better where they won't fire him if this situation were to occur again.

But, that won't stop me from going there. Those places are very convenient.

• Moderators
I recently left walgreens after seven years with them as an assistant manager. I too was subject to and understood their no firearms policy. I carried every single day. I understood that were I to ever need to use my gun that I would be looking for a new job. I was ok with that as hopefully, I would still be alive to look for one. For those of you saying you won't go back to shop at Walgreens anymore, good. Not because of this, but because it is a terrible, terrible dishonest and unethical company that treats its people worse than any group of evil bastards I have ever had the displeasure of working for. There are plenty of reasons not to shop there. They are a terrible company run by terrible people. If one day they made the national news because somebody snapped and went full in postal at corporate headquarters I would understand and wonder what took so long.
  • Like 6
If you are not going to Walgreens due to their no firearms policy for employees then I suggest that you do not step foot in any retail store. I have yet to find one that does Not have that policy in place. It is simply an insurance thing. What we need is a law that eliminates employers liability if an employee defends themselves. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 5

What we need is a law that eliminates employers liability if an employee defends themselves.

We need a law that removes store liability from anyone carrying a gun into any store open to the public and puts that liability directly on either the person with the gun, or a person committing a criminal act. If someone gets shot in a store, the lawsuit will focus on the deep pockets; the store. The shooter generally won’t have much to get, but the store can be strong armed into an out of court settlement rather than having the cost of a trial and chance of a loss. It’s not a justice system; it’s a business for unscrupulous lawyers, and it’s why stores are posted.

I'd like to see a law that says, if you don't want your customers and your employees to have guns in your store, then you must pay for and provide armed security. Put the liability on the other foot, see how fast they come around.

• Like 4

I agree completely...

But, it also is our right to stop doing business with Walgreens over their actions... like firing a man who was just trying to protect himself from bad guys.

Free market is a wonderful thing.

If he agrees to the policy, there really isn't much to consider. If he was in a life or death situation that violated the businesses non-escalation policy and he wanted to defend himself rather that die, then unfortunately that choice violates company policy. It is then up to the company to decide whether or not to enforce their own policy, and being an at-will employee, he agreed by working there that they have the right to terminate his employment for any or no reason at all.

• Like 2

I'd like to see a law that says, if you don't want your customers and your employees to have guns in your store, then you must pay for and provide armed security. Put the liability on the other foot, see how fast they come around.

The only way that could happen would be if the state recognized all citizens right to carry; and our state doesn't.

[quote name="QuietDan" post="1160073" timestamp="1403094537"]I'd like to see a law that says, if you don't want your customers and your employees to have guns in your store, then you must pay for and provide armed security. Put the liability on the other foot, see how fast they come around.[/quote] Great idea!! And guess who pays for that??? And it would still be cheaper than the liability of stupid people with stupid lawyers. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The best thing to do is to just carry discreetly.  The man did that and is thankfully alive because of his decision.  Drug addicts like to hold up pharmacies and it would be wise to have one there, especially if you work there.  Unfortunately most any major corporation is going to have this sort of silly policy.  You just have to deal with it the best that you can and work around it without drawing attention to yourself while carrying.

My dad worked for eckerd drugs for 3 days short of 20 years. 3 days before his retirement he died from a complication after going through surgery. While he worked there he was robbed 4 times and held hostage once while in south Florida. I begged him to armor up but he always insisted on giving the store away before fighting back. After all the crap he put up with eckerds didn't even send a condolence card when he passed on. He always told me how anal and stupidly cheap walgreens, eckerds and walmart were.

Pharmacy chains are a necessary evil where some deserve every bit of drama and loss they deserve because they only care about money and people.
F walgreens and F eckerds. The way they treat their people is a travesty. Bastards.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 2
This all happened long before the oxy family and zpill billies were around. 19 years 362 days w that company and not even a card. About 50 of his coworkers alone came to his funeral. No one from corporate.
I think every pharmacist should defend themselves from tic tac junkies to usual armed robbers. Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

My dad worked for eckerd drugs for 3 days short of 20 years. 3 days before his retirement he died from a complication after going through surgery. While he worked there he was robbed 4 times and held hostage once while in south Florida. I begged him to armor up but he always insisted on giving the store away before fighting back. After all the crap he put up with eckerds didn't even send a condolence card when he passed on. He always told me how anal and stupidly cheap walgreens, eckerds and walmart were.

Pharmacy chains are a necessary evil where some deserve every bit of drama and loss they deserve because they only care about money and people.
F walgreens and F eckerds. The way they treat their people is a travesty. Bastards.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Well I shouldn't feel bad that they didn't respond to my two written opinions of their actions.  Guess I will quit holding my breath now............

• 3 weeks later...

I recently left walgreens after seven years with them as an assistant manager. I too was subject to and understood their no firearms policy. I carried every single day. I understood that were I to ever need to use my gun that I would be looking for a new job. I was ok with that as hopefully, I would still be alive to look for one. For those of you saying you won't go back to shop at Walgreens anymore, good. Not because of this, but because it is a terrible, terrible dishonest and unethical company that treats its people worse than any group of evil bastards I have ever had the displeasure of working for. There are plenty of reasons not to shop there. They are a terrible company run by terrible people. If one day they made the national news because somebody snapped and went full in postal at corporate headquarters I would understand and wonder what took so long.

Yeah I hate at will firing states, because you are a slave to greedy corporations. I was fired a couple of times over the years over crap someone accused me of, and at will opens the door to all kinds of discriminatory firings, or being fired simply because they don't like you. I wish the at will thing would just die, you should have a good concrete reason for being fired at a job. Corporations only care about money and would grind their employees into dust to save a few pennies. Look at Wal Mart, many of their employees are on food stamps and welfare while they made billions in profit.

With that said, I worked at a gas station, and carried when I worked there. My right to self defense trumps an employer's property rights. If I would have gotten fired for using it, I would have just found another job, at least I would be alive to. 

• Moderators
[quote name="ab28" post="1167091" timestamp="1404951518"]Yeah I hate at will firing states, because you are a slave to greedy corporations. I was fired a couple of times over the years over crap someone accused me of, and at will opens the door to all kinds of discriminatory firings, or being fired simply because they don't like you. I wish the at will thing would just die, you should have a good concrete reason for being fired at a job. Corporations only care about money and would grind their employees into dust to save a few pennies. Look at Wal Mart, many of their employees are on food stamps and welfare while they made billions in profit. With that said, I worked at a gas station, and carried when I worked there. My right to self defense trumps an employer's property rights. If I would have gotten fired for using it, I would have just found another job, at least I would be alive to. [/quote] I have the opposite view. I would much rather work in an at will state.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="ab28" post="1167091" timestamp="1404951518"]Yeah I hate at will firing states, because you are a slave to greedy corporations. I was fired a couple of times over the years over crap someone accused me of, and at will opens the door to all kinds of discriminatory firings, or being fired simply because they don't like you. I wish the at will thing would just die, you should have a good concrete reason for being fired at a job. Corporations only care about money and would grind their employees into dust to save a few pennies. Look at Wal Mart, many of their employees are on food stamps and welfare while they made billions in profit. With that said, I worked at a gas station, and carried when I worked there. My right to self defense trumps an employer's property rights. If I would have gotten fired for using it, I would have just found another job, at least I would be alive to. [/quote] Your right you should have to have a good concrete reason to quit. Especially since there is a high chance one will do it without proper notice. Employers should be able to collect unemployment from an employee that quits for no good reason and/or without notice. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 2

Your right you should have to have a good concrete reason to quit. Especially since there is a high chance one will do it without proper notice. Employers should be able to collect unemployment from an employee that quits for no good reason and/or without notice. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always gave 2 weeks notice when I quit a job, sometimes a month. Most employers have a lot more money than an employee, especially rich, greedy corporations. Every company I worked for, I made them a whole lot more than they paid me. 

I always gave 2 weeks notice when I quit a job, sometimes a month. Most employers have a lot more money than an employee, especially rich, greedy corporations. Every company I worked for, I made them a whole lot more than they paid me.

If you'd made them less than what they paid you (and the other employees) they would have gone out of business.

Was your time worth more to YOU (forget the company) than what you were paid? If so, then you would be right to quit.

Here is how I look at it. I'm trading my time and energy for something. If I'm employed, I'm trading it for money. And the employer is trading his/her money for my time and energy. If that is not a fair trade then one of us is getting shafted and the arrangement should end.

No one, including a greedy business/evil corporation, is my master. We are equals and I treat them as such.

The gov is a different matter. We the people are supposed to have dominion over them, but over time they have come to believe otherwise.

Edit: I apologize for my wording. I seem to be channelling Sheldon Cooper tonight.

Edit 2: Holy Thread Hijack! Sorry about that. Ahem... He shouldn't have been fired, but it was Walgreens right to do so, so I hope a gun-friendly pharmacy will hire him. Edited by Clod Stomper
  • Like 1