Ammo can capacity

Disclaimer: This is not my list but I found it while searching for capacities. It was from another forum and the member had figured it out over the years.

I thought it might be helpful to others if you don't know already:

1200rds of 5.56 will fit in to a 50cal ammo can.
600rds of 5.56 will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.
1750rds of .40SW will fit in to a 50cal ammo can.
1000rds of .40SW will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.
140rds of 12ga 2.75 will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.
250rds of 12ga 2.75 will fit in to a 50cal ammo can.
640rds of .308 will fit in to a 50cal ammo can.
320rds of .308 will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.
1300rds of .45ACP will fit in to a 50cal ammo can.
770rds of .45ACP will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.
2200rds of 9mm will fit in to a 50cal ammo can.
1200rds 1000rds of 9mm will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.
300rds of 7.62x54r will fit in to a 30cal ammo can.

NOTE: Editing as you guys post new info

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 3

These figures are for loose rounds, right? I keep about 75% of my long term storage ammo in orginal  boxes and these numbers don't seem the same to me.

Yes, for loose. I knew with the different packaging between manufacturers, that quantity per can would vary more. So I wanted loose capacity count. All the ammo I have loose in cans hasn't been in them long, but think I'm going to put silica packets in them anyway just so I don't forget in years to come.

Yes, for loose. I knew with the different packaging between manufacturers, that quantity per can would vary more. So I wanted loose capacity count. All the ammo I have loose in cans hasn't been in them long, but think I'm going to put silica packets in them anyway just so I don't forget in years to come.

Yes, some sort of dessicant pak is a must for me. I try to put at least one in each can, and oil the O-rings to keep the seals in good shape.

I was given 4 Navy 20mm ammo cans from my father-in-law a few years ago. He thought they would be great for storage. They are. I used them for bulk storage.  But dang HEAVY when loaded!

My solution was to put them on furniture dollys from Harbor Freight. It makes moving them around easier. Of course, I don't do that very often.

Edited by hipower
I use 30 cal cans like they are going out of style. I can only fit 640 45 ACP in one, 1000 9mm, 650 223, 800 40 s&w and have yet to count my 308 in one. But 300 sounds about right. Not sure how this guy is getting 1200 9mm in one... I have to compress mine pretty bad to get 1000 in there.

I use 30 cal cans like they are going out of style. I can only fit 640 45 ACP in one, 1000 9mm, 650 223, 800 40 s&w and have yet to count my 308 in one. But 300 sounds about right. Not sure how this guy is getting 1200 9mm in one... I have to compress mine pretty bad to get 1000 in there.

My experience has been the same, all my 9mm in 30 cal cans top out between 950-1050.

My experience has been the same, all my 9mm in 30 cal cans top out between 950-1050.

These two statements would also mean that 1000 .40 will not fit in a 30 cal can, so that needs to be adjusted as well. I will adjust the list as needed per your experiences too.

I use a 20mm can to hold all of my boxed premium JHP pistol ammo... 10x 50rd boxes each of 9mm & 45acp, with room to spare. I'd like to get another one for stationary storage of 5.56, surely it would hold 2500rd or better, loose.

i like this list. I agree with most of them. Back when I ordered ammo from Georgia Arms, they sent 1,000 rounds of 9mm in a 30cal can and it was packed to the brim, I agree with 173rd. Also, you can fit a 1080 round spam can of 5.45x39 in a 50 cal can with all of the rounds still in the paper bricks, for whatever that is worth.