Did Everything Weapons in Franklin sell me a used gun as new?

wtl

So last week I was in the Cool Springs area with time to kill, and stopped in at EW for the first time. They had a good selection of pocket sized .380s and I had been thinking about purchasing a Taurus TCP for awhile, and ended up buying a TCP marked new, for a little more than it can be purchased at Academy. I haven't shot it yet but decided to lube it today and maybe shoot it this weekend. Well, I disassembled it and darn if it doesn't look used to me. The barrel is dirty and the magazine is dirty with gunpowder. I haven't called the store yet--not sure how they'd even react as I can't really prove I haven't shot it--they could just tell me I must have dirtied it up shooting it myself.

What do y'all think of these pictures?

u3a8a7ym.jpghu3e2ugu.jpg

Guess I should have looked it over better at the store.

Edited by wtl

Maybe it hung on the test fire and they polished the ramp a little and shot a few more times? Then just didn't clean it and boxed it up?

Could be. Could also be someone test fired it at the store in the range. Happens. They do have a lifetime warranty so it shouldn't be a problem, but I understand the concern.

Could be. Could also be someone test fired it at the store in the range. Happens. They do have a lifetime warranty so it shouldn't be a problem, but I understand the concern.

Yeah I had to polish the crap out of both of mine as well as put 50-100 rounds through it before it would feed gold dots reliably. I was determined to make it like them haha. These are my favorite out of all the pocket .380s.

Yeah I thought about them firing it perhaps, but you'd figure the store would clean it up to avoid this type of concern. The TCP is cheap enough I'm not too worried about it, but I did pay about $30 over what you can get it for at Academy (when/if they have them) and then to open 'er up and see this kinda threw me.

Edited by wtl
  • Like 1

Taurus would've cleaned it after they did any work. That little ledge on the side of the follower looks like it's got gunk on it, not residue from a test fire or two.

I personally wouldn't be worried about the gun being used or not BUT would be pissed off if they sold it to me as new and it was used @ new gun pricing.

I think you have 3 days in the state of Tennessee to return a purchase and I would take it back and when they ask why your returning it I would tell them and also show them. Also why would they need to mark it as new if it  had a box and all the bells and whistles you get with a new gun? Paper work and warranty information and stuff. Did you get all of that with the purchase?

Every new Taurus I have bought, and that is several, came with a thick grease all over the metal surfaces and inside a plastic bag. The magazines were like new with grease all over them as well. The orange followers in the magazines did not have any marks on them. The barrel was clean other than the same greasy substance.

You gun looks used. It is not from just being test fired.

Maybe, because the store has a range, they rented it and because it was never sold previously they consider it a new gun. But looking at those pictures it definitely a used gun and hopefully the price reflected it was used.

Can you post a picture of the underside of the slide? Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I think you have 3 days in the state of Tennessee to return a purchase.....

That only applies if it is a home solicitation sale, where the seller contacts you first.  If you walk into someone's store and make a purchase, the "cooling off" period does not apply.

I'm starting to doubt that I'll buy a new gun anywhere that's not a vendor here. Maybe Walmart Or Academy I guess, but I can't see a reason to do business with anyone who isn't a vendor. I'd say shoot the thing and enjoy it, if you feel hinky about the whole thing then lesson learned. Greenbriar isn't far from Brentwood/Franklin anyway.
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone! I've emailed EW and invited them to comment here. I figured that was easier than calling and trying to describe it, since there are pictures here in the thread. I don't live in Franklin any longer and don't know when I'd be back down there to talk to them in person.

Dolomite I'll take a photo of the slide bottom and post it. It may be tomorrow.

Edited by wtl

Thanks everyone! I've emailed EW and invited them to comment here. I figured that was easier than calling and trying to describe it, since there are pictures here in the thread. I don't live in Franklin any longer and don't know when I'd be back down there to talk to them in person.

Dolomite I'll take a photo of the slide bottom and post it. It may be tomorrow.

pu5ahede.jpg

I see a thread hammer on the horizon! LOL!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

I agree with everyone, the gun appears used.  However, I like to pose a question to the OP and others.  What is the definition of new?  Never owned by anyone?  Never fired by anyone outside the factory?    Very shiny and clean?  So how does this compare to buying a new car.  Ever bought a new car with just 0.1 miles on the odometer, or did it have 0.2 miles, 1.0 miles, 2.0 miles, 8 miles, etc.  At what point does the various test drives will cause that new car to be a used car?  Of course, we would negotiate the hound of a new car if it showed 50 miles on the odometer and dealer was trying pass it off as new car, ....its never been titled before thus it must be a new car!  We would accept that, but we would want a discount.  Unless we didn't know to look at the odometer.  

My take, the gun was a demo model or was test driven a lot.  Yes, the OP should have inspected the gun more closer, and looked at the odometer.  Well since guns don't have a odometer, one has to know the tale tale signs to look for.  One would think that one does not have to do this at a business that is selling new guns, but business is business!  I believe in this case the seller gets a point, and the buyer gets no points in the due diligence or art of selling and buying, so the score is 1-0.  Chalk this up as a lessons learned, and take the lesson of impulse buying vs. buying at Academy to heart.  Business is business, unless you have a defective gun or something, its highly likely nothing you can do or prove anyway.  Unless you will feel better by trying to make your point to the business, I doubt you will move the needle at all.  Suggest move on, and never shop there again.   I also suggest if the business has a facebook page, to aire your experience there!  More foot traffic will see it!