I got a ticket and missed my court date! Freaking out a little!

we are subjects and are available to be violated any time they feel like it, apparently. Bet they can't wait to get the plate readers so the law can scan everyone with efficiency, that should generate a boatload of revenue, oh wait, I mean keep us safe.

• Like 1

Your most likely ok. The wheels of justice in traffic court move slowly.  Dad got a ticket and went to pay it the next day since we were down by the courthouse. The lady at the computer told him he didn't have a ticket. Took about 3 weeks before it showed up that he could pay it.

I got a parking ticket once in a town that I've never been to with a car I have never owned. 

It was in a town 2.5 hrs away, had to take a day off of work and show up in person. Judge asked the LEO when I notified them it wasn't my vehicle, he shrugged his shoulders the judge hit the gavel and justice was served. Too bad for lost wages and travel for me.

I got stopped about 6 months ago for what the officer thought was a seat belt violation. He first question upon reaching my window which was already down was, "Are your armed?" and my reply was yes. He asked where the weapon was and I told him on my hip in it's holster. He told me Sir, I pulled you over because you are not wearing your seat belt and I told him that I did have my seat belt buckled and requested permission to open my door and show him. He backed up slightly and I opened my door and he could see I had my lap belt buckled up but don't have a shoulder harness on my drivers side belt. I have a letter from my doctor telling any law enforcement office on my sun visor that due to a medical condition it is highly recommended that I do not wear any restraints across my abdomen. It went on to explain why and offered the letter but Mr LEO was not interested in reading why. He whipped out his citation book ask me for my drivers license and it is located in same compartment as carry permit so I just handed him both and he just handed my carry permit back and went to his car with my DL and wrote me a seat belt ticket. I made sure I went to court and took the doctors letter with me. The judge did take the time to read the letter and then asked the officer if he read the letter or if I offered it to him and he said yes but he didn't read it and the judge said well you should have. Then the judge looked at me, handed me my letter back and ask me if I have handicap tags on my vehicle and I said yes sir and the judge told me I could leave and told me to have a nice day while dismissing the ticket. That was when I learned that your carry permit in some way is connected to your license plates on your vehicle because the officer knew I might be armed before he ever got my drivers license because he ask if I was armed when he first approached my jeep window........jmho

we are subjects and are available to be violated any time they feel like it, apparently. Bet they can't wait to get the plate readers so the law can scan everyone with efficiency, that should generate a boatload of revenue, oh wait, I mean keep us safe.

that's going on already, even better, folks that repossess cars, as seen on tv make money riding around w tag readers on the deck of their cars and back of tow trucks making a lil coin to compile tags.that data gets uploaded to a server and if a repo co or court is looking for someone, they can pay the co to look for the tag and owner, if its a hit, the buyer can pay 200 bucks and more to get the location of that vehicle........oh yeah, you know theres some folks livid over it........but its turning up all kinds of ghosts and absconders

They just emailed me the notice that payment was accepted so YES, I am breathing. :) And about to go pick up my first semi-automatic. :) never bought myself a gun so with all of this I wasn't even going to bother until I knew it was settled. Thank you all for the hand holding!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One tip, keep proof that it is paid for years.  Every now and then you hear a case where someone thought they paid off a ticket years before and it has come back to haunt them.  Myself I have had 2 but don't ask me to prove I paid either.  I know I did but it was before I considered keeping any records.

Second, Be sure to post a picture of your new gun with a range report.  :D

• Like 1

I got stopped about 6 months ago for what the officer thought was a seat belt violation. He first question upon reaching my window which was already down was, "Are your armed?" and my reply was yes. He asked where the weapon was and I told him on my hip in it's holster. He told me Sir, I pulled you over because you are not wearing your seat belt and I told him that I did have my seat belt buckled and requested permission to open my door and show him. He backed up slightly and I opened my door and he could see I had my lap belt buckled up but don't have a shoulder harness on my drivers side belt. I have a letter from my doctor telling any law enforcement office on my sun visor that due to a medical condition it is highly recommended that I do not wear any restraints across my abdomen. It went on to explain why and offered the letter but Mr LEO was not interested in reading why. He whipped out his citation book ask me for my drivers license and it is located in same compartment as carry permit so I just handed him both and he just handed my carry permit back and went to his car with my DL and wrote me a seat belt ticket. I made sure I went to court and took the doctors letter with me. The judge did take the time to read the letter and then asked the officer if he read the letter or if I offered it to him and he said yes but he didn't read it and the judge said well you should have. Then the judge looked at me, handed me my letter back and ask me if I have handicap tags on my vehicle and I said yes sir and the judge told me I could leave and told me to have a nice day while dismissing the ticket. That was when I learned that your carry permit in some way is connected to your license plates on your vehicle because the officer knew I might be armed before he ever got my drivers license because he ask if I was armed when he first approached my jeep window........jmho

I was hesitant to get a permit to carry for that reason, 20 years ago I heard they would know if you had a permit by running your plate. Seems like defacto registration.

I was hesitant to get a permit to carry for that reason, 20 years ago I heard they would know if you had a permit by running your plate. Seems like defacto registration.

It's not that they know just by running your plate... Running your plate tells them who the car is registered to... If they then run your name then any particulars come up...

Or at least that was my understanding of how it was done in MI and I do not claim to know much about TN yet...

• Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="teecro" post="1162001" timestamp="1403574745"]It's not that they know just by running your plate... Running your plate tells them who the car is registered to... If they then run your name then any particulars come up... Or at least that was my understanding of how it was done in MI and I do not claim to know much about TN yet...[/quote] The guy who just got here understands how it works better than life long residents. What's up with that? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 2
[quote name="bersaguy" post="1161906" timestamp="1403559417"]I got stopped about 6 months ago for what the officer thought was a seat belt violation. He first question upon reaching my window which was already down was, "Are your armed?" and my reply was yes. He asked where the weapon was and I told him on my hip in it's holster. He told me Sir, I pulled you over because you are not wearing your seat belt and I told him that I did have my seat belt buckled and requested permission to open my door and show him. He backed up slightly and I opened my door and he could see I had my lap belt buckled up but don't have a shoulder harness on my drivers side belt. I have a letter from my doctor telling any law enforcement office on my sun visor that due to a medical condition it is highly recommended that I do not wear any restraints across my abdomen. It went on to explain why and offered the letter but Mr LEO was not interested in reading why. He whipped out his citation book ask me for my drivers license and it is located in same compartment as carry permit so I just handed him both and he just handed my carry permit back and went to his car with my DL and wrote me a seat belt ticket. I made sure I went to court and took the doctors letter with me. The judge did take the time to read the letter and then asked the officer if he read the letter or if I offered it to him and he said yes but he didn't read it and the judge said well you should have. Then the judge looked at me, handed me my letter back and ask me if I have handicap tags on my vehicle and I said yes sir and the judge told me I could leave and told me to have a nice day while dismissing the ticket. That was when I learned that your carry permit in some way is connected to your license plates on your vehicle because the officer knew I might be armed before he ever got my drivers license because he ask if I was armed when he first approached my jeep window........jmho[/quote] I also got pulled over, and the first question was, "are you carrying a weapon?"

The computer system that runs your plate does NOT show if you have a permit or not.  Please stop spreading this myth, it's been confirmed from multiple sources that you can't tell if somebody has a permit or not from their running their license plate.

Now, they can always run the listed owners background, but that is a separate check and obviously doesn't work in a number of cases (company owned vehicles, etc).

Either way, you're permit is not tied to your license plate, only to your drivers license.

I dont understand why the first question was "are you carrying a weapon". I'm sure the officer is thinking safety but geez, how many law abiding gun owners are a threat? Luckily I've been not pulled over in a long time but I think I would be offended if I were asked this first. 

The computer system that runs your plate does NOT show if you have a permit or not. Please stop spreading this myth, it's been confirmed from multiple sources that you can't tell if somebody has a permit or not from their running their license plate.

Now, they can always run the listed owners background, but that is a separate check and obviously doesn't work in a number of cases (company owned vehicles, etc).

Either way, you're permit is not tied to your license plate, only to your drivers license.

True, but most systems now automatically run the registered owner when running the plate. If the registered owner has a permit, it will show as you mention. I have setup systems around the country including THP and almost all of them are setup to run both automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
[quote name="Slappy" post="1161994" timestamp="1403573308"]Well did you get your Shield or did they just haul you off to the Decatur Co. Clink? :-)[/quote] Oh I got it!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name="vontar" post="1161952" timestamp="1403565624"]One tip, keep proof that it is paid for years. Every now and then you hear a case where someone thought they paid off a ticket years before and it has come back to haunt them. Myself I have had 2 but don't ask me to prove I paid either. I know I did but it was before I considered keeping any records. Second, Be sure to post a picture of your new gun with a range report. :D[/quote] y6ajezu5.jpg Now I have never had a SA before. I have never broken one down and cleaned it, so that was job one yesterday. I did it so anyone can is the new motto here. My first thought was that the recoil was a bit much and I immediately regretted not getting the 9 mm ( I got the .40 cal) but... I think I need more time before I make an opinion. Plan is range tomorrow but this is an exceptionally busy week on the home front so it may get delayed. Thank y'all for asking. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ladyhay
  • Like 1

The computer system that runs your plate does NOT show if you have a permit or not.  Please stop spreading this myth, it's been confirmed from multiple sources that you can't tell if somebody has a permit or not from their running their license plate.

I could if I was running it though Illinois database (not a separate check). Are you saying Tennessee doesn’t have that ability? I think multiple TN Officers on here have said they can.

I could if I was running it though Illinois database (not a separate check). Are you saying Tennessee doesn’t have that ability? I think multiple TN Officers on here have said they can.

Technically, he is correct.  A plate check and a person check are technically two different queries at the the system level.  As I mentioned before, most systems now run the plate, receive the registered owner in the response, and then the system will automatically run the person check on the registered owner as a secondary operation.  So technically, just running a plate doesn't show if someone has a HCP.  In reality, the two happen in tandem so the end result is running a plate does also lead to knowing if the registered owner has a HCP.  The reports may or may not be combined into a single report depending on the system.

Edited by Hozzie

In Tennessee, your driver's license number and your Handgun Carry Permit number are one and the same. Take a look for yourself. As soon as they run your driver's license, they know whether or not you have a Handgun Carry Permit. It's just that easy.

JayC, on 24 Jun 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:snapback.png

This is only offered as what I have heard on a police scanner.  I have heard a tag ran and dispatch reported back that the registered owner of the car/truck had a permit.  This does not appear to be the normal and it does not tell them who is driving at the moment.  It may have been an exception rather the rule.  Maybe they where looking for something specific.

I have also heard a DL called in and when dispatch came back report the person also has a HCP.  Keep in mind at least in TN, the DL and the HCP numbers are the same, so it is just a matter of searching the DB.  Keep in mind, whether or not we like it computers are making the world a much smaller place then it ever was.

I have known about them knowing you have HCP through your license tags for over a year so it didn't surprise me when he asked if I was armed without having my drivers license yet. It would only make total sense for the tags that are on your vehicle would be connected to your motor vehicle registration which is connected to your DL so why would your HCP not be tied to it also? That is becoming the way of the world.

There is no real privacy any longer except if your the President and he has locked up his records so no one knows who he really Is        "but vote for me anyway"  Like Hillary Said."What difference does it make now"?................jmho

• Like 1

Technically, he is correct.  A plate check and a person check are technically two different queries at the the system level.

Unless Tennessee is 30 years behind other states (I'm pretty sure they are not) he is wrong. I could run a plate and get the registered owners, and their DL info, also showing convictions for the last 12 months, with one query. That’s how we did it. That’s why our dispatchers would simply replay with “Owners revoked” sometimes when we ran a plate.
I’m not sure why this is always such a big deal here, but if an Officer was stopping a car, or looking for a car; that would be a good piece of info to have.

I have known about them knowing you have HCP through your license tags for over a year so it didn't surprise me when he asked if I was armed without having my drivers license yet.

But keep in mind, that is also a pretty standard question they ask, to you have any guns, knifes, etc.

How does it help an officer asking if you ar armed? If you are a "good" guy and answer yes, is his mind any further at ease than if he simply had not asked? If you are a "bad" guy and answer no but really are armed should the officer let his guard down? Seriously its kind of a silly question IMHO, as the person who is not a threat will answer honestly and the person who is a threat will not. Am i missing something here?
  • Like 3