Smith & Wesson 642 Necessary?

mhl6493

Not too long ago (thanks to Patton for pointing me in the right direction), I purchased a Smith and Wesson 640-3.  I'm very happy with it.  My primary means of carrying it is in a Galco Ankle Glove.  Long story short, ankle carry works well for me given my circumstances.  The only difficulty I'm experiencing so far is the weight of the 640.  It's all steel, and by the end of the day, it gets pretty heavy.  It's doable, but I know it's there.

I'm considering trying to find a good deal on a 642 no lock model - a little smaller, and a lot lighter.  However, there are so many other guns I'd like to get, and money doesn't grow on trees -- it's hard in some ways for me to justify buying another J-frame when I already have one that I like just fine and that I can make work in my given situation.

Have any of y'all been in my position (or a similar one) before?  Did you spring for the 642?  Did it make a big difference in your ankle carry comfort level?  

I don't really want to get into the merits/demerits of ankle carry here.  I know that it has limitations -- believe me.  But as things stand right now, it works best for me (at least when I'm not carrying my LCP in a Bulldog PDA Holster or my pocket).

Thanks!

What would be the downside to the 642 for you? Just felt recoil? If so, do you use it as a range toy often, or do you have other guns for that purpose?

Do you have to keep the 640? Is buying a 642 and seling the 640 an option?

Sorry for all the questions. To me, those are the issues it comes down to, and your answers may be different than mine. In my situation, I have plenty of other range guns to expend ammo in, and also, I'm not very recoil sensitive. If I were in your situation, I would get a 642 and sell the 640 because in my mind, it is simply a carry gun and I want every advantage on my side in making me more likely to have it with me when I needed it. Who am I kiddin'... I'm a Smith & Wesson fanatic... I'll probably eventually have both models! Heck, I have a range bag full of M&Ps!

Whatever you choose, best of luck and happy shootin'!
  • Like 2
I know what you mean about the money thing. It's hard to justify another j-frame. However, it sounds like you know what you really want. Sell the 640 and get a super light j-frame. You may take a small hit but it's worth it IMHO.

I often carry a .38 bodyguard j-frame. Super light and I kind of dig the recoil. It's a little fire cracker.
  • Like 1

What would be the downside to the 642 for you? Just felt recoil? If so, do you use it as a range toy often, or do you have other guns for that purpose?

Do you have to keep the 640? Is buying a 642 and seling the 640 an option?

Sorry for all the questions. To me, those are the issues it comes down to, and your answers may be different than mine. In my situation, I have plenty of other range guns to expend ammo in, and also, I'm not very recoil sensitive. If I were in your situation, I would get a 642 and sell the 640 because in my mind, it is simply a carry gun and I want every advantage on my side in making me more likely to have it with me when I needed it. Who am I kiddin'... I'm a Smith & Wesson fanatic... I'll probably eventually have both models! Heck, I have a range bag full of M&Ps!

Whatever you choose, best of luck and happy shootin'!

The only downside of the 642 to me is the cost -- having to buy it when I already have a j-frame that I can make work with ankle carry.  Selling the 640 is certainly a possibility, and would take care of the cost factor -- but I'm kinda partial to Smith and Wesson revolvers myself  :D I really want to keep it -- even though it wouldn't have a specific carry purpose any longer if the 642 was on my ankle.  Lots of things to think about...

I had a 642 and loved it. Times got hard in college and had to sale it. Wish I would never had. I will have another some day. You will not go wrong. Buy it and don't look back. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Edited by babelt
  • Like 1

The downside to the airweights is the recoil; while it is almost half the weight of your 640 it has what feels like twice the recoil comparing 38's to 38's. I shoot an all steel j frame wit twice the accuracy of an airweight. Airweights also tend to have finishes that less than superb after a little carry. For me though ankle carry is not very smart since I am not flexible and have back trouble. Sitting is about the only time I can deploy an ankle carried firearm effectively. There are a lot of baby Glocks being carried on ankles that weigh more than our 640's. I have completed cleaned my collection of airweights but I still find myself trying to acquire another one. I do have an early 70's Charter Arms Undercover(15oz) that feels that void. Dimensionally that Undercover is a hair smaller as well. Mine was about $250 but I have seen them for as little as $200 recently. A6DF20EE-AA90-40BA-BB03-29B9F752A8BB-121

Do not sell your 640 because it is not easily replaceable, an instant classic, and twice the shooter with magnum versatility.

Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

The downside to the airweights is the recoil; while it is almost half the weight of your 640 it has what feels like twice the recoil comparing 38's to 38's. I shoot an all steel j frame wit twice the accuracy of an airweight. Airweights also tend to have finishes that less than superb after a little carry. For me though ankle carry is not very smart since I am not flexible and have back trouble. Sitting is about the only time I can deploy an ankle carried firearm effectively. There are a lot of baby Glocks being carried on ankles that weigh more than our 640's. I have completed cleaned my collection of airweights but I still find myself trying to acquire another one. I do have an early 70's Charter Arms Undercover(15oz) that feels that void. Dimensionally that Undercover is a hair smaller as well. Mine was about $250 but I have seen them for as little as $200 recently. A6DF20EE-AA90-40BA-BB03-29B9F752A8BB-121

Thanks, Patton.  I spend a lot of time sitting during the day as well, either at my desk or in my car.  That's one of the reasons I went with ankle carry.  I definitely like an all-steel revolver, and I love my 640.  May just have to tough it out and get used to it, while I keep my eyes open for a fairly cheap alternative. 

And as far as the recoil of a 642 is concerned, I've actually never shot one.  I've read a lot about it, but I have no personal experience.  Definitely not bad with the 640 - even manageable with .357 loads.

Keep the 640. You'll regret selling or trading it. Save up money and buy the 642 (or 442) when you can. Then transition the 640 to an IWB or small of back carry. You can New York reload when the opportunity permits. Speed loaders are interchangeable and most holsters will accommodate the extra barrel length. You can never have enough revolvers, even if they seem like duplicates!    

• Like 3

As a disclaimer, I probably know less about S&W revolvers than anyone else who's posted here.  That said, I'd try to shoot a 442/642 before I made any moves.  You may not like it and then the point is moot.  I'd think you could find a shop near with a rental or maybe a TGOer near you willing to help out.  (I'm not near you nor do I own a 442/642 or I'd offer.)

That said, I'm thinking you'll run across more 442/642s than you will 640s so if you like the 640 (other than the ankle carry issue) I'd be slow to part with the 640 and look at other funding options first.

My $0.02.

• Like 2

As a disclaimer, I probably know less about S&W revolvers than anyone else who's posted here.  That said, I'd try to shoot a 442/642 before I made any moves.  You may not like it and then the point is moot.  I'd think you could find a shop near with a rental or maybe a TGOer near you willing to help out.  (I'm not near you nor do I own a 442/642 or I'd offer.)

That said, I'm thinking you'll run across more 442/642s than you will 640s so if you like the 640 (other than the ankle carry issue) I'd be slow to part with the 640 and look at other funding options first.

My $0.02.

Definitely.  640s are pretty hard to find right now.  It's not going anywhere, no matter what I eventually decide about adding the 642.

Buds gun shop has a make offer tab on their 642 listings. They also offer free shipping to your FFL. The best way I've found to save up money for a new gun is to start a swear jar. I figure since I'm the one that contributes most of the "donations" I should be the one to spend the money, lol. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]
  • Like 1

My pictures never turn out that great.  Just your basic 442, without an internal lock.  That part was a nice added benefit.

[URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/mhlittleton/media/100_0714_zps93fa8434.jpg.html]100_0714_zps93fa8434.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

How do you like your 442? I like the size and weight of the 442, but don't shoot it very often. It's a good decision to keep the 640, if you enjoy shooting it.

Yeah, the 640 isn't going anywhere.  Haven't actually had a chance to shoot the 442 yet, but I love the way it looks and feels.  Trying it out in my ankle rig today.  Compared the 640, can't even tell it's there.  Very nice!