world war z

• Moderators
[quote name="Ted S." post="1162039" timestamp="1403584928"]Not to disrupt this thread, as I also logically fear fast moving zombies.....but I could not finish watching that movie. It was a disappointment to me...[/quote] If you were expecting it to resemble in any way the nook, it would be. I had to approach it as a completely separate animal that shared only the name in common. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1
[quote name="Chucktshoes" post="1162057" timestamp="1403610746"]If you were expecting it to resemble in any way the nook, it would be. I had to approach it as a completely separate animal that shared only the name in common.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote] You still have a nook? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
[quote name="TMF" post="1162065" timestamp="1403612809"]You still have a nook?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] Haha! Book damn it. Book. Of course autocorrect doesn't do anything useful. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

If you were expecting it to resemble in any way the nook, it would be. I had to approach it as a completely separate animal that shared only the name in common. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I never read the book.... I just guess I either look at hypothetical situations the wrong way or according to my twisted view of human nature. In the movie it just seems that when SHTF, people ignored malum in se laws like theft withough thinking about it, but malum prohibitum laws they would hesitate...If anything, I would expect this to be the other way around.

I also just hated the pacing. The pacing drove me crazy.

• Like 1
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1162130" timestamp="1403625785"]I found the movie entertaining and visually stimulating. I have never read the book but would like to.[/quote] The book is really well done. It reminds me of WWII specials on the history channel in which folks from that era and conflict recount their experiences; only this is a zombie war. It seems designed for people who like zombie survival flicks and history... like gun people. It's really hard to put down. I read the second half of the book in one sitting. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
[quote name="TMF" post="1162209" timestamp="1403640575"]The book is really well done. It reminds me of WWII specials on the history channel in which folks from that era and conflict recount their experiences; only this is a zombie war. It seems designed for people who like zombie survival flicks and history... like gun people. It's really hard to put down. I read the second half of the book in one sitting.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] That is exactly what it was supposed to do. Max Brooks was inspired by Studs Terkel's Pulitzer Prize winning book "The Good War: An Oral History of World War Two". Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The book is really well done. It reminds me of WWII specials on the history channel in which folks from that era and conflict recount their experiences; only this is a zombie war. It seems designed for people who like zombie survival flicks and history... like gun people. It's really hard to put down. I read the second half of the book in one sitting.

Yeah, book is cool in that you can read each "report" in 5-10 minute sessions. That is, like you say, if you can limit yourself to that. ;)

- OS

I never read the book.... I just guess I either look at hypothetical situations the wrong way or according to my twisted view of human nature. In the movie it just seems that when SHTF, people ignored malum in se laws like theft withough thinking about it, but malum prohibitum laws they would hesitate...If anything, I would expect this to be the other way around.

I also just hated the pacing. The pacing drove me crazy.

I don't think that's just a movie thing.  It's deliberate conditioning.  

Mala in se:  "Hey, that rich family left a pie on the windowsill to cool.  I'm hungry.  Food is a right.  I'm taking it"  No problem there....  Hey, they're hungry.

Mala prohibitum:  "Hey!  Is that a masheeeeen guunnnn?!?!  You must be one of those crazy people!"  Uh oh!  Call da law!

Haven't seen the movie yet, though.  Want to, just haven't been able.  

• Like 2

The book is really well done. It reminds me of WWII specials on the history channel in which folks from that era and conflict recount their experiences; only this is a zombie war. It seems designed for people who like zombie survival flicks and history... like gun people. It's really hard to put down. I read the second half of the book in one sitting. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a preview of it on my phone a while back, It was engrossing to say the least.

I have been watching The World Wars on the History channel, it makes me never want to turn it off.

To me the the best part of the movie was the way the zombies would just ant pile obstacles  to get over them.

To me the the best part of the movie was the way the zombies would just ant pile obstacles  to get over them.

In the book, I believe the only example of that happening over a barrier was in the Israeli situation, though it also happens to some extent on battlefields where they pile up as they are killed.

But all more slowly -- the Fast Zed Syndrome was added for the flick. In the already nonsensical "logic" of Zombieism, it really makes little "sense" that a reanimated corpse would be faster than it was in real life after all.

In 28 Days After and 28 Weeks After, they aren't really zombies, but just living people infected by the rage virus.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...