Where are all these M1 Carbines Coming from?

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

In the past few weeks I've seen about a dozen recently surplused M1 Carbines, many from Isreal, coming up for sale. There is a vendor in TN that has 5 in inventory.

When I was in Colorado, I saw about 50 of them at a local gunshow. All appeared recently released and not coming out of the closet.

I've only seen a small handful with import marks. I'm guessing they are LEO trade ins or CMP guns. Anyone know for certain?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

The recent batch from CMP were the last of the 25,000 or so we loaned to Isreal back in the '50s, right?

An importer back in the late 80's (AIM?), that brought in about 8,000 and there were a smaller group that came in during the 90's (if I remember right it was around 3,000).

SOG brought in those POS Korean repatriations in the 80s along with Bluesky, then SARCO brought in a bunch in even worse shape a couple years ago.

These I've been seeing seem pretty clean. Not what I'm used to seeing. One in Denver was a nearly mint R.A. rebuild to M2 Spec and converted back. Were I still in the Carbine business there are 2 I examined this week that were post war re-builds and Isreali repatriations, one with a rare SA 52 barrel and stamped trigger guard that would have been worth my wallet's attention. (Most collectors go for "as from" the factory, I tend to lean towards "as from the field").

Edited by gcrookston
The recent batch from CMP were the last of the 25,000 or so we loaned to Isreal back in the '50s, right?

Hard to say. All CMP will tell you definitively is that they are "from the Army". Sales page now says from several countries. Many are from Italy, or at least were rebuilt there as evidenced from the big FAT stamp on many stocks. That was the case back in June when I bought mine.

Although the sales page says many manufacturers are sold out they still have thousands (my estimate) that have not been made ready for sale.

I recommend that everyone gets one! They are the funnest little guns ever!

Edited by Garufa
Guest gcrookston
Glen, I just got 500 rounds of 30 carbine and 500 rounds of Lake City 30/06. I’m thinking about going shooting tomorrow.

Dang, Dave. I wish I could go. My Fiscal year-end is 10-31 and I'm belly-button deep in @#$@-reports due by the 15th. After that I'm good to go until about March, 2009.

I can go next weekend, though, PM me. I'll either have all these crap reports done, or I'll be living in Joe's van down by the river at Herogear....

Edited by gcrookston
Dang, Dave. I wish I could go. My Fiscal year-end is 10-31 and I'm belly-button deep in @#$@-reports due by the 15th. After that I'm good to go until about March, 2009.

I can go next weekend, though, PM me. I'll either have all these crap reports done, or I'll be living in Joe's van down by the river at Herogear....

Okay we’ll get together later. I have to shoot somewhere this weekend because I have a new M&P I want to carry and I haven’t shot it yet.

Some of you guys with Garands or 03’s may be interested to know that CMP now has finished Black Walnut Stock sets.

I didn’t want to refinish my original so I bought a Wenig stock. I don’t know who is making these for CMP but most people that have them say the fit and finish is excellent.

GARAND WALNUT STOCK SETS WITH METAL NOW AVAILABLE: Stock set is newly manufactured. Consists of American Black Walnut with linseed oil finish. The stock set closely resembles WWII era M1 Garand stocks in fit and finish. No bulky areas or unsightly metal to wood fitment when compared to other commercial offerings. Stock set includes: Stock, front and rear hand guards, stock and handguard metal (newly manufactured) already installed. Stock set pre-fitted to insure easy assembly. Each stock hand stamped with CMP cartouche. Stock set price: $149.95 plus S&H.

M1903 WALNUT STOCK SETS NOW AVAILABLE: Stock set is newly manufactured of American Black Walnut. Consists of "C" type (pistol grip) stock and matching handguard. Limited quantity. Price is $164.95 plus S&H.

I dunno where they are coming from but I am proud to own one.

I went to a local surplus store this weekend and they had a couple of M2 mags. I picked up one and am going to get one more. He also had two mags and a connector for them. debating if I need to have two 30 round mags like this, but they were very reasonably priced.

Nothing beats good old US GI firearms. The rollmarks are just one example of what we offered VS. other countries wartime goods. My M1 has roll marks deeper and more fine than any other rifle I own. Heck the rollmarks on my post war M44 seem like an after thought compared to what we put out mid war.

In that era, the expression 'good enough for government work' meant it met very high standards indeed. Good designs executed with quality material and workmanship. You'd have a job convincing me that any modern firearms are the bargain that these surplus carbines and rifles are.

In that era, the expression 'good enough for government work' meant it met very high standards indeed. Good designs executed with quality material and workmanship. You'd have a job convincing me that any modern firearms are the bargain that these surplus carbines and rifles are.

Darn right Mark. Years back in the printing industry we used the "good enough for gov't work" saying. Now days I am not so sure it holds the same meaning.

My M1 is a fine rifle and is exemplary of that quote. And is some of the best money I have ever spent.

Look at the price of a newly manufactured M1 carbine these days. Over 1000 bucks. And I doubt very much that compared to my 65year old battle rifle it is any better aside from not having love marks on the stock.

Check these newly made M1's in 65 years and I bet they do not hold up.

Mike, I doubt I will care much in 65 years :tough:

But stop by the house in a month or so and check out the Garand I picked out.

bastard, :lol: leave out some 30-06 and I will be happy to check it out for you. Someone needs to make sure it operates properly, I volunteer.

I think I will not care so much in 25 years, but hopefully my grandkids will.

Plenty of '06 at the house, feel free. The Garand is to the carbine as an F350 is to a radio flyer wagon. One is a lot of fun - the other is serious business.

Sigh... Sue has adopted two of my guns in as many weeks... I'm just glad the Garand is a little too big for her.

Edited by Mark@Sea
Guest gcrookston
hey, take a trip down to hero gear. he's got some beautiful ones for sale :clap:

I was at Herogear last week and examined an exceptionally nice M1 Garand. It appears to have been set up for competition (?). A DCM gun from back in the day, I would guess. Several nice M1 carbines. There is one in the used rack with the wrong rear sight on it, but an easy fix. But get Joe or Dan to show the couple he has in back... Either of those are sweet keepers. I am tempted to take home both of them

I was at Herogear last week and examined an exceptionally nice M1 Garand. It appears to have been set up for competition (?). A DCM gun from back in the day, I would guess. Several nice M1 carbines. There is one in the used rack with the wrong rear sight on it, but an easy fix. But get Joe or Dan to show the couple he has in back... Either of those are sweet keepers. I am tempted to take home both of them

oh Lord. the temptation!!!!!

I'm already into Joe for one paintjob. My wife saw HIS wife's paintjob on her ar..and wants it for her 10/22...so at some point in time I've either got to mail it to him for the paintjob or drive down there. more than likely it'll be mailed since I'm heading to mississippi in about a week...with no time to go to Winchester.