Not trying to rekindle the 9mm vs. .45 debate but this was interesting

I find it funny that her main reasoning for the .45 was muzzle energy. I guess she didn't realize that the 9mm and .45 share virtually identical muzzle energy. It's about mass. Of course anytime someone claims the .45 is a "one shot stopper" compared to everything else, I stop listening.
  • Like 2

So what are you trying to do?

There was a hint of sarcasm there. I do enjoy reading different peoples reasoning behind their chosen side though. I carry a 9mm but own both but it mostly stems from before I started reloading and since my wife shoots a 9, by switching to the same, i'd only have to keep that caliber on hand which happened to be a lot cheaper per round. 

[quote name="Smith" post="1163022" timestamp="1403840868"]Of course anytime someone claims the .45 is a "one shot stopper" compared to everything else, I stop listening.[/quote] Or "A 9mm might expand but a .45 will never shrink" Or "because I only want to have to shoot once" What was that about caliber war? Lol
  • Like 1

:bored:
 "Substantial funds were poured into testing, all because the military was finally ready to acknowledge what firearms aficionados have known for years: although the 9mm is a capable round and all rounds work only if applied properly to the target, .45 ACP is, quite simply, a one-shot stopper."

:shake:

I find it funny that her main reasoning for the .45 was muzzle energy. I guess she didn't realize that the 9mm and .45 share virtually identical muzzle energy. It's about mass. Of course anytime someone claims the .45 is a "one shot stopper" compared to everything else, I stop listening.

I was just about to type a comment saying that when I read the comment about a .45 being a 'one shot stopper', I quit reading.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Luke, you might as well have posted "AK or AR" ...

Well I was bored so I told myself that I was going to post whichever I saw an article on that I'd never seen before. Obviously I found the 9mm vs. .45 first ;)

A 45acp hardball is not a one shot stopper......but it's better than the 9mm FMJ.  If the military must use FMJ ammo, then let them use the 45acp.

This is the answer that makes sense.  Civilians don't normally use FMJ for self defense.  With all the wonder bullet designs we have at our disposal 9, 40 & 45 all do a good job.  The funny thing is that according to recorded results from real life shootings even the .44 mag isn't always a one shot stopper.  A very large percentage of folks shot by police with hollow points survive.

• Like 1
Guest glock2723@gmail.com
Whether it's a 45 cal or 9mm just carry and practice as much as possible. Combat shooting puts some pressure on you and even though nobody is shooting back it will force you to act under some stress Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not an expert, but would opine one shot stops from a handgun are due to placement not energy, caliber, expansion or magic.

Since I'm not a special forces operator and do not have a similar training program, I'll stick with more rounds of cheaper-to-practice-with 9mm

If I want to send some additional handgun heat down range, I'll break out my .357

With my limited ballistical knowledge, if I was Leo or military, I think I'd want a high cap in .357sig.
  • Like 2
Guest theconstitutionrocks

Debate isn't required...regardless of the caliber it boils down to two words...

shot...placement