watch thread

I searched and really couldn't find anything on this topic. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Anyways I'm going to be in the market soon for a nice dress watch that I can wear to work events and nights out with the wife. I've been looking in the Breitling Superocean or Omega Seamaster range. I don't care to buy used as long as it can be verified authentic or I trust the person selling it. I've also looked at some nice Seiko's, and Citizen's as well. This will be my first "nice" watch.

I'm just now kind of getting the watch bug, so I'm sure there are some good brands out there that I'm overlooking, or that I don't know much about. For instance Bulova? Are they a good watch? Also what about Movado? A well known brand that I also know squat about is Tag, but none of their watches stand out to me for some reason. Keep in mind I'm looking for a dress watch, not one I will were everyday. So lets have those watch opinions!

I've had a Philip Stein for about 5 or so years. Wear it with anything too. Mid range on the price also (<$1000). Hope I can keep up with this thread as I don't get notifications for some reason any more.
  • Like 1

I've had a Seiko watch over ten years and wear it daily.  I recently got a Tag Heuer but it will see the rough environments the Seiko has seen.

I was just over on ebay looking more closely at some Tag Heuer's. I found several I did like pretty well. Which model did you get?

I've had a Philip Stein for about 5 or so years. Wear it with anything too. Mid range on the price also (<$1000). Hope I can keep up with this thread as I don't get notifications for some reason any more.

Never heard of them before, I'll have to check them out, thanks

I've worn a 1968 Rolex Air King since 1982. Stainless with a black face and smooth bezel. Understated and classy (imho)

What I can tell you about Rolex is they do strongly recommend service every 3-5 years to have the crown gasket replaced, guts cleaned/oiled, worn parts replaced and case pressure checked. On my watch runs about $300.

The service also includes case and band buffed and polished as well as the crystal replaced (I don't have a scratch resistant sapphire crystal)

Pretty much looks like new after my guy sends it back.

I assume a lot of higher end watches have some kind of recommended maintenance intervals.

Dad has a Corum, gold case with leather band, wedding gift from Mom in 1963. Mechanical (obviously) and thinner than many quartz movement watches out there.

From watching hard core pawn, apparently there is a website where you can enter the watch serial number to determine if real or a "Molex"
  • Like 3

I am a G- Shock "collector". There are so many you can choose from. In my opinion the Casio G Shock is the toughest in the world. I own 6 and my nost recent purchase I will add below is of my GA1000FC-1ACR modeling with my edc 19. I think you would really like the MTG and Aviator series of G Shocks. You should give them a google. My next is gonna be the GWA1100-1A3. ebe5y3uq.jpgysa9ejuq.jpg

I am a G- Shock "collector". There are so many you can choose from. In my opinion the Casio G Shock is the toughest in the world. I own 6 and my nost recent purchase I will add below is of my GA1000FC-1ACR modeling with my edc 19. I think you would really like the MTG and Aviator series of G Shocks. You should give them a google. My next is gonna be the GWA1100-1A3. 

Good looking watch! I plan to own a g shock one day, but right now it doesnt really fit the bill of what I'm looking for in a dress watch. Great pics too btw.

• Like 1

I have been a Seiko wearer for many years. Got my first one as a Xmas present from my parents. The great thing of it was I wore it for five years and had to set it twice a year. Broke the band and lost it. Settled for a lower end Seiko after that. It kept time great but didn't hold up as well as the first. Got a fossil as a training reward from Chrysler after that. It was a good watch for about 8 years. Quit wearing a watch after that. Cell phone era. For fathers/birthday my wife got me a good Seiko from Macys at their Father's Day sale. It is as good a quality as the first one. sa2ajyny.jpg JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Edited by jtmaze
  • Like 1

I like my Citizen Skyhawk eco-drive watch so much, I was thinking of buying it's less fancy brother to wear as an alternative to spread the wear-and-tear. Never did though. I've become a big fan of the look and feel of titanium bands.

40048168.jpg

• Like 1

I searched and really couldn't find anything on this topic. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Anyways I'm going to be in the market soon for a nice dress watch that I can wear to work events and nights out with the wife. I've been looking in the Breitling Superocean or Omega Seamaster range. I don't care to buy used as long as it can be verified authentic or I trust the person selling it. I've also looked at some nice Seiko's, and Citizen's as well. This will be my first "nice" watch.

I'm just now kind of getting the watch bug, so I'm sure there are some good brands out there that I'm overlooking, or that I don't know much about. For instance Bulova? Are they a good watch? Also what about Movado? A well known brand that I also know squat about is Tag, but none of their watches stand out to me for some reason. Keep in mind I'm looking for a dress watch, not one I will were everyday. So lets have those watch opinions!

I'm a little conflicted - it's difficult to recommend a watch here:

Reasons:

1. Price classes of watches. Please elaborate on what you can spend, and what you would be comfortable spending and what you really WANT to spend.

Biggest issue of them all, here - Breitling/Omega are at the higher end of the spectrum, step down to Tag Hauer/Movado/Bulova - these are highly dependent on the model/movement. Seiko and Citizen - also depends on the model/movement.

2. Movement/power source - Mechanical : Automatic, Hand Wind ... Battery/solar/"kinetic"/electromechanical

3. Design: It seems like you want a dive watch - is this correct? That's the only design queue I've picked up on from specific models listed (Superocean/Seamaster) - You want it to stand out? How much so? As in "loud" or just unusual? Is this watch a "statement piece" as in "i've made it" or "I don't care about your rules" or "hot damn this is the coolest watch that's ever graced a human wrist?" Or do you just want a super classy wristwatch, that you can be proud of and later hand down?

[quote name="cj0e" post="1163550" timestamp="1403992729"]I'm a little conflicted - it's difficult to recommend a watch here: Reasons: 1. Price classes of watches. Please elaborate on what you can spend, and what you would be comfortable spending and what you really WANT to spend. Biggest issue of them all, here - Breitling/Omega are at the higher end of the spectrum, step down to Tag Hauer/Movado/Bulova - these are highly dependent on the model/movement. Seiko and Citizen - also depends on the model/movement. 2. Movement/power source - Mechanical : Automatic, Hand Wind ... Battery/solar/"kinetic"/electromechanical 3. Design: It seems like you want a dive watch - is this correct? That's the only design queue I've picked up on from specific models listed (Superocean/Seamaster) - You want it to stand out? How much so? As in "loud" or just unusual? Is this watch a "statement piece" as in "i've made it" or "I don't care about your rules" or "hot damn this is the coolest watch that's ever graced a human wrist?" Or do you just want a super classy wristwatch, that you can be proud of and later hand down?[/quote] Im looking in the neighborhood of 1500-1800 or less. Yes i want a dive watch. Its not a statement piece, if i wanted that id be looking for a new Rolex lol. Just a nice watch is all i want that has great quality and keeps time well. The breitling and omega at that price range would obviously be used. The more i look at the Tag Heuer aquaracer the more i like it. Also Citizens are starting to catch my eye more as well. Hershmeister i forgot about Tissot, ill have to check them out as well thanks!

There are lot's of great watches out there from less than $100 to many thousands of dollars.  I own a very old Omega dress watch but I've owned Seiko watches since the mid-70's and they've always served me very well.  They can run from a couple of hundred to several thousand.  I guess it just depends on what you like and are willing to spend.  Breitling has been on my short list for quite some time...maybe this year...  ;)

• Like 1

Im looking in the neighborhood of 1500-1800 or less. Yes i want a dive watch. Its not a statement piece, if i wanted that id be looking for a new Rolex lol. Just a nice watch is all i want that has great quality and keeps time well. The breitling and omega at that price range would obviously be used. The more i look at the Tag Heuer aquaracer the more i like it. Also Citizens are starting to catch my eye more as well. Hershmeister i forgot about Tissot, ill have to check them out as well thanks!

I have the Citizen Aqualand too. Stole it from a student for 90 bucks. Just needed a new strap and a battery and works perfect. I took it on a few dives and it's nice enough but it's definitely not up to some of the features of the nicer dive watches (and I generally prefer an analog face - it's the older model). I don't dive anymore but I do wear it sometimes when I have put the Skyhawk in a safe place.

I took the skyhawk on a couple of dives too and it did fine. It's rated to 100ft. Given it's supposed to be for aviation, that's a bit concerning :)

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

It's definitely not anything like what you've listed so far... but here's an interesting option.

A Longines Legend Dive Watch from their heritage collection.

That'll be firmly topping out your budget.

If you want a dive watch at the lower end of that budget - but it'll be a "big" watch (I don't like big for dressy, personally)

Check out Deep Blue

If you want a dive watch, that wears small, and as such will pass the dressy factor easily, and won't break the bank. At all....

Seiko 007 or Seiko Sumo.

Good luck! There's just way too many out there!

@btq96r .... no fair reminding me about watchrecon. no fair.

• Like 1

A watch is something where I know exactly what I want, and am willing to pay top dollar for it!

White on black for contrast, analog display with second hand,  large enough to read easily without reading glasses, and manual light up dial.

The Timex Indiglo T280719J,  32 clams. :)

T28071_2.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread up. I (finally!) ordered a watch this morning. I went with a Tissot. After Hershmeister recommended them, I got to looking at them and decided it was the one that fit the bill best for what I was looking for.

And thanks to the member here who recommended watchrecon. Its where I found my Tissot, and a new forum for me to lurk on, watchuseek.com.

Anyways, pics when it arrives!